Sponsored by:

Where to buy maintenance items

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 04:51 AM
Jacob_Seattle
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Where to buy maintenance items

I would like to ask you Rennlisters where you are buying your normal maintenance parts. There was a great list on the M5 board that I found for both my e39 M5 and my e34 M5s. There seem to be so many parts, but I do want to just buy the OEM versions. Moreover, there are a lot of variations with our 996s and I just want to get the purchasing correct the first time. Any and all help much appreciated. I have been searching the forum, but have not yet found a comprehensive list. If you know of one, please post it. I normally source from Pelican and they seem to have the "OEM" for our cars, but they list many options.

2003 996tt, tippy

Here is my specific List:

1. Motor oil, filter and all needed crush washers. I also would like to add a magnetic drainplug. Which version of the Mobil 1 is the best for the Turbo?

2. New headlight blubs. Is this the correct version for a 03 bi xenon?
https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...VSVSI=919#tab1

3. Brake pads and rotors, I don't need them yet, but will soon.

4. Diff oil, which ones are you guys using and where are buying it?

5. Trans fluid for the Tippy

6. Headlight switch, apparently these are pretty easy to go bad?

7. Coils and spark plugs

8. Fuel filter

I had a super clean PPI and the car only has 34k miles. I also will do the brake fluid, alignment and fix some of the inner trim pieces. I am open to any other suggestions on the preventative maintenance side. I have no maintenance records for my car. Thank you all once again.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:10 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 326 Posts

RM European.com. ECS Tuning.com, FCP Euro.com, Pelican Parts.com, etc, etc, etc
Old 01-15-2019, 11:39 AM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

www.warehouse33auto.com is a sponsor here, and the owner, Jason, is also a 996tt owner and active on this board. His prices and his shipping are typically cheaper than the other parts houses, then on top of that, he gives another 10% discount if you use the promo codes "996outpost" or "Rennlist". That's where I normally start, then I'll go check a couple of other sites just to verify that warehouse33auto is cheaper or at least about the same. Once in a while I'll find something cheaper, but usually just a couple of bucks, and I still buy from Jason because I know the customer service will be outstanding. Although his parts get shipped from the exact same warehouses as the big boys (like Pelican), Jason's company is a small one and the personal service you get is unmatched.

For dealer-only parts, Sunset Porsche is a good one, and Jason will even tell you that they are often cheaper on the dealer-only stuff.

I use Motul 5w-40 8100 X-cess, which is pretty highly regarded oil. I don't want to start an oil thread, and I don't track my car (only autocross), so YMMV. But, that particular oil I buy in 5 liter jugs from Amazon at $42.67 including shipping:
Amazon Amazon

The headlight switches do go bad, but you may be thinking of the ignition switch, which will definitely go bad at some point, usually at the worst possible moment. There are a ton of threads on here and the regular 996 forum on what part to order and how to replace it. It is an easy DIY. Cheap part (under $30 for the high quality version). Not a bad idea to go ahead and get the part and the little screwdriver tip you'll need to swap it out, and then throw them both in your door pocket so that you have them when inevitably the failure strikes. Having the part and tool on hand in advance turns a day-ruining breakdown into a 30-minute hiccup.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:57 AM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by GWIT996F
The headlight switches do go bad, but you may be thinking of the ignition switch, which will definitely go bad at some point, usually at the worst possible moment. There are a ton of threads on here and the regular 996 forum on what part to order and how to replace it. It is an easy DIY. Cheap part (under $30 for the high quality version). Not a bad idea to go ahead and get the part and the little screwdriver tip you'll need to swap it out, and then throw them both in your door pocket so that you have them when inevitably the failure strikes. Having the part and tool on hand in advance turns a day-ruining breakdown into a 30-minute hiccup.
Really good advice, I'm going to pick one up soon! Thanks
Old 01-15-2019, 01:16 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Pelican Parts - ECS Tuning - Suncoast Porsche - Rock Auto
Old 01-15-2019, 04:11 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

NAPA
Old 01-15-2019, 05:28 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

mobil 1 oil from walmart in 5 qt jugs 25$
filters mahle 10 pack 75$ from ebay
crush washers from koperformance 10 sets maybe 5$
ignition switch pelican
Old 01-15-2019, 06:01 PM
rael
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 60 Posts

...and some online Porsche dealers are much cheaper than Pelican. I order online at chandler porshce and pick up.

Coolant tank $125
I think it's over $150 at Pelican
Old 01-15-2019, 08:19 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Old 01-15-2019, 08:40 PM
Jacob_Seattle
Instructor

Awesome info, thanks all.

How about the headlights? Are those the correct bulbs?
Old 01-15-2019, 08:42 PM
Jacob_Seattle
Instructor

Originally Posted by GWIT996F
www.warehouse33auto.com is a sponsor here, and the owner, Jason, is also a 996tt owner and active on this board. His prices and his shipping are typically cheaper than the other parts houses, then on top of that, he gives another 10% discount if you use the promo codes "996outpost" or "Rennlist". That's where I normally start, then I'll go check a couple of other sites just to verify that warehouse33auto is cheaper or at least about the same. Once in a while I'll find something cheaper, but usually just a couple of bucks, and I still buy from Jason because I know the customer service will be outstanding. Although his parts get shipped from the exact same warehouses as the big boys (like Pelican), Jason's company is a small one and the personal service you get is unmatched.

For dealer-only parts, Sunset Porsche is a good one, and Jason will even tell you that they are often cheaper on the dealer-only stuff.

I use Motul 5w-40 8100 X-cess, which is pretty highly regarded oil. I don't want to start an oil thread, and I don't track my car (only autocross), so YMMV. But, that particular oil I buy in 5 liter jugs from Amazon at $42.67 including shipping: https://www.amazon.com/Motul-007250-...rds=motul+8100

This is exactly what I am looking for, thanks for the knowledge.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:00 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,463 Posts

Mostly mentioned, but my go-to places are:

Many, but not all OE or OEM Porsche parts at great prices:
www.fcpeuro.com (lifetime replacement on parts)
www.rmeuropean.com (local to me, so free overnight shipping for local pickup)
www.warehouse33auto.com (sponsor, and Jason has a great rep, but their website drives me nuts)
www.autohausaz.com (fewest parts from these guys, but best prices on some items)

Full Porsche OE parts way cheaper than my local dealer, if I can't get them from the above:
www.suncoastparts.com (rarely the cheapest, but sometimes have accessories on sale)
www.sunsetporscheparts.com (watch shipping charges)
www.sonnenporscheoemparts.com
local dealer occasionally for lower cost items where saving the shipping cost offsets their "list price plus 20%" absurd pricing.

Other great sources:
www.Amazon.com
Always check Amazon as well, especially for prime shipping items. Once you have the porsche part number, plug it on on Amazon (remove any dots, dashes, or spaces from the part number)
I've purchased a ton of Porsche parts from them at great prices with 2 day delivery, like hood and frunk struts, Mann and Mahle filters, Delvac gear oil (front diff, manual transmission), OEM clutch slave accumulator, etc.

www.Rockauto.com
RockAuto also has some amazing prices, but be EXTRA careful that you are ordering the correct parts... Their website will often list 996 non-turbo parts as correct for a Turbo when they are different. I picked up a OEM Denso ac compressor from them, new, not rebuilt, for about one-fifth of what the dealer wanted. most of my other OEM ac parts as well (condensors, dryer, expansion valve, etc)

Napa
Mobil 1 5w50 goes on sale a few times a year at great prices...
Old 01-16-2019, 04:36 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

i use pelican religiously for both my cars. next day free delivery never hurts. competitively priced and they always have everything.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:23 AM
Jim996cab
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
i use pelican religiously for both my cars. next day free delivery never hurts. competitively priced and they always have everything.
May I ask - do you live close to Pelican? One of my first orders was an engine cover strut and oil filter (2 pounds). Shipping was $16.50 and took 6 days (Cincinnati area).
I was shocked. Makes me me think twice about ordering from them. Maybe it’s just me and my location though.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:24 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim996cab

May I ask - do you live close to Pelican? One of my first orders was an engine cover strut and oil filter (2 pounds). Shipping was $16.50 and took 6 days (Cincinnati area).
I was shocked. Makes me me think twice about ordering from them. Maybe it’s just me and my location though.
why i use them, yes. i would outsource parts more liberally, were this not the case.

Quick Reply: Where to buy maintenance items