Sponsored by:

Problems after window regulator install

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 05:31 PM
turbodrummer
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Problems after window regulator install

Just changed my window regulator and all went well, the window moves when the door is opened / closed as it should however, the window switches and sunroof switches do not activate anything, the courtesy lights do not come on when the door is opened and the central locking no longer engages with either the dash button or the key fob. All of these are on different fuses so I think the problem is more global. For safety sake I disconnected the batter while doing the work but did not remove the door airbag. Problems arose after reconnecting the battery. Is there a default maintenance mode that car goes into? I am a bit stumped. Any advice?
Old 01-13-2019, 04:41 PM
iotapi322
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen this before, I believe it was because a fuse was blown. Unfortunately you might have to pull each one and take a look, or you can look up which fuse goes to the sunroof...
Old 01-13-2019, 10:41 PM
turbodrummer
Intermediate

Thanks for that. All fuses checked out okay. I believe it has something to do with initialization of certain components - maybe a trip to a dealer?
Old 01-14-2019, 06:20 AM
iotapi322
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You triggered a memory, I searched in the forum but I couldn't find it, however I think you have to reinitialize the top position of the window. I will keep searching, but I **think** you have to do something where with both windows up you have to hold the up switch for an extended portion of time. I will keep searching but search too for window regulator replacement or microswitch replacement and see if you can find it.
M
Old 01-14-2019, 11:08 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by iotapi322
You triggered a memory, I searched in the forum but I couldn't find it, however I think you have to reinitialize the top position of the window. I will keep searching, but I **think** you have to do something where with both windows up you have to hold the up switch for an extended portion of time. I will keep searching but search too for window regulator replacement or microswitch replacement and see if you can find it.
M
This is re-training the auto up/down feature and it does require opening windows and holding the switch open for 10 seconds and then repeating in the closed position. But I don't think this would effect the other issues the OP has.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:14 PM
turbodrummer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by wross996tt
This is re-training the auto up/down feature and it does require opening windows and holding the switch open for 10 seconds and then repeating in the closed position. But I don't think this would effect the other issues the OP has.
Correct - I am going to take it to an indy shop this week and report back. I tried holding the window buttons and nothing happened. Seems like there is a module communication issue going on. Thanks for all of the input though
Old 01-15-2019, 02:31 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

are you sure you plugged everything in? If I remember there was a thin small 2 wire plug that was easy to over look. I don't remember exactly where it plugged in but I believe it was up high on the panel.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:43 PM
turbodrummer
Intermediate

Yep there are 2 - two wire plugs that insert near the interior handle on the door card. Verified those connected with a small mirror as they are a too short to see with the door card pulled far away. Thanks though!
Old 01-15-2019, 06:24 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

Might be your ignition switch has gone bad. The timing is weird that it would go out just as you replaced the window regulator. However, electrical gremlins are a classic symptom of ignition switch failure. And ignition switch failure is so common, it's almost inevitable. Normally I like to know what's wrong with a car before just throwing parts at it. But, the good news in this case is that you're out under $30 and 30 minutes of your time by swapping out the ignition switch. And if it's not the ignition switch, well, keep the old one in the door pocket for a backup in case it goes out in the future.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:46 PM
turbodrummer
Intermediate

I agree - new ignition was installed about 19 months ago. I suppose its not unheard of for them to go bad that quickly?
Old 01-15-2019, 10:03 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,432 Posts

Chances are the work you did is the cause of your current problems. I would go back and recheck everything, including the condition of the wiring harness that passes form the chassis into the door through the bellows. Look for crimped wires. These cars are a CAN-BUS system. The ECU is looking for signals from all the electronic components and sensors in order to make them function.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:12 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by turbodrummer
I agree - new ignition was installed about 19 months ago. I suppose its not unheard of for them to go bad that quickly?
Well, it makes it less likely. Although, the first time I replaced mine in my '99 996 C4 (exact same part as the 996tt), I bought the NAPA cheapo $12 part. It lasted about 6 months before I had to change it out again. The second time I bought the ~$26 part and didn't have any problems with it. So, not that unusual for the replacement part to fail if the replacement part was the $12 one. If it was the ~$26 part, then it probably isn't the culprit.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:02 PM
turbodrummer
Intermediate

Resolution - had the system checked out and found a few faults with the COM module - as a just for ****s and giggles we changed the fuse out and all ended up working just fine. Even though no visible break in the fuse turned out it was bad.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:58 AM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by turbodrummer
Resolution - had the system checked out and found a few faults with the COM module - as a just for ****s and giggles we changed the fuse out and all ended up working just fine. Even though no visible break in the fuse turned out it was bad.
Thanks for following up and posting the resolution - so many times, people don't do that. And props to iotapi322 for calling it right off of the bat!
Old 01-23-2019, 06:29 PM
turbodrummer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GWIT996F
And props to iotapi322 for calling it right off of the bat!
+1

Quick Reply: Problems after window regulator install