Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   996 Turbo Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turbo-forum-61/)
-   -   Elephant Racing strut hat monoballs (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turbo-forum/1123596-elephant-racing-strut-hat-monoballs.html)

03EvoIII 01-11-2019 10:04 PM

Elephant Racing strut hat monoballs

Hi All,
I just ordered a set for the front and rear strut hats. These basically replace the rubber bushing with solid monoball. Has anyone else ever ran these? How was your experience? Thanks!!
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...02f18a658d.jpg

Oak 01-12-2019 12:04 AM

Not familiar with the elephants, I have been on these GMP EVO camber plates. Unless you are planning on mono balls on the other pick up points I don’t think it would be worth it. Becomes a slippery slope quickly.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...452bfbf04.jpeg

03EvoIII 01-12-2019 12:59 AM

I probably will upgrade to the LCA monoballs in the next round of upgrades. To start I was doing these ER monoballs, adj rear sway and drop links, solid LCA thrust bushings and some toe control arms.

Oak 01-12-2019 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by 03EvoIII (Post 15559984)
I probably will upgrade to the LCA monoballs in the next round of upgrades. To start I was doing these ER monoballs, adj rear sway and drop links, solid LCA thrust bushings and some toe control arms.

it’s imperative to go with proven components don’t get bamboozled by all the bling. A lot of Chinese made components made from sub par materials. It will transform your turbo to a lethal track weapon. Even by modern standards.

03EvoIII 01-12-2019 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by Oak (Post 15560004)

it’s imperative to go with proven components don’t get bamboozled by all the bling. A lot of Chinese made components made from sub par materials. It will transform your turbo to a lethal track weapon. Even by modern standards.

What 'bling' are you referring to regarding my post? Are you saying that Elephant Racing parts are made in China? As far as I know they are quality components made in the USA. Thanks for the help :rolleyes:

Oak 01-12-2019 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by 03EvoIII (Post 15560044)
What 'bling' are you referring to regarding my post? Are you saying that Elephant Racing parts are made in China? As far as I know they are quality components made in the USA. Thanks for the help :rolleyes:

I know nothing about your elephant parts. Just speaking in general terms. No fun when something lets loose. Learn the types of alloys used and matching methods and components development helps.

993GT 01-12-2019 09:50 AM

Elephant is quality

PaleAle 01-12-2019 03:57 PM

Quality? A buddy of mine had Elephant upgrade his 997 suspension and it is terrible. He even failed a track inspection because they installed it wrong. He finally sent it to another shop in Los Gatos and had them correct everything. The tires no longer rub but his car still sounds like it's going to break with everyone bump.

Carlo_Carrera 01-12-2019 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by PaleAle (Post 15561082)
Quality? A buddy of mine had Elephant upgrade his 997 suspension and it is terrible. He even failed a track inspection because they installed it wrong. He finally sent it to another shop in Los Gatos and had them correct everything. The tires no longer rub but his car still sounds like it's going to break with everyone bump.

How is that the fault of the parts manufacturer?

"02996ttx50 01-12-2019 08:38 PM

the bottom line is: monoballs on a primarily street driven car are "overkill". the more 'rubber" you eliminate, the more.... never mind.

Dock 01-12-2019 09:05 PM

Maybe he's in the process of building a race car.

PaleAle 01-13-2019 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera (Post 15561084)
How is that the fault of the parts manufacturer?

Maybe I wasn't clear. He bought the parts from Elephant AND had them install it. I'm literally sitting here, wearing the T-Shirt the owner gave me when we picked up his car. We're not talking about about $300 expense here...

Carlo_Carrera 01-13-2019 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by PaleAle (Post 15562172)
Maybe I wasn't clear. He bought the parts from Elephant AND had them install it. I'm literally sitting here, wearing the T-Shirt the owner gave me when we picked up his car. We're not talking about about $300 expense here...

I get it, but I am pretty sure Elephant farms out their manufacturing to someone else so I am not sure we can judge the hardware quality properly if some dope employee installed it wrong. What do you think? Is the hardware itself f'd up?

PaleAle 01-13-2019 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera (Post 15562432)
I get it, but I am pretty sure Elephant farms out their manufacturing to someone else so I am not sure we can judge the hardware quality properly if some dope employee installed it wrong. What do you think? Is the hardware itself f'd up?

Elephant is boutique shop so I suspect they have experienced designers and Porsche mechanics. You're probably right that they outsource their manufacturing, but this isn't an OQC issue. Once the installation problem was addressed the car still sounds like a bucket of bolts. If that's the design intent it may work on the track, but not on a DD or weekend tour with the Mrs.

"02996ttx50 01-15-2019 01:38 AM

now.. the thread is diverging into the "reason i swapped out my tarrett's that didn't seat properly and i went back to oem's" territory.

monoball's are NOT for STREET use in lieu of oem top mounts lol.