After 14 years...

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 05:58 PM
Tanks95
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
Except when they don't ;-)
Like when a 964 part is still active ... Or a 991/9097 part number supersedes the 996 part, or ???, so don't always count on it.

The other trick to keep in mind if your new to Porsche part numbers is that on parts with a left and right, third set of three numbers ends in ODD for LEFT, and EVEN for RIGHT.

eg: GT2 rear fender liner bracket:
996-504-353-91 (left side)
996-504-354-91 (right side)

And the last two numbers are model differences and revisions...

eg:
996-504-353-91 = (GT2 rear fender liner bracket, left)
996-504-353-00 = (996 Turbo rear fender liner bracket, left. Similar part, but non-GT2)
996-504-353-0A = (this part doesn't really exist, but if there was a newer version of 996-504-353-00 , this last number would roll to a higher number or letter)
good stuff, thanks
Old 01-31-2019, 08:48 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Originally Posted by Tanks95
Hello fellow enthusiasts, my name is William, I like to take long walks…wrong forum.

Seriously, my name is William, I originally joined this forum in 2004 as I was enthusiastically searching for my dream car. So, here I am again many years later, kids all grown up and departed, retired from the military and BACK to pursuing the dream.The dream never died. As a matter of fact, it currently lives in a couple of nice M3s; a twin screwed E36 and my baby an E926MT. But!!! it ‘seems’ the real dream is about to manifest in, what normal people would call, a low mileage 996 Turbo @ 56k miles. Super excited.

So after 14 years of forum membership I am about to post my 9th post!As most here, who have this addiction will understand…..I have already been putting together my “reset” maintenance package items in my Suncoast cart. It includes, all new OEM filters, motor mounts, new drain plugs, plugs, coils, and new floor mats! Once I get her home and up on my lift, I will assess what stays in the cart and what gets ordered.

Round 2, will be a couple hundred mile driving assessment period to see what else may need to be done. This will also allow time for retrieve some good fluid samples to send off to Blackstone for analysis.

Following that will be the addition of the SOUL Performance exhaust and a battery tender. I am sure there will be some form of minor paint correction that will be needed, which will give me an excuse to use some of the products sitting on the shelf. From there it will be drive, smile, maintain, store, repeat.

Once the deal is solidified, I’ll report back with purchase details and pics!

Thank you all for creating a place that contains a literal storehouse of knowledge!

William
Congrats, welcome - always nice to see a fellow OCD-er...
Old 02-05-2019, 04:41 AM
MezgerTT
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the SSK, assuming it’s not a tippy.

Old 02-05-2019, 08:02 AM
Tanks95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MezgerTT
Get the SSK, assuming it’s not a tippy.

almost insulted (jk), no, its a 6 speed.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:59 AM
jdexter
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

welcome aboard! Get ready for upgrades. I recommend following the classifieds here and over on 6speed daily. Tons of good deals to be had. Used exhaust is a nice way to save some $$. I agree with the others about pressure testing, I made my own set from pvc pipes and glue for about $5. You'd be amazed at where your boost is going. The DVs are usually spent if they are old also. OEM "N" ones are as good as anything. I'd add it to the parts to have on hand. Most of us eventually move to semisolid motor mounts. Apparently you can turn your old ones into the same thing with about a $10 diy where you drain the fluid and refill with window sealant, theres a diy around here somewhere. I have RSS ones. Lastly, if you are thinking of going the upgraded turbo route, I'm taking a set of billet k16s off my car in the next month or so. They have about 20k miles on them total, only 3-4k since being upgraded. Goodluck!
Old 02-05-2019, 09:26 AM
Tanks95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jdexter
welcome aboard! Get ready for upgrades. I recommend following the classifieds here and over on 6speed daily. Tons of good deals to be had. Used exhaust is a nice way to save some $$. I agree with the others about pressure testing, I made my own set from pvc pipes and glue for about $5. You'd be amazed at where your boost is going. The DVs are usually spent if they are old also. OEM "N" ones are as good as anything. I'd add it to the parts to have on hand. Most of us eventually move to semisolid motor mounts. Apparently you can turn your old ones into the same thing with about a $10 diy where you drain the fluid and refill with window sealant, theres a diy around here somewhere. I have RSS ones. Lastly, if you are thinking of going the upgraded turbo route, I'm taking a set of billet k16s off my car in the next month or so. They have about 20k miles on them total, only 3-4k since being upgraded. Goodluck!
Good stuff, thanks. Yes, there are already boxes from Soul Performance (new exhaust), and multiple boxes from Suncoast (various vac lines, check valves, plugs, coils, fluids, etc) sitting in the garage and the car hasn't even arrived yet, Like i said, this has been a long time in the making. many hours logged online, researching, shopping, and dreaming. No plans for turbo upgrades or any fancy body stuff, i am a fan of the OEM+ look. My priorities are for it to first be mechanically sound, then "sound" very nice. Then enjoy!
Old 02-05-2019, 09:28 AM
jdexter
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like you've done your research. I also came from a e92 platform, but a 335 not M. My car was cobb tuned with downpipes and intercooler upgraded. Honestly, even with a cobb tune and exhaust on my 996tt, I thought it felt a little slower than my BMW. It drove me to the turbos. I wonder what your impression will be? Enjoy. I can't wait for spring here in Syracuse...
Old 02-05-2019, 09:34 AM
Tanks95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jdexter
Sounds like you've done your research. I also came from a e92 platform, but a 335 not M. My car was cobb tuned with downpipes and intercooler upgraded. Honestly, even with a cobb tune and exhaust on my 996tt, I thought it felt a little slower than my BMW. It drove me to the turbos. I wonder what your impression will be? Enjoy. I can't wait for spring here in Syracuse...
good stuff, ill keep you updated.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:57 PM
MezgerTT
Advanced

almost insulted (jk), no, its a 6 speed.
Never pass judgement on the tippy and cab drivers 😏

Oh, some small things...

If your visor mirror covers are still intact, don’t use them, or be extremely gentle. The plastic pin holder is about to break off at this age.

If it’s not a fixed wing, the hydraulic pump may go too.

The center arm rest cover hinge may break too. Lift gently.

The ignition switch may go too. Have a spare one or just replace.

Old 02-05-2019, 01:05 PM
Tanks95
Rennlist Member

Never pass judgement on the tippy and cab drivers 😏

Oh, some small things...

If your visor mirror covers are still intact, don’t use them, or be extremely gentle. The plastic pin holder is about to break off at this age.

If it’s not a fixed wing, the hydraulic pump may go too.

The center arm rest cover hinge may break too. Lift gently.

The ignition switch may go too. Have a spare one or just replace.
good stuff! thanks
Old 02-05-2019, 02:16 PM
MezgerTT
Advanced

No plans for turbo upgrades or any fancy body stuff, i am a fan of the OEM+ look. My priorities are for it to first be mechanically sound, then "sound" very nice. Then enjoy!
That’s a great simple plan and all you need to enjoy a TT with many happy miles.

I would say though after the Soul pipes are on, live with it for a while, enjoy the sound (vs no sound), then consider a mild stage one flash to give the pipes even more soul. You’ll dream about starting her up every morning.

Old 02-05-2019, 02:24 PM
Tanks95
Rennlist Member

That’s a great simple plan and all you need to enjoy a TT with many happy miles.

I would say though after the Soul pipes are on, live with it for a while, enjoy the sound (vs no sound), then consider a mild stage one flash to give the pipes even more soul. You’ll dream about starting her up every morning.

yes, i was waiting for her to actually arrive before i went into detail. But, yes, there are many implied tasks which i haven't listed....yes, a tune is pretty much a gimme. i don't want to live with the check engine from the missing cats, so yes, that's a definite.

Of course there is some built in flash to bang time, while i drive it (as is) for a few hundred miles to asses any other quirks or needs and then install the exhaust, tune and other general maintenance parts and change ALL fluids to reset to my clock...etc

but the 5m target is my E36 that's on the lift right now for the starter replacement. Im almost done with that.

oh, and i am not a Facebook-er or tweet master, so be forewarned, i want be doing minute by minute updates...too much other real stuff to do. But, i will post up some updates as times passes. Probably way more questions than updates..
Old 02-05-2019, 03:13 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

...it ‘seems’ the real dream is about to manifest in, what normal people would call, a low mileage 996 Turbo @ 56k miles. Super excited.
Did you purchase this car from an individual?
Old 02-05-2019, 03:38 PM
Tanks95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dock
Did you purchase this car from an individual?
basically...it was on consignment at a dealership.

if your asking have i talked to the individual....no. But, in this modern era and with a VIN i have been able to reach out to all of its previous homes and ask the dealerships it was serviced at to send copies of the service records...and 95% of them complied, minus any personal information of the owner. So basically, just the text from the service records.

it was cared for pretty good. BUT, i have worked on cars well over 20 years, and a 15 year old car is a 15 year old car. She will need some TLC.
Old 02-05-2019, 03:57 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

...change ALL fluids to reset to my clock...etc
Will this include the power steering fluid?

Quick Reply: After 14 years...