Please help me spec sizes/offsets for my new wheels - Page 3 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Go Back  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums > Turbo Technical Discussion Areas > 996 Turbo Forum
Reload this Page >

Please help me spec sizes/offsets for my new wheels

Notices

Please help me spec sizes/offsets for my new wheels

Old 01-08-2019, 07:57 PM
hyboost
User

Originally Posted by magnumsilva View Post
Hyboost,

You may be able to help me. I have a 2001 996 Turbo and I just bought a set of 19” BBS e 88’s 9” front and 12” rears I have 235/35/19 tires for the fronts and 305/30/19 on order for the rears which should be arriving later this week. Should this be an easy install or should I expect to have to make any modifications?

I bought this rims rims off a buddy as they are in amazing shape and with a black 996 TT I thought that it would look cool with the gold/silver BBS e 88’s. However, I’ve been reading online and keep seeing talk about if tracking the car then the 18” rims would work better. I plan to do 2 or 3 track days a rear and wondering if I have put myself in a situation where when tracking I will have to go back to the original 18” P rims? I don’t have any suspension MODS currently all stock configuration.

Hoping that I can get some advice here from yourself or anyone else that has been in this situation with a 996 TT fitting BBS e88’s 19’s

Thanks,

Jorge
Jorge
Depends on the offsets of the wheels honestly. I know there is a lot of variability in different setups and options from BBS. When I was ordering mine, I had some decisions to make.
But if your rears are same offset as mine (+42), I can honestly tell you that you will need to roll or shave your fender lips with a 305 tire. Stock height might help, but I still think it will make contact with the flat fender lip under full compression. You will also likely need the GT2 liner brackets, but that's a cheap and easy mod. Gives you the needed little clearance on the inside so the tire doesn't rub the lining.

Front not sure, but again depends on offset. I am running 245 tire and have no clearance issue on a lowered car, so likely you will be fine. Other will tell you that 235 tire is not ideal with AWD (neither is 245 but closer to the needed ratio)...but I don't want to open that can of worms up in this thread.

As far as tracking 19's vs 18's...lots of discussions and opinions on that. Tire choices and wheel weight probably will steer you toward 18's...but its not like 19's will prevent you from having some fun out there a few times a year.
(I do have a dedicated e30m3 race car that I've built out over the years and the 996 has and never will see the track..so I can't speak from personal experience on the porsche)

Feel free to email me directly if you need more info. I'd hate to distract from Steve's original post.

Rob
[email protected]

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: