Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   996 Turbo Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turbo-forum-61/)
-   -   2003 Seal Grey 996 Turbo for sale on the marketplace (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turbo-forum/1121482-2003-seal-grey-996-turbo-for-sale-on-the-marketplace.html)

Finally333 12-30-2018 06:22 PM

2003 Seal Grey 996 Turbo for sale on the marketplace

I’d like to get this group’s thoughts on the 996 for sale in Key Largo.

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1106902

rael 12-30-2018 06:37 PM

Seems a little rich to me, but I'm not as qualified as the KC Lawyer, Dock, Carlo, and Rich Brooklyn. I'm sure they'll all chime in and give you a good idea. I'm not sure if all the mods add much value or not...depends on if you are looking for. Originally, it's a basic $120k build car.

Finally333 12-30-2018 07:48 PM

Thanks Rael. I’m new to the forum, looking forward to hearing from your friends.

Carlo_Carrera 12-30-2018 08:04 PM

That car has most of the common modifications. Seems very well sorted by a knowledgable owner. The price is a tad high but not by much IMHO.

The big question is what do you want from a 996TT? Are you going to daily it? Weekends only? Track? Garage queen and future collectable? Do you want these mods?

Dock 12-30-2018 08:54 PM

I agree in general with Carlo's points, especially his "do you want these mods?" and "The price is a tad high but not by much". I would personally be interested in the looks of the paint chip on the driver's door and the scratches at the rear wiper. I'd also be interested in personally assessing the condition of the front bumper and the stone guard film. If I decided that these needed repair, then I'd attempt to negotiate the price down enough to cover those expenses. I suggest you drive the car to see if you like the way it rides and if you like the sound of the exhaust, although you can always replace the exhaust and/or suspension with the OEM parts that are included.

Finally333 12-30-2018 09:57 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I’m looking for a weekend car. I’ve always loved 911’s since I was a teenager. Perfect tonic for my midlife crisis. I don’t plan on tracking the car. I would probably do some of the mods this owner has already done.

Carlo_Carrera 12-30-2018 10:17 PM

This could be a very good weekend car for you. Having the pipes already welded is a huge plus.

Do what Dock suggests, put your eyes on it, drive it, and try to negotiate a price you are comfortable with. Do not fall in love right away. You are stepping into one of the most visceral driving experiences Porsche has ever made. With its tune this car is going to accelerate like a scalded rat. Be objective. There are a many good weekend driver 966TTs out there. If something feels wrong to you pass on it.

FRUNKenstein 12-30-2018 11:46 PM

Concur with others. I'm thinking high $40ks. Looks like a nice car. Owner seems pretty honest about the flaws. I think buying from an individual is definitely the way to go. It's been on the market for over 2 months, so maybe they will entertain a $48k bid. That would be a fair price. But go higher if it meets your criteria as a couple of thousand dollars more would still be reasonable. Given that these cars are no longer depreciating, you're not going to lose any money on it.

Jacob_Seattle 12-31-2018 12:14 AM

Looks like a good car. I think the value of these cars is mid $50ks. This one has a few issues and you can most likely get it for low 50s. I think we should see 60s by next summer. These turbos are on the rise and they are awesome. I think we should see six figures again in the next few years. The 996tt (along with the gt2&3s) is arguably the last of the real mechanical driver's P-cars. What ever you do, get one and whatever you pay will be a distance memory as the value rises in the next few years. I am just happy to join the club.

ScottKelly911 12-31-2018 04:20 AM

First, let me say this, while our cars probably wont lose money, DO NOT buy as an investment. These are not super rare cars like a GT2. They’re not special edition cars and may (probably will) appreciate but they could also plateau. 930’s were the same price for 20 years before they all of a sudden jumped up.

That all being said, this looks like a fantastic car for a weekend driver. Enough miles that it hadn’t just been shelved enabling the seals and gaskets to wither away. But not driven so much that it’s “worn”. Those are really nice mods and if you don’t like them, you could easily recoup some of the cost by selling them separately. Especially the Motons and exhaust. Though, I doubt youMd end up wanted to remove them as they are both fantastic mods! The car has been for sale for a bt so i agree with Dock that a 48k offer would be fair. These cars were creeping up, then slightly backed off and now seem to have plateaued with the exception of really nice LOW mile examples (think under 20k and bone stock). Driver’s cars seemed to have plateaued for a little while. Especially with the uncertainty of the market lately. It is an ‘03 which has a stiffer chassis and slightly better transmission. This does look like a good car for the right price. But as always get a PPI if possible and go for a test drive if you’re local to the buyer. Good luck! I have to say, once you do pull the trigger and jump into the 996TT game, you’ll love it!!!

Finally333 12-31-2018 10:53 AM

Thanks for all of the feedback, very much appreciated. I've never driven a 996 tt so I won't have a baseline for when a test drive a car to determine if it is up to par. If there are any 996tt owners in the Philadelphia/New Jersey area who would be willing to take me for a ride in their 996, I would be grateful.

ArlingtonTT 12-31-2018 10:58 AM

Looks nice - agree with above don't follow the whole we should expect these cars to be $x's in a year because its nonsense. I have bought and sold two over past 4 years and "asking" prices have increased but sold prices haven't necessarily done the same. There was a peak in interest about a year ago but I think we are back to the same type of demand as ~2-3 years ago.
For reference I sold my seal grey X50 Aero Kit with 60k miles 2 years ago for $47k and people told me it was too cheap - PPI checked out and the car had difficulty selling. So remember a lot of people have opinions but it really depends who is shopping at the time.
I like this example but the ask is too strong IMO. Here is a higher mileage example with less maintenance but gives you an idea of price range out there. I think the ask on this one is more in line with what my valuation is and think there probably is still some room here assuming it checks out. As always I am making comparisons assuming a PPI comes back without much negative to show. I also value the coolant lines being done way more than the cosmetic mods even though I prefer a modded car.
https://longisland.craigslist.org/ct...779635784.html

Carlo_Carrera 12-31-2018 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911 (Post 15531802)
First, let me say this, while our cars probably wont lose money, DO NOT buy as an investment. These are not super rare cars like a GT2. They’re not special edition cars and may (probably will) appreciate but they could also plateau. 930’s were the same price for 20 years before they all of a sudden jumped up....

Your comparison of 930 and base 996TT values is accurate. Porsche built almost exactly the same number of those two models.

Road King 12-31-2018 11:10 AM

As others have said, I don't think the price is *that* high given it appears to be well maintained and well sorted. Let's say a stock 55K mile Turbo is going for high $40s. You want an exhaust, tune, and maybe lowered ride height? That's $5K, plus or minus. Coolant line pinning/welding gets downright religious, but nobody can argue that it's a nice thing to have done to eliminate risk. Having the lines done as a preventive item could cost a few thousand dollars. So if one is into the mods, getting this car for low $50s seems like a very fair deal, esp. if the PPI and cosmetic condition are satisfactory.

The seller is a Yacht Broker, so as a sales professional I am sure he built in some wiggle room to ensure a negotiated win for both parties. His price of $54,900 doesn't state FIRM or OBO, so perhaps he's leaving it ambiguous.

OP, you should call the seller Roland Leal and have a discussion. It appears from the ad that his wife is posting on his behalf. I'd recommend calling him directly and having a discussion about the condition of the car.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a $50K+ 15 year old car without spending some time with it, both in terms in deep inspection and a long drive or two. NY to the Key Largo this time of year could be a nice little getaway....even if the car doesn't check out.

Good luck and let us know how it pans out.

Carlo_Carrera 01-01-2019 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Finally333 (Post 15532116)
Thanks for all of the feedback, very much appreciated. I've never driven a 996 tt so I won't have a baseline for when a test drive a car to determine if it is up to par. If there are any 996tt owners in the Philadelphia/New Jersey area who would be willing to take me for a ride in their 996, I would be grateful.

There are two 996TTs for sale in your area. Unfortunately they are both Tips. Take one for a test drive just to get a feel.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/757382307/overview/?aff=stemp2&CMP=stemp2

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/734791944/overview/?aff=stemp2&CMP=stemp2