Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member, question about a 996tt

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 01:55 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,462 Posts

[tiptronic] cost an extra $3,420 over sticker.... it is funny how this more expensive option actually detracts from the value of the car.
That's nothing compared to the $7,800 original cost for the "Full wood interior package" which is considered by most to be a huge negative... But at least you can de-ugly the wood trim with paint, vinyl wrap, or replacement parts. No economically feasible way to undo a tiptronic.

Old 12-27-2018, 09:08 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacob_Seattle
Hi All,

I appreciate everyone's input, especially regarding the transmission. My take on it is as follows:

1. The 6 speed is great, but with the issues regarding the clutch, actuators and gear pop-outs, the 6 speed is quite an expensive component of these cars. Not to mention, it seems the tippy gives just as quick of acceleration numbers as the 6 speed (I have not personally verified this yet).
2. The "tippy" tax, according to a lot of members here is just about gone. It did cost an extra $3,420 over sticker, it is funny how this more expensive option actually detracts from the value of the car.
3. I am very blessed with 3 garages of cars, I have many other options to scratch the itch of rowing through the gears. This will be my first Porsche, I am very excited.
4. I know to some members, having your wife drive your car is a mortal no-no. I actually need my wife to be able to drive some of my cars. This way I can get her to sign off on adding some more. So the girly comment above, was awesome. I will wear this one with a badge of honor. Autos are comfortable and don't really cost you speed. I have so many cars with heavy racing clutches that sometimes it is really great just to drive.

I am still working on the deal. Let's see how it shakes out. More to come.
the issues and maintenance to the g50 MT on these cars in minimal and a lot more "reliable" than the tip and less expensive to mess with once required. accumulators are NBD and the 2nd gear popout issues was resolved by MY03 ( be wary of '01/02 ONLY ) that said,.. get the tip, if thats what ya want and sounds like ( your wife ) does

the wood interior package thought it was destined for a jaguar, but hey. again, if ya like it? all that matters. GL!
Old 12-27-2018, 10:00 PM
Jacob_Seattle
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
That's nothing compared to the $7,800 original cost for the "Full wood interior package" which is considered by most to be a huge negative... But at least you can de-ugly the wood trim with paint, vinyl wrap, or replacement parts. No economically feasible way to undo a tiptronic.

Well said here! Wow, I had no idea. Each to his own, but wow! I could not do the wood trim in this car. Wayyyyyyy to Jaggy for my taste.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:08 PM
Jacob_Seattle
Instructor

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
the issues and maintenance to the g50 MT on these cars in minimal and a lot more "reliable" than the tip and less expensive to mess with once required. accumulators are NBD and the 2nd gear popout issues was resolved by MY03 ( be wary of '01/02 ONLY ) that said,.. get the tip, if thats what ya want and sounds like ( your wife ) does

the wood interior package thought it was destined for a jaguar, but hey. again, if ya like it? all that matters. GL!
It is clear I have a lot more research to do. So much to learn about Porsches. I am super happy to hear from all of you. Thanks for all the input and information. Really awesome.

I am still working on putting the deal together. They had 1200 more miles on the car than as advertised. Thanks for those that chimed in regarding Park Place. I also consigned a car there a few years ago (99 NSX). It was spendy, did not sell and thus I had to take it back and within a week found a great new home in Canada. I am trying to overlook their reputation as not being entirely honest. I am trying to give them a genuine shot. They have been around a long time and their management team does know how to choose great cars. Their inventory is always impressive. They do always seek very top of the market on every car and not be too willing to deal. I will keep you all updated on how this transaction transpires.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:14 PM
Jacob_Seattle
Instructor

Originally Posted by T10Chris
I thought that car was kinda rough when I saw it up there; maybe it was just really dirty.. They've had it for a few months. Either way, $60k is too much IMO.

I've also heard more bad stories than good when buying from there,. If that car ticks every box and is everything you ever wanted in a 996TT all of that is irrelevant since it is obviously the car for you, but if anything is giving you pause or you feel like you are sacrificing something you want then I'd keep searching.

If you want to get into modding it, hit up Sam at By Design- he is on top of his game when it comes to these cars.
Park Place has had this car since May. They are always looking for the top of the market with every car they have. It is understandable. They are in Bellevue, you local guys know what I mean. It seems the car was driven by the dealership to the tune of 1200 miles. They did not update the ads or take new pictures. A lot happens in 1200 miles. When you went to see it, I am sure it was being driven and thus, yes was probably dirty. Still working on it.......
Old 12-28-2018, 12:27 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,462 Posts

It is clear I have a lot more research to do. So much to learn about Porsches. I am super happy to hear from all of you. Thanks for all the input and information. Really awesome.
Do your homework, learn what you want and what to look for, and most importantly, be ready to POUNCE when the right car comes along... The good ones go very quickly.
Old 12-28-2018, 01:37 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 116 Posts

Park Place has had this car since May. They are always looking for the top of the market with every car they have. It is understandable. They are in Bellevue, you local guys know what I mean. It seems the car was driven by the dealership to the tune of 1200 miles. They did not update the ads or take new pictures. A lot happens in 1200 miles. When you went to see it, I am sure it was being driven and thus, yes was probably dirty. Still working on it.......
To be fair, I'd rather a car be driven occasionally than have it sit for 7-9 months on a lot, although 1200 miles without updating the ad to reflect it is interesting.
Old 12-28-2018, 02:03 PM
rael
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 60 Posts

I think 60K is rich. My car is for sale at $55k, and I'd come off that. My car, while not being super desirable in color combo, is a clean an example as you will find for a tip. It's sub 20K miles and needing no service whatsoever, although it's in the shop having the coolant lines pinned proactively. The motor has never been out of the car until this week. It is 100% bone stock, with very fresh Michelins.

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1115370

Old 12-28-2018, 07:50 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

^^^ that car wont last long for 55k. GL with sale. though i doubt you'll need any!
Old 12-28-2018, 11:57 PM
Jacob_Seattle
Instructor

Originally Posted by rael
I think 60K is rich. My car is for sale at $55k, and I'd come off that. My car, while not being super desirable in color combo, is a clean an example as you will find for a tip. It's sub 20K miles and needing no service whatsoever, although it's in the shop having the coolant lines pinned proactively. The motor has never been out of the car until this week. It is 100% bone stock, with very fresh Michelins.

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1115370
Rael,

Thanks for posting. Great car, I am just a bit particular with color. I am dead set on Blue. Your care will sell no problem. What are you going to get next. All the best, Jacob
Old 12-29-2018, 12:01 AM
Jacob_Seattle
Instructor

Originally Posted by T10Chris
To be fair, I'd rather a car be driven occasionally than have it sit for 7-9 months on a lot, although 1200 miles without updating the ad to reflect it is interesting.
Well said Chris. The car is still really cherry.
Old 12-29-2018, 11:46 AM
rael
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 60 Posts

Rael,

Thanks for posting. Great car, I am just a bit particular with color. I am dead set on Blue. Your care will sell no problem. What are you going to get next. All the best, Jacob
I purchased a cherry GT3 from a guy just down the road about 3 miles. I found the car on Rennlist and had a PPI and the deal was done in less than 24 hours from his posting. The seller and I still remain in contact. He's got a sweet Lamborghini Gallardo. https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...oing-this.html
Old 12-29-2018, 12:32 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 237 Likes on 171 Posts

It looks like someone purchased this car, as PP shows it as sales pending.
Old 12-29-2018, 07:56 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by mffarrell
It looks like someone purchased this car, as PP shows it as sales pending.
Based on post #34, it is probably Jacob (OP).
Old 12-29-2018, 09:38 PM
Jacob_Seattle
Instructor

Yep, you guys nailed it. I just made the purchase. Depending on how you see it, I paid $55 or $56k for her. I had them swap the wheels out for the OEM turbo twists from another car they had on the lot. I am very happy with this. Now the car will be going to Cantrell Motorsports for maintenance. I am just not sure how to contact them as their inquire form through their website does not work and none of their emails are listed. It looks like I have to go back in time and call them on the phone.....

Quick Reply: New member, question about a 996tt