New member, question about a 996tt

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 06:52 AM
Jacob_Seattle
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New member, question about a 996tt

Hi All,

Does anyone have any information on this 996tt? It is at Parkplace near Seattle. I prefer a 6 speed, but this will be my first Porsche and I love this color combo. I have done tons of research on this forum. Any thoughts and info for a noob will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance:

http://www.parkplaceltd.com/used-car...AB29983S686339

http://park-place-ltd.hammerwebsites...rce=craigslist
Old 12-24-2018, 10:45 AM
Jacob_Seattle
Instructor

It looks to have been a Florida car and sold a few years ago. Here is the listing:

https://www.motorgroup.com/vehicle-d...a839efdae143a#

Old 12-24-2018, 11:50 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

How much are they asking for the car?
Old 12-24-2018, 11:52 AM
Third-Reef
Three Wheelin'

Received 160 Likes on 114 Posts

If you are buying your first Porsche for the "Porsche Experience" hold out for the 6 speed. Rowing the gears on a twisty road is where it's at. Daily driver in traffic is where the tip shines. That front end looks a little??
Old 12-24-2018, 11:54 AM
Jacob_Seattle
Instructor

$60k after some negotiation. No paper work. It looks like the bumpers were damaged and replaced with the Techart replacements.
Old 12-24-2018, 12:00 PM
techweenie
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

The color combo is definitely a premium, but I gotta say, it sounds like it's a good $8K overpriced even after your negotiations. If the tail is an OE GT2 tail, that would mean the car is only about $4K overpriced.
Old 12-24-2018, 12:10 PM
Jacob_Seattle
Instructor

Good to know, I will work on the negotiations. I do love the color combo. I have a Maserati Gran Turismo with the same color combo. Looks well taken care of and it has been south. Normally, cars in the tropics don't have the seals dry out. This is a huge plus for low mileage cars.
Old 12-24-2018, 12:12 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,431 Posts

Doe anyone know why some cars, like this one, with tan/brown interiors have grey headliners?
Old 12-24-2018, 12:21 PM
Jacob_Seattle
Instructor

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Doe anyone know why some cars, like this one, with tan/brown interiors have grey headliners?
Great questions, but this is a black Alcantara. It fits really well as the interior is more of a two tone with the black. The only way to improve this is to have the carpeting all black as well. The brown gets dirty too easy and requires a lot of work. Looks exactly like the headliner in my 02 BMW e39 M5. Very classy.
Old 12-24-2018, 12:34 PM
T Kono
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 87 Posts

Check out the speedo, its a Gemballa car.......
Old 12-24-2018, 02:53 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

Beautiful color combo, but . .
-tippy is a big negative,
-hate the Techart front Batman bumper,
-Gemballa on a tippy is not a big value add, IMHO
-$50k would be top of the market for me. Someone who likes the mods and is looking for a tippy might feel differently, though
-according to their website, it's heading to auction in Snottsdale next week anyway, where someone will probably throw wads of cash at it

Old 12-24-2018, 02:58 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 237 Likes on 171 Posts

My guesstimate would be $45K-49K. Don’t settle if you want a manual transmission.
Old 12-24-2018, 04:58 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacob_Seattle
$60k after some negotiation.
Well if the color combination means enough to you then the car may be worth that kind of money.

As for the Tip, if rowing gears doesn't mean much to you then the automatic shouldn't be a big deal. I wouldn't toss out this car just because others find more personal satisfaction in rowing gears. And if you decide you don't like the front bumper, you can certainly change it out.
Old 12-24-2018, 05:50 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Gemballa engine mods? that could add to the worth - I like midnight blue - I like the techart bumper and the spoiler... It's low miles - the tiptronic is fine unless you feel the need to row
Old 12-24-2018, 11:21 PM
michalik.piotr
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm in Seattle and know two awesome people personally who have bought cars from Park Place and both say the experience was pretty bad and will not buy cars from them again. The cars they sell and the cars my friends buy are not "dailies", there are 2nd or 3rd cars and wknd toys at best. (Sure, they could be, no argument there but... they are and/or most likely won't be, lets be honest). Thats too bad for them as my friends have no problem going through a cpl 100k cars a year. I have never bought a car from them however so take it for what its worth. I never will though b/c of their experiences and mainly because their cars are SUPER OVER PRICED!!!! Look at their inventory. They cater to clueless millennial software tech cubical monkeys of Seattle. How far are they from the MS campus? Prolly a 20min drive to SLU too.

Lets examine this..... this car is a bit of a mess. Lots of questionable aftermarket stuff on it. History? And, even though you and lots of other people here like the color combo its actually not that uncommon or sought after. And, no matter what anyone says.... its an AUTOMATIC. An old, outdated, automatic. Not some fancy PDK, doublesuperduperfasterthenastickdoubleclutch. Just automatic. Girls and millennials drive them.

As someone already said, 42 to 45 if you really like it.

Have you tried looking anywhere else? Seriously. Check Autotrader, forums and CL in other cities. You will have to fly and/or pay for PPIs but the selection is (suprisingly) huge and prices still hover in the mid 40s, people are open to negotiations too. Be patient. Be stubborn. Don't buy into the hype that an outdated (not a classic yet), old (even if low milage) car, especially an AT is worth 60 or even 50k when there are dozen's of better ones out there for mid to low 40s.

Your voice of reason. You're welcome.

ps, don't look at bring a trailer.

Quick Reply: New member, question about a 996tt