Car won't start after gas fillup

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 01:47 PM
RobsTT
AutoX

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Car won't start after gas fillup

Hi Everyone
This is my first post for my 2003 Turbo, 6 speed. Had the car about 6 months, got it from the local Porsche dealer with 35k miles, excellent condition.
The last two times I filled up with gas, the car would not start. The first time it happened there was also a check engine light (code P0446) just prior to the fill up. I had AAA come out and the tech tried locking and unlocking the car twice, and it started. Took it to a local mechanic and they diagnosed the problem as a stuck purge valve for the evaporative emissions setup. Car ran good and started okay until today, when I filled it up again and experienced the same problem, no start. Waited about 15 minutes and finally got it started after 3 cranks. Battery is strong.
Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Old 12-16-2018, 02:07 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 305 Likes on 211 Posts

Welcome..
I'd check your in tank fuel pump for the "split hose" failure. You will hear the fuel pump, but the hose is split, thus not allowing fuel to get to the fuel rails/injectors.
Old 12-16-2018, 02:57 PM
RobsTT
AutoX

Originally Posted by Kevin
Welcome..
I'd check your in tank fuel pump for the "split hose" failure. You will hear the fuel pump, but the hose is split, thus not allowing fuel to get to the fuel rails/injectors.
Thanks for the reply Kevin. If this hose is split would the car be able to run? Only had this problem of not starting twice now, when I filled up with gas.
Rob
Old 12-16-2018, 03:47 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 305 Likes on 211 Posts

It will run then stall.. Re-start and then die.. It gets progressively worse.
Search Rennlist for previous threads and failures
Old 12-16-2018, 05:04 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

This happens with the first gen Cayennes routinely - it has happened to both of mine, exact same symptoms. And it is a bad purge valve. What happens is that the purge valve allows the gas vapors when filling the tank to flood the car. It will start OK after you wait about 5 minutes or so. A way to work around the problem is to not fill up more than half a tank at a time. So, I suppose you could test the theory by limiting yourself to getting only about 5 gallons of gas at a time - if your car starts, then that would further indicate a bad purge valve. Also, if you get a full tank of gas, then let the car sit for about 10 minutes and if it starts fine, another confirmation.

Here's a link to a thread in the regular (non-turbo) 996 forum that is on point:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...stem-woes.html

I'll bet the system is the same or very similar to the 996tt fuel system.

Last edited by FRUNKenstein; 12-16-2018 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12-16-2018, 06:39 PM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

any trouble filling the car with gas? this was my main symptom. I replaced. the reed valve is tricky when you put it back together.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:04 PM
RobsTT
AutoX

Originally Posted by GWIT996F
This happens with the first gen Cayennes routinely - it has happened to both of mine, exact same symptoms. And it is a bad purge valve. What happens is that the purge valve allows the gas vapors when filling the tank to flood the car. It will start OK after you wait about 5 minutes or so. A way to work around the problem is to not fill up more than half a tank at a time. So, I suppose you could test the theory by limiting yourself to getting only about 5 gallons of gas at a time - if your car starts, then that would further indicate a bad purge valve. Also, if you get a full tank of gas, then let the car sit for about 10 minutes and if it starts fine, another confirmation.

Here's a link to a thread in the regular (non-turbo) 996 forum that is on point:

I think my local mechanic was on to this problem when it first happened, and he diagnosed the problem to be the purge valve which they replaced. Apparently it didn't solve the problem since it happened again. Not sure if there is more than one valve or component that may be causing the problem, so I'll get the car back to them for further work.
I want to thank all of the people on this forum who have responded, there is truly a wealth of knowledge here, I am very impressed!
Rob
Old 12-17-2018, 09:58 AM
RobsTT
AutoX

Originally Posted by GWIT996F

Lot's of helpful information here on Rennlist, I am impressed! Thanks everyone for helping me solve this problem.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:09 PM
Pmorritt
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

is the problem solved. if not i’d suspect the the TPS ( throttle position sensor) is going bad. same scenario on wifes Benz and a my indy mechanic diagnosed it immediately.

Quick Reply: Car won't start after gas fillup