Sponsored by:

Is this a decent deal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 05:05 PM
NYSLC93
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is this a decent deal?

Been watching these cars for a while now and watching prices creeeeeppppppp up on BaT. I've been looking for a daily driver and I'm finally close to pulling the trigger on an '02 6MT 75k miles for a bit $40k. Seems fairly well-sorted: 2-owner car, brand new tires, water pump, but not sure if any of the other major items (clutch, coolant pipes) have been addressed. Needs a CV boot, and o-ring seal on one of the turbos and the rear spoiler hydraulics are shot. PPI by a Porsche dealer being performed tomorrow. The car was already inspected by an independent shop for someone else, and I spoke with the inspector whom divulged the few issues above, and said it drove well (said they got on it fairly hard), and there were no perceived clutch issues other issues, leaks, etc.

All in all, I'm not looking for a garage queen, just something that I can put on a few thousand miles per year, and not worry about losing value. Looking to be under $40k, and still have room to enjoy for a few years and be able to sell without losing value.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:22 PM
jblaw
Banned

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts

I would say $40k is right on based on recent BAT sales.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:25 PM
NYSLC93
AutoX

Originally Posted by jblaw
I would say $40k is right on based on recent BAT sales.
It's hard to find one without a story for under $40k these days.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:59 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by NYSLC93
...an '02 6MT 75k miles for a bit $40k. Seems fairly well-sorted: 2-owner car, brand new tires, water pump, but not sure if any of the other major items (clutch, coolant pipes) have been addressed. Needs a CV boot, and o-ring seal on one of the turbos and the rear spoiler hydraulics are shot. PPI by a Porsche dealer being performed tomorrow. The car was already inspected by an independent shop for someone else, and I spoke with the inspector whom divulged the few issues above, and said it drove well (said they got on it fairly hard), and there were no perceived clutch issues other issues, leaks, etc.
How does the interior look? How's the paint?

Do you know if it has been tracked? Is it tuned? Does it have stock suspension and/or exhaust?
Old 12-13-2018, 06:45 PM
NYSLC93
AutoX

Originally Posted by Dock
How does the interior look? How's the paint?

Do you know if it has been tracked? Is it tuned? Does it have stock suspension and/or exhaust?
I have no reason to believe that it has been tracked. The car looks good, inside and out, I would say better than average for the year / mileage. Stock exhaust and suspension, and no tune, to my knowledge. I'm only going by what the dealer, and inspector have told me.

I'll have more info tomorrow from the PPI; so I'll report back then with further details. I wish I could find a way to track down the prior owner....thoughts?
Old 12-13-2018, 06:49 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I wish I could find a way to track down the prior owner....thoughts?
Have you asked the dealer or whoever it is selling the car?
Old 12-13-2018, 06:50 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

...no tune, to my knowledge.
Have you driven the car?
Old 12-13-2018, 07:48 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

It's hard to find one without a story for under $40k these days.
+1

Seems to be true even for Tips and Cabs, unless they have high miles. A sorted coupe 6spd for that price sounds like a nice find. Eurotrip's recent BaT auction was a bit unfortunate.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:58 PM
NYSLC93
AutoX

Originally Posted by Dock
Have you asked the dealer or whoever it is selling the car?
I've asked the dealer, but they don't have much history on the car, as they picked it up at auction - it was a trade in at a Mercedes dealer.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:02 PM
NYSLC93
AutoX

Originally Posted by manimal
+1

Seems to be true even for Tips and Cabs, unless they have high miles. A sorted coupe 6spd for that price sounds like a nice find. Eurotrip's recent BaT auction was a bit unfortunate.
Which car was that?
Old 12-13-2018, 09:06 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

A Porsche dealership is probably the worst place to have the car inspected as they use a very rote checklist. a good indie would be a much better and even more comprehensive ppi.. hopefully the first inspection provided enough info for you to make a decision. you'll be disappointed with a PPI from a dealer. its basically a CPO "list" and would miss a LOT of issues if they were "hidden".

40k sounds good as the items it needs are minimal and by no means deal breakers. i've had two of these and my current one was purchased with similar mileage. i've MORE than doubled it since with zero major issues.. GL.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:31 PM
NYSLC93
AutoX

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
A Porsche dealership is probably the worst place to have the car inspected as they use a very rote checklist. a good indie would be a much better and even more comprehensive ppi.. hopefully the first inspection provided enough info for you to make a decision. you'll be disappointed with a PPI from a dealer. its basically a CPO "list" and would miss a LOT of issues if they were "hidden".

40k sounds good as the items it needs are minimal and by no means deal breakers. i've had two of these and my current one was purchased with similar mileage. i've MORE than doubled it since with zero major issues.. GL.
I hear ya, dealer PPI's are hit or miss, but a second opinion is worth the peace of mind, as I didn't pay for the first inspection. Being that the car is remote, it's worth the cost.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:02 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I hear ya, dealer PPI's are hit or miss, but a second opinion is worth the peace of mind, as I didn't pay for the first inspection. Being that the car is remote, it's worth the cost.
would've been better if the ones inspecting were "reversed" in order! GL with it. sounds like a "good buy", minus the small issues.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:49 PM
my04996tt
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

+1 with most Porsche service shops not being very good at conducting a PPI, especially with a 16 yr old car. They are better on more current models
Old 12-13-2018, 11:39 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,461 Posts

$40K is about the minimum one can expect to find a semi-decent 996 turbo 6-speed coupe for (under 75K miles, no salvage, no big carfax issues, no known leaks, doesn't have any immediate big ticket repairs needed, etc)...

But even with the most thorough PPI, plan on finding a few things that will need addressing to get it fully sorted.

My #1 criteria is cosmetic condition, inside and out. If it looks beat, scraped, worn, that's just not easy to fix.. After that, well sorted mechanically with *recent* work.

Quick Reply: Is this a decent deal?