Sponsored by:

Troubleshooting Clutch Hydraulic System

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 01:49 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 237 Likes on 171 Posts
Default Troubleshooting Clutch Hydraulic System

I checked my clutch reservoir and it was almost empty. Up to then, clutch pedal felt normal. I filled it to the max. line, and pumped it 125 times, then looked for a leak which I could not find. So where did the fluid go? Is it possible that fluid went back into the PS reservoir? I have heard of the PS fluid going the other direction and overfilling the clutch reservoir, but not draining the clutch reservoir

One thing that I must mention is that I changed my PS reservoir last year, but did not check the clutch reservoir after completing the job, as I assumed the slave cylinder was isolated from the clutch master cylinder and reservoir.

Thoughts?
Old 11-23-2018, 11:18 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

if the reservoir in the front was empty you need to bleed at the slave to get the air out. if you filled it and fluid went down, it could be anywhere (in the ps reservoir, in the accumulator (most likely) or dripping down the reservoir in the front, or down side of transmission. the reservoir in the front doesn't hold much so it probably went to your accumulator. Sounds like time to get a new slave...have fun doing the bear hug sunset has 20%off for black friday
Old 11-23-2018, 11:59 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Do you think it’s possible I lost fluid in the clutch reservoir when I changed the PS reservoir? I have a slave and accumulator loaded in the cart since yesterday, just in case. Luckily I have a two post lift in my shop just in case I need to replace the slave and accumulator.
Old 11-24-2018, 12:17 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

check the fluid in the ps reservoir, but most likely you need a slave. if you don't need one now most likely you will in the next couple years anyway. you could try bleeding the slave and see if that works. I assume their is no pentosin on the floor or under the reservoir?
Old 11-24-2018, 12:27 AM
mffarrell
Drifting

No, the clutch master cylinder is dry both inside the car and in the frunck...no signs of leaks. The clutch pedal is fine, no need to bleed.
Old 11-24-2018, 10:49 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

Just monitor it and the power steering fluid for awhile before you start throwing money at it.
Old 11-24-2018, 04:14 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I'd bet you didn't have the proper level when you swapped the ps res is all. Top it off keep an eye on it and don't worry about it. Based on all you've said.
Old 11-24-2018, 06:51 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
I'd bet you didn't have the proper level when you swapped the ps res is all. Top it off keep an eye on it and don't worry about it. Based on all you've said.
Do you think that most of the fluid in the clutch reservoir was lost during the ps reservoir replacement because I thought the two systems are isolated by a check valve in the slave? I know the clutch reservoir was full before I changed the ps reservoir, but I didn't see the need to check after the ps reservoir install. A year later is when I discovered most of the fluid was gone.

Sunset has a 20% off sale this weekend and I am almost tempted to purchase a new slave and accumulator just in case, or if/when it fails.
Old 11-24-2018, 07:03 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by mffarrell
Do you think that most of the fluid in the clutch reservoir was lost during the ps reservoir replacement because I thought the two systems are isolated by a check valve in the slave? I know the clutch reservoir was full before I changed the ps reservoir, but I didn't see the need to check after the ps reservoir install. A year later is when I discovered most of the fluid was gone.

Sunset has a 20% off sale this weekend and I am almost tempted to purchase a new slave and accumulator just in case, or if/when it fails.
i wouldn't think so? i replaced my ps res also but its been so long ago i cant recall any details. once in a rare while i need to add some ch11s. but if theres no migration to the slave reservoir under the bonnet AND its dry? again, i'd just keep an eye on it. GL w it, i'm sure its fine.
Old 11-24-2018, 07:33 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
i wouldn't think so? i replaced my ps res also but its been so long ago i cant recall any details. once in a rare while i need to add some ch11s. but if theres no migration to the slave reservoir under the bonnet AND its dry? again, i'd just keep an eye on it. GL w it, i'm sure its fine.
Thanks!
Old 11-25-2018, 01:53 PM
moeck
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Had a similar problem and after replacing slave & accumulator turned out to be a pressure leak at the compression fitting of the flex line at the slave. Dealer didn't find, shop didn't find as left no trace.
Old 11-25-2018, 02:17 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Originally Posted by moeck
Had a similar problem and after replacing slave & accumulator turned out to be a pressure leak at the compression fitting of the flex line at the slave. Dealer didn't find, shop didn't find as left no trace.
Did you end up replacing the flex line?
Old 11-27-2018, 12:07 PM
moeck
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep, problem solved!

Quick Reply: Troubleshooting Clutch Hydraulic System