Sponsored by:

Who’s apart of PCA?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 10:38 PM
Rvca3112
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Who’s apart of PCA?

Just curious as to how many guys here are PCA members? Why are you a member? Why aren’t you a member? What kind of things would you like out of your local club?

My local club is kinda........ old. Not many exciting things to do. Just trying to see what other people around the country do that they enjoy.

thanks
Old 11-12-2018, 11:12 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,432 Posts

Been a member for quite a while now. Only events I care about are track days and racing. My region, NNJR, does many many track events annually. I also do track events with other regions around the country. The track crowd is much younger than the membership in general. No complaints, don't need anything more.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:19 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 237 Likes on 171 Posts

I was a member for 20 years in the Diablo region (Bay Area). I didn’t find that much value other than the monthly Porsche magazines I received.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:41 PM
trendy996
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been a member since I bought my first one. I do join events time to time when time allows for it. I don't mind age difference that much bc I enjoy talking to guys that have done well for themselves. I use it for networking, events, being around people that share the same passion no matter the age difference. I also receive nice discounts on parts when needed. I would have to save I've benefited from it well.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:42 PM
homelessdave
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Track/autox. I don't care about classes or winning so I kinda fell in with the smaller club crowd. Magazine is nice. Haven't done a social event yet and probably won't as I'm not that social and I'm not burning precious minutes to do car stuff on things that don't involve being behind the wheel.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:31 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

I'm not a member. I don't track my Turbo, and have other social events/interactions/hobbies with friends and family that take up my time.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:36 AM
Third-Reef
Three Wheelin'

Received 160 Likes on 114 Posts

I am a PCA member. i get a PCA sticker. Actually i think i only keep renewing for a chance at the twice a year car raffle. it about a 1 in 5K chance for a new Porsche with an added 25 K cash thrown in for taxes or mods and it costs $50. The magazine is nice also. The track days are expensive and they are fussy about tech inspection.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:48 AM
Stephencs601
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

In Metro NY region, but too much BS between groups. I stay away and do my own thing.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:08 AM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 233 Posts

Joined for track days and the magazine. Interested in some of the other events but normally other things always seem to come up.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:25 AM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 402 Likes on 254 Posts

I've been a member for 34 years. I participate in some of the activities, especially autocross. Typically 25-35 members show up for breakfast every Saturday morning which is pretty cool.

Fairly wide age range and an active club here. Members ages run from the early 20's to the mid 70's. The discount on parts and labor from the dealer for members doesn't hurt.

The one feature I wish PCA had that the BMW club has is a check for members that buy new or CPO. The check ranges from $500 to $1500 depending on the purchase. I've received close to $4000 over the years.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:21 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 324 Posts

I've been a member for over ten years. I like it, track events, auto-x, dealer discounts. I'm also the tech inspection chair for track events.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:30 AM
Taifighter
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

My father-in-law really wants me to join up, or at least come to a meeting with him.
He drives an '86 Carrera SSE, but appreciates the 996 Turbo for what it is, and was excited when he got to see one parked in my garage. He doesn't have an ounce of air-cooled snobbery in him, but knows that certain people HATE the 996.
It makes me wonder if the Turbo model will be/is excluded from the hate, or if the PCA is full of purists and dentists who would dismiss it when it rolled into the parking lot. I think the members of my local PCA chapter are into P cars for different reasons than I am, and I don't see me having enough of a positive experience to work them into my schedule.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:31 AM
techweenie
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

I co-founded a region in '71, stuck around for 18 years or so, quit and rejoined 2 years ago to do the occasional event.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:48 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by Taifighter
My father-in-law really wants me to join up, or at least come to a meeting with him.
He drives an '86 Carrera SSE, but appreciates the 996 Turbo for what it is, and was excited when he got to see one parked in my garage. He doesn't have an ounce of air-cooled snobbery in him, but knows that certain people HATE the 996.
It makes me wonder if the Turbo model will be/is excluded from the hate, or if the PCA is full of purists and dentists who would dismiss it when it rolled into the parking lot. I think the members of my local PCA chapter are into P cars for different reasons than I am, and I don't see me having enough of a positive experience to work them into my schedule.
The other members could care less what model you drive. I'm sure you'll enjoy the company and have a good time, just leave your pre-conceptions at the door and walk in with an open mind.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:03 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,432 Posts

Originally Posted by Taifighter
Originally Posted by docwyte
The other members could care less what model you drive. I'm sure you'll enjoy the company and have a good time, just leave your pre-conceptions at the door and walk in with an open mind.
Agreed, there are many 996 owners in my region. I have never heard anyone say anything bad about them. Members compliment my 996TT all the time.

Quick Reply: Who’s apart of PCA?