Sponsored by:

Who’s apart of PCA?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 08:09 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
I wonder if any of these guys post here? Maybe they'll get the message.
the PCA pac northwest DE chairperson is a member here, although I doubt comes in this forum
Old 11-19-2018, 08:52 PM
turbodrummer
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
I'm not a member. I don't track my Turbo, and have other social events/interactions/hobbies with friends and family that take up my time.
^^ This
Old 11-20-2018, 11:50 AM
Scott.
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by T10Chris
That's ridiculous.. guess what... there's a lot more than just you and I who have been treated this way. BTW, is your car at Cantrell?
Yep, that's me!

Old 11-20-2018, 10:26 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

Any of you PCA'ers read/watch the 996 turbo spotlight feature this month?

https://www.pca.org/news/quebec-city
Old 11-21-2018, 06:34 PM
KC-CarGuy
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 70 Posts

I'm a 9 year member. I joined to learn more about the Boxster I had at the time. The local Kansas City Region is VERY active, and has a good group of very friendly guys.
Old 11-22-2018, 01:06 PM
HBdirtbag
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by mffarrell
I was a member for 20 years in the Diablo region (Bay Area). I didn’t find that much value other than the monthly Porsche magazines I received.
Yea. I'm a member in Diablo as well. Not a lot of activity unless I'm missing something
Old 11-26-2018, 02:03 PM
kentburlingame
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, I had no idea how many folks here are Seattle/PNW based.

I'll second what SOS said for the instructor meeting with Ross Bentley (was there myself), and that's honestly just how that person is from what I've heard -- it's also pretty ironic as I've heard his wife is one of the slower folks on track but runs with the "big-dogs" as she has a very fast car.

I started out with Audi Club and have continued tracking with them since there isn't that air of snobbery to be found (our CDI and senior instructor group have low tolerance for that kind of crap) and folks like that are summarily asked to not return. Was considering running with PNWR just to get to know that community a bit better - I've instructed at Driver Skills days with them and they seem to be a nice enough bunch, but it's a different crowd than HPDE folks - but from the horror stories you've shared, I'm a little concerned.

That said, I recently joined PCA as the BC Chapter requires membership to partake in their events, and they will occasionally do tracks up there that our local clubs seem to have a hard time arranging. That and the monthly edition of Panorama is pretty neat.
Old 12-01-2018, 02:56 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

I love PCA. Only been a member for 3 years but here in CT they do a lot of cool stuff, in the summer almost every weekend there's a half-day drive on nice country roads, every month there's an evening at a dealer or resto/indy shop to talk about car topics like paint, bodywork, etc. or upcoming models and such things.They do a mini-concours, an end of the year party and other stuff. A couple of years ago I went to a go-kart day, I think they still do it in the spring to kick off the season. They even have a quaint black-and-white mini monthly magazine which I quite like. People have all sorts of cars. 356 speedsters, longhood 911s, ratty g-bodies, 944s, first gen boxsters, late model GT cars. One curious thing is pretty much everybody is 87 years old, give or take a couple of years. I'm in my 40s and when I walk in the room the average age drops like Bitcoin the other day.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:25 AM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
They even have a quaint black-and-white mini monthly magazine which I quite like. People have all sorts of cars. 356 speedsters, longhood 911s, ratty g-bodies, 944s, first gen boxsters, late model GT cars. One curious thing is pretty much everybody is 87 years old, give or take a couple of years. I'm in my 40s and when I walk in the room the average age drops like Bitcoin the other day.
Ooh, the good ol' black-n-white monthly analog newsletter. That's a dead giveaway for an old school club. Nothing wrong with that, but KC-CarGuy is our KCRPCA region president as well as our newsletter guru, and here's what he publishes bi-monthly: http://online.flipbuilder.com/hdka/mdnw/
And, it's cheaper than mailing out black-n-white hard copies. He may chime in here as well, but it is probably easier to put together and get distributed also (via email notice with a link). Just sayin'.

If the average age is a bit high in your region, you might want to reach out to the younger crowd. Not just those young whippersnappers in the 50-something crowd, but to the high school and college and twenty-something crowd as well. A lot of times, it is just a matter of reaching out to them to let them know that they are welcome - they may be intimidated. This year, at our annual car show, we had a prize for the youngest Porsche owner with a car entered in the show. And it actually turned out to be a young lady.

As evidenced above by several different posters, it is amazing (and scary) how one pompous *** in a position of authority can ruin the PCA experience for a whole region. Make it a point to be friendly and welcoming when a new member joins. If there is someone like that in the region, give a subtle hint to the new members that the problem person is in the minority. Then make it a point to get the problem person out of the position of authority for the good of the region.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:06 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by GWIT996F
Ooh, the good ol' black-n-white monthly analog newsletter. That's a dead giveaway for an old school club. Nothing wrong with that, but KC-CarGuy is our KCRPCA region president as well as our newsletter guru, and here's what he publishes bi-monthly: http://online.flipbuilder.com/hdka/mdnw/
And, it's cheaper than mailing out black-n-white hard copies. He may chime in here as well, but it is probably easier to put together and get distributed also (via email notice with a link). Just sayin'.
Make no mistake, though, I love that printed newsletter, I'd never want it to be replaced with a digital one!
Old 12-04-2018, 12:46 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,853 Likes on 2,935 Posts

Originally Posted by garrett376

I did - I thought it was sad to see the car all covered in salt and crap; although I did appreciate the practicality of it all.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:58 PM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by garrett376

I did, too. I liked the video which gave more in-depth comments about the car. Best comment for me was the engine having sound characteristics similar to air-cooled engines due to its Mezger design (or something to this effect). As someone who has owned every air-cooled 911 generation, I can relate.

I appreciate the 996TT for having these qualities combined with some modern bits such that having long trips similar to the PCA article is very enjoyable.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:53 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by kentburlingame
Wow, I had no idea how many folks here are Seattle/PNW based.

I'll second what SOS said for the instructor meeting with Ross Bentley (was there myself), and that's honestly just how that person is from what I've heard -- it's also pretty ironic as I've heard his wife is one of the slower folks on track but runs with the "big-dogs" as she has a very fast car.
Going to be even faster for the 2019 season, swapped the GT3RS for a GT2RS

Quick Reply: Who’s apart of PCA?