Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who’s apart of PCA?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 11:24 AM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 286 Likes on 197 Posts

Been a member for 17 years. I do all the track days and the odd social.
I have made many, many friends over the years.
Old 11-13-2018, 03:13 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 116 Posts

I'm a member, although I question why sometimes. I joined to participate in track events, but they don't seem to have a membership requirement to participate. Much more Porsche as a status symbol than Porsche enthusiast is the vibe that I got at social events. Some snobbery, some haters, my friends and I are typically the youngest of the bunch in our 30s.

My biggest gripe with the local group is that I am very experienced track driver and former motorcycle racer, but because I had never tracked with PCA they started me out in novice. My instructor signed me off solo after the first session and requested they move me to a more appropriate group but the DE chairperson declined. Then I was reprimanded on track for "driving too fast for the group I was in" by the DE chair. Huge WTF moment. I only tracked with them once more and was again placed in Novice.. "We dont bump people up groups after just one event" so I haven't been back. Others have had similar experiences.
Old 11-13-2018, 03:22 PM
Taifighter
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by T10Chris
Much more Porsche as a status symbol than Porsche enthusiast is the vibe that I got at social events.
This is how I envision my local club, and most P car owners in general... like the guy down the street from me or the guy with the Targa who's at every auto X at Tire Rack.

I'm glad that this bunch seems to mostly be made up of enthusiasts.
We should start our own club for like minded folks who don't give a fu(k about status symbols.
Old 11-13-2018, 03:56 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Taifighter
This is how I envision my local club, and most P car owners in general... like the guy down the street from me or the guy with the Targa who's at every auto X at Tire Rack.

I'm glad that this bunch seems to mostly be made up of enthusiasts.
We should start our own club for like minded folks who don't give a fu(k about status symbols.
That's kind of what we did.. I met a local 997TT owner on forums that is an overall enthusiast, then through PCA I met a 997.2 GT3 owner who is the same way, and he had met a couple with a 996 GT3... we do our own thing for the most part, go on our own drives and invite anyone that wants to come regardless of car, go to events together etc.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:00 PM
Taifighter
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

That's kind of what we did.. I met a local 997TT owner on forums that is an overall enthusiast, then through PCA I met a 997.2 GT3 owner who is the same way, and he had met a couple with a 996 GT3... we do our own thing for the most part, go on our own drives and invite anyone that wants to come regardless of car, go to events together etc.
Nice!
Old 11-13-2018, 04:39 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Been a PCA member for years - we have kind of formed our own membership within a group. I've also had the pleasure of having a variety of cars throughout my membership experience - from a 1990 C2 Targa - back when the 964 cars (and a targa) were not highly regarded. = To a g-50 cabriolet - that everybody liked - to a 1974IROC clone with a 3.6 - oh my god - to a 944S2 that I tracked for awhile (and was looked down upon because it was a lowly 944- until I passed em) then to a 996 Turbo. There is a fair amount of snobbery in our group - but there is an equally amount of good people that would give you the shirt of their back. I tend to gravitate towards the latter.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:34 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,437 Posts

My biggest gripe with the local group is that I am very experienced track driver and former motorcycle racer, but because I had never tracked with PCA they started me out in novice. My instructor signed me off solo after the first session and requested they move me to a more appropriate group but the DE chairperson declined. Then I was reprimanded on track for "driving too fast for the group I was in" by the DE chair. Huge WTF moment. I only tracked with them once more and was again placed in Novice.. "We dont bump people up groups after just one event" so I haven't been back. Others have had similar experiences.
The temperament of the track chair matters a lot.

Myself and others had a similar situation to yours our first year. Then a new track chair came in and we were all bumped up the solo groups rapidly. It was smooth sailing from then on. My region has gone to great lengths recently to appoint pro-advancement and more customer friendly track chairs. They have found, as your case exemplifies, if folks are held back too long they go elsewhere.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:17 PM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

PCA regions are what you make of them. If they don't fulfill what you want in your car club, get involved and makes that change. I'm lucky that belong to a very active and diverse region. No one cares what you drive (we have everything from 356's to hybrid Panameras. Just like minded enthusiasts who enjoy talking cars and hanging out. I've never really run into PCA members who treat the cars like status symbols. I think those that do buy them as status symbols are intimidated by PCA since they see the club as hardcore Porsche nuts.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:59 PM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

After being an inactive/non-member for a decade or so, I “renewed” last week. My first 911/Porsche coincided when I first became both a PCA and POC member in SoCal; I became more active with POC due to my interest in racing. I stayed with PCA for the magazines until I got more value out of forums like Rennlist. I tried PCA DE once and didn’t like it. Racing was more my preference at that time, where I don’t have to wait for point-bys or I have to stick my arm out to point-by (which I find not safe). Also, too many yahoos who think they won DE just because they can pass you in the straights and then park their cars in the corners.

The factors that made me join again:

1. I attended a few racing-related tech sessions, Show/Tell like Porsche 917, Vic Elford talks, etc. Thoroughly enjoyed it. The Northwest region, I think, has some special events going during the present period
2. Like any club or any organization, there are various personalities, ownership agendas, interests. I joined because there are certain enthusiasts in the club who appreciate racing, Porsche race history, and driving...and are fairly down to earth. Like anything, make the best out of the situation and make it your club by aligning with like-minded invidividuals in the club. Then race or go for a drive.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:05 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mclaudio
After being an inactive/non-member for a decade or so, I “renewed” last week. My first 911/Porsche coincided when I first became both a PCA and POC member in SoCal; I became more active with POC due to my interest in racing. I stayed with PCA for the magazines until I got more value out of forums like Rennlist. I tried PCA DE once and didn’t like it. Racing was more my preference at that time, where I don’t have to wait for point-bys or I have to stick my arm out to point-by (which I find not safe). Also, too many yahoos who think they won DE just because they can pass you in the straights and then park their cars in the corners.

The factors that made me join again:

1. I attended a few racing-related tech sessions, Show/Tell like Porsche 917, Vic Elford talks, etc. Thoroughly enjoyed it. The Northwest region, I think, has some special events going during the present period
2. Like any club or any organization, there are various personalities, ownership agendas, interests. I joined because there are certain enthusiasts in the club who appreciate racing, Porsche race history, and driving...and are fairly down to earth. Like anything, make the best out of the situation and make it your club by aligning with like-minded invidividuals in the club. Then race or go for a drive.

Totally agree, there have been a handful of interesting events over the last couple of years. The GT1 tech session in particular stands out for me and the 917 was nice although I had to leave that one early.

Just don't be as fast as our DE chair or you will get yelled at in the paddock for going too fast.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:31 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,462 Posts

For me...

Local club is very active.
Local club members are great.
Local DE's are great.
Local social events at various car-centric venues are fun.
Panorama mag is nice.
National events look like fun, but I've never been to a one.

Really, for $46/yr why not just join and see if you get anything out of it?
Old 11-13-2018, 11:33 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by docwyte
I'm also the tech inspection chair for track events.
Didn't know that! Now I know where to go if I miss the formal tech inspection ;- )

Old 11-13-2018, 11:43 PM
928 DesMoines
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 92 Posts

I am a member. I move often, so nice to have an immediate connection when I move into town.
I say this; and have not been to one meeting since moving to PA. LOL.
Old 11-14-2018, 12:10 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
Really, for $46/yr why not just join and see if you get anything out of it?

I'd rather use the $46 to buy a bottle of Jameson and an 8-pack of Guinness.
Old 11-14-2018, 12:23 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

As if there was only one disposable $46 in a Turbo owners budget...

Quick Reply: Who’s apart of PCA?