Sponsored by:

Speaker Upgrade JBL GTO 429

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 09:52 PM
HTX996t
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Speaker Upgrade JBL GTO 429

It took me several weeks of research, purchasing GTO 329s, realizing they were smaller than I’d like, returning them and getting 429s, finding a full set of grey 996 speaker pods on eBay and then getting time to put it together; but I wanted to pass along what I have learned about upgrading the speakers in my 2001 Turbo.

I decided to to order a full set of ‘02 speakers on eBay to avoid destroying the originals that came with my car, but otherwise you can do this with your speakers as they are. Note you will end up ruining the original speakers. Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions, comments or suggestions. I’m only uploading the first part now (deconstruction)-the installation of the new speakers will follow as soon as possible. I completed the rear speakers, but I’m building the tutorial on the fronts using what I’ve learned.

This speaker upgrade, along with my head unit upgrade (Sony XAV-ax100) is the first real modification I’ve done to my car so it hasn’t been terribly technical.

Deconstruction instructions: https://imgur.com/gallery/529bN82

UPDATE: Mounting the speaker instructions:
https://imgur.com/gallery/ZFpMyd4

UPDATE: Speaker pod assembly instructions:
https://imgur.com/gallery/fbjf7gK

Parts List:
Metra 71-017C wiring harness $10 (2 pieces, you’ll need 2 orders for all 4 speaker pods) at Crutchfield
JBL GTO 429 $50 (2 pieces, you’ll need 2 orders for all 4 speaker pods) at Amazon
[used speaker pods to tear apart-unnecesary, but I liked having the ability to return to stock, this cost will vary according to what you can find]

Tools List:
knife
angle cutters
Dremel
adhesive
screwdriver (Phillips fine point and Torx T20)
metal pick (optional)

And a picture of the old girl for good measure:

2001 Cobalt Blue Metallic 6MT

The goal-The final assembled, updated speaker pod on the left and the original speakers out of my 2001 Turbo.

Sony XAV-AX100 head unit installed with microphone and usb connector. The better sound put out from this head unit pushed me to upgrade the speakers which showed themselves to be trashed once I could crank the jams.

Custom wallpaper for Sony head unit.

Last edited by HTX996t; 11-16-2018 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Adding updates
Old 11-12-2018, 12:48 AM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

if you decide to upgrade the door speakers as well i have a set of speaker boxes for the doors if you want to keep your originals
Old 11-12-2018, 10:21 AM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

your car is hot!
Old 11-12-2018, 11:01 AM
HTX996t
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
if you decide to upgrade the door speakers as well i have a set of speaker boxes for the doors if you want to keep your originals
That would be great, I've heard that there are a few different types of door speaker boxes, any chance you can send me a picture so that I can compare? Feel free to send a PM. Thanks!

g-50cab - Thanks! I love this color; car needed (and continues to need) work, but I have never found one like it.

Last edited by HTX996t; 11-12-2018 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Adding Response
Old 11-12-2018, 01:36 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Originally Posted by HTX996t
That would be great, I've heard that there are a few different types of door speaker boxes, any chance you can send me a picture so that I can compare? Feel free to send a PM. Thanks!

g-50cab - Thanks! I love this color; car needed (and continues to need) work, but I have never found one like it.
these are from a 03 bose setup i have the pair
Old 11-13-2018, 08:18 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

So you didnt do all!. You do realize the Bose speakers are 2 ohm and aftermarket are 4 ohm. You might have some sound issues!
Old 11-14-2018, 08:51 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Those JBL's are not typical 4-ohm aftermarket drivers. Nominal is 3 ohms on the 429's.

I'm running the 428's (previous gen) off the Bose amp with no problem. The specs for the 428's say 2 ohms vs. 3 (which is why I personally stuck w/ the older gen to be safe) but I would bet that the OP is fine. Nominal impedance only means so much, and JBL seems to have intentionally designed this line of speakers to work with factory 2-ohm systems.

Last edited by manimal; 11-14-2018 at 09:11 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:03 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

My point is if hes running a mix it can cause some balance issues! Keep in mind if a speaker is rated at a nominal point, the impedance drops below that mark and goes above that mark based on the frequency its producing! The Bose amp can drive 4 ohm drivers or 3 ohm drivers, you will probably have to turn it higher to obtain the same volume level as if with just all 2 ohm drivers! ! So running all 3 or 4 ohm drivers will work, but running a mix is not really the way to go.
Actually JBL designed the 3 ohm nominal impedance to overcome sub par speaker wire found in most vehicles. By lowering the impedance at the driver the amp will see less overall impedance and more towards a true 4 ohm impedance at the output! It had nothing to do with matching to 2 ohm systems.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:06 PM
HTX996t
Intermediate

Originally Posted by manimal
Those JBL's are not typical 4-ohm aftermarket drivers. Nominal is 3 ohms on the 429's.

I'm running the 428's (previous gen) off the Bose amp with no problem. The specs for the 428's say 2 ohms vs. 3 (which is why I personally stuck w/ the older gen to be safe) but I would bet that the OP is fine. Nominal impedance only means so much, and JBL seems to have intentionally designed this line of speakers to work with factory 2-ohm systems.
Nailed it here. I actually don’t have the Bose system. No Bose badges on the speakers or anywhere in the car and the speakers actually say 4 ohms on the back, so I’m feeling good about the 429s. I didn’t realize that our cars came with ‘regular’ speakers.

I originally looked for 428s, but ultimately decided to go with the newer model and if I wasn’t happy, rip out the amp and do it “right” down the line. So far the 429s sound great in the rear enclosures, I can’t wait to get the dash pods installed.

I got the new speakers glued up this afternoon, once they are all screwed in and buttoned up I’ll post an update for the full tutorial. Hopefully it will be of help to someone down the road!
Old 11-14-2018, 10:08 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Fair point, and I understand -- that's what I meant by, "nominal impedance only means so much."

My point is that it's probably "close enough" to the factory 2-ohm impedance that it will work fine. Worst case, the dash speakers he just added are too quiet, and he can swap out the others if he desires. The only drivers I swapped out are the dash ones, and they are plenty loud vs. the other speakers.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:29 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HTX996t

Nailed it here. I actually don’t have the Bose system. No Bose badges on the speakers or anywhere in the car and the speakers actually say 4 ohms on the back, so I’m feeling good about the 429s. I didn’t realize that our cars came with ‘regular’ speakers.

I originally looked for 428s, but ultimately decided to go with the newer model and if I wasn’t happy, rip out the amp and do it “right” down the line. So far the 429s sound great in the rear enclosures, I can’t wait to get the dash pods installed.

I got the new speakers glued up this afternoon, once they are all screwed in and buttoned up I’ll post an update for the full tutorial. Hopefully it will be of help to someone down the road!
Then there is no issue! First tt I have heard that doesn’t have the Bose system!
Old 11-15-2018, 09:37 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Yeah, that is interesting. Mine is definitely the Bose (has cheesy Bose logos on the grills in the doors, etc.). I wonder if it's the same amp.

And man that color is amazing, OP.
Old 11-16-2018, 01:28 PM
HTX996t
Intermediate

FYI-I’ve posted a full update above with final assembly instructions, pictures, parts and tools list.

I’ll have to take a look at the amp to see what it is, I’m not sure. I included a pic of the speakers below, definitely doesn’t scream Bose...

Interestingly the original purchaser ordered it with the Hi-Fi option, DSP, and CD changer. Was Bose available on the 2001? OP’s choices seem incongruous with not getting Bose.

Original speakers.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:58 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

no bose until 03
Old 11-16-2018, 10:02 PM
PaleAle
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I just upgraded to JBL GTO 429's, in my Jeep YJ.

Quick Reply: Speaker Upgrade JBL GTO 429