Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Input on 996 turbo vs my 997.2 C2

Old 11-02-2018, 09:46 PM
Rambler_13
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Do not waist your time with him. Your input is appreciated by the rest of us.
Thank you
Old 11-02-2018, 10:04 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Rambler_13
A little lighter weight is always a plus
The 996 Turbo weighs more than the 997.2 C2

Having less power makes me have to work the car more, which is fun.
The 996 Turbo has more power than the 997.2 C2.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:16 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 282 Posts

I strongly considered a 997.2 when I was between Porsches after selling my 01 996TT, driving a lot of them and trying to talk myself into it. It was a great car and I’m sure I would have enjoyed it, but I decided to wait and ended up with an 04 996TT cab instead. Best decision I could have made, because I think the 996 is a much better fit for me overall. I love this car and I seem to have a special connection to it that I don’t think I would have had with the 997.

First world problems! You’ll be happy either way but I’d vote for the 996TT. If I move on from this one (unlikely) I’d skip the 997 and go to the 991.

By the way - I daily a Cayenne GTS. I’m sure many people daily their Turbos but I prefer to keep it as a special treat. Plus, I love my Cayenne too, and it is the best daily driver I’ve ever owned.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:27 PM
guardsred997
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I went from a 997.2TT manual to a 996TT manual. For me, a big part of that change was the value differentials and pocketing some cash. But I am finding that there’s a lot about the 996 that I like better, including the following to name a few:

- I prefer the looks, especially the less busy front end and no fog lights.
- The 996 suspension/chassis is the culmination of Porsche chassis tuning before going to pasm, dynamic engine mounts, PTV, etc. I’ve come to appreciate and prefer the feel of the pinnacle of this tuning over the early stage electronic additions, as good as they are. My 997 also had a track alignment, rear diff, and dsc module, and that still doesn’t change my astonishment of how good the 996 is.
- A little lighter weight is always a plus
- Having less power makes me have to work the car more, which is fun. And it still has ridiculous power in stock form. And mine is not an X50. I’ve also owned a 991.1 TTS and a 991.1 GTS. The 996TT is a f’cking incredible bargain, even at the current uptick in prices. This cannot be emphasized enough. If you can find a nice example in the 50s/60s, it’s like stealing in the Porsche world.

thank you for this! This helps. Even though my car is way less in power!
Old 11-02-2018, 11:32 PM
guardsred997
Intermediate

Originally Posted by leftlane
I strongly considered a 997.2 when I was between Porsches after selling my 01 996TT, driving a lot of them and trying to talk myself into it. It was a great car and I’m sure I would have enjoyed it, but I decided to wait and ended up with an 04 996TT cab instead. Best decision I could have made, because I think the 996 is a much better fit for me overall. I love this car and I seem to have a special connection to it that I don’t think I would have had with the 997.

First world problems! You’ll be happy either way but I’d vote for the 996TT. If I move on from this one (unlikely) I’d skip the 997 and go to the 991.

By the way - I daily a Cayenne GTS. I’m sure many people daily their Turbos but I prefer to keep it as a special treat. Plus, I love my Cayenne too, and it is the best daily driver I’ve ever owned.
I really like my Cayenne, too. Unfortunately I only have so much room in the garage. I do have two girls and one is almost to the booster seat phase, so this figures in. The other girl is 12 so she is good in the front seat now. I just don’t want to miss the boat on these beautiful cars. They seem to be appreciating and my 997.2 seems to have stabilized after some small depreciation when I bought it 4 years ago. Also, the turbo should be a better long term car value wise compared to a base Carrera. The 997.2 does have the dfi engine, so that does help its case as far as resale.

I also thought about buying the 996 TT and getting a cheap car for commuting and carting kids around. Life is too short to wait another 15 years when they are both out of the house *hopefully*. I’m impatient.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:42 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by guardsred997
I really like my Cayenne, too. Unfortunately I only have so much room in the garage. I do have two girls and one is almost to the booster seat phase, so this figures in.
Keep the Cayenne.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:42 PM
guardsred997
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Maybe some observations from this thread will help: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...omparison.html

In the end, the only smart thing to do is to drive a 996TT yourself.
Thanks for the link. That does help. I have driven 3 996 TT- really like them.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:50 PM
Rambler_13
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by guardsred997

thank you for this! This helps. Even though my car is way less in power!
You're welcome, even though I was comparing to a 997.2TT, haha. My 997 was great too, but I’m thrilled with how good the 996 is and I’m totally happy with the move. There may be some elements of the C2S that you will miss like with any change but I think you will find the 996TT to be an overall excellently rounded car.
Old 11-03-2018, 01:07 PM
coffeehead
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thoughts in no particular order:

• 996tt and 2014 Cayenne S sitting in my garage. Great combo.
• Having hopped back and forth between 997's and 996's lately, I must say that there's a difference in styling and refinement, but they are 80-90% subjectively the same machine.
• I also previously had a 996C2.
• With K24's and tune, this car is REALLY fast. Like 2x the C2. And cars that are 2x my car are (almost) common.
• Steering on any C4 chassis is not as good. It lacks the sublime feedback of the C2 front end that at once feels planted and nimble. In contrast, the front of my turbo feels numb. Many have converted to 2wd (hopefully with some kind of LSD) and switched to C2 front suspension to get the best of all worlds. This is on my to-do list.
* If it matters, the car gets a fair amount of attention whenever enthusiasts (Porsche or otherwise) get together. Far more than my other Porsches did. Whether it's the Mezger club, the height of analog (hydraulic steering, manual trans, etc) or the fact that it's a performance platform that can hang with modern supercars, the 996tt has earned a place of respect among those in-the-know.
• I may buy other Porsches, but I won't sell this one.
Old 11-03-2018, 05:09 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by coffeehead
• Steering on any C4 chassis is not as good. It lacks the sublime feedback of the C2 front end that at once feels planted and nimble. In contrast, the front of my turbo feels numb. Many have converted to 2wd (hopefully with some kind of LSD) and switched to C2 front suspension to get the best of all worlds. This is on my to-do list.
just so your aware NOBODY switches from awd to a c2 setup. they may go rwd and keep the awd front spindles or use gt2/gt3 spindles but NOBODY uses the c2 setup.
Old 11-03-2018, 06:44 PM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

I had a 99 C2 as a daily and sold it @ 145k miles. Enjoyed it as a daily with modern hvac and still analog qualities. Switched to Cayennes (S and GTS) before deciding to go back to a 911. I decided on a 996TT after driving several 6TTs, a 7TT, a 991 base, 997.1 and a 997.2. Intended use has always been as a street daily.

The 996TT are incredible values as the best all-around daily driver yet still had relevant performance and simpler/more analog driving characteristics. The motorsports-proven, GT1-derived Mezger engine has been bulletproof and was also a big draw for me as a race car enthusiast/amateur racer. 996TT is a sweet spot Porsche IMHO.
Old 11-03-2018, 09:31 PM
guardsred997
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mclaudio
I had a 99 C2 as a daily and sold it @ 145k miles. Enjoyed it as a daily with modern hvac and still analog qualities. Switched to Cayennes (S and GTS) before deciding to go back to a 911. I decided on a 996TT after driving several 6TTs, a 7TT, a 991 base, 997.1 and a 997.2. Intended use has always been as a street daily.

The 996TT are incredible values as the best all-around daily driver yet still had relevant performance and simpler/more analog driving characteristics. The motorsports-proven, GT1-derived Mezger engine has been bulletproof and was also a big draw for me as a race car enthusiast/amateur racer. 996TT is a sweet spot Porsche IMHO.
This is great feedback, thank you.
Old 11-04-2018, 12:55 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

996tt, there is no substitute. It’s the mad max of 911’s
Old 11-04-2018, 02:32 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I am starting to feel the pull of possibly trading my 997.2 C2 for a 996 turbo...
You'll find very few people with hands-on experience with much bad to say about the 996 Turbo. It's an awesome near-supercar at an affordable price, and due to many fanatical Porsche owners, many examples are really in nice shape even after 13-17 years. Pretty much the only complaints you'll hear are misguided jabs at the headlight design, which I personally think has aged incredibly well (especially with the turbo front bumper and lip) and now offer something a bit more distinctive from the front than every other post 996 generation 911.

My ideal 996 Turbo would be one with relatively low miles, a long option list, and a color other than grey, silver or black....
On a "long options list", IHMO that makes little difference when shopping for a 996 generation Turbo. IMHO, very few options were offered that are really of any consequence... They all came with full leather and other standard features, and many of the high dollar cosmetic options (wood and carbon for example) have NOT aged well. Nav upgrade? Worthless. X50? apart from some collector value, completely irrelevant with the tunes and turbo upgrades available. Sport seats? They look great, but can actually fit many with wide shoulders pretty poorly. PCCB brakes? first gen PCCB's really weren't all that awesome, and the potential for damage and huge replacement cost also makes them an option that is certainly no deal-breaker. I'll even say that mileage (within reason) isn't really that important.

My advice is to buy a coupe six-speed that is 1) mostly stock, 2) cosmetically outstanding, 3) extremely well sorted mechanically and 4) in a color combo you like. Without much concern of year or options,.. Then add a tune and whatever cosmetic and suspension tweaks you really want.

I am wondering if a 996 turbo would be ok as a daily driver for a year or two if I were to trade the Cayenne or sell it outright.
The 997 generation cars, particularly the .2, offer a few niceties for a daily driver. A bit more modern interior, more modern nav (though still hopelessly outdated), bluetooth, etc. I put a Carplay double-din head unit in my 996 and now have full iPhone/nav integration, something 911s didn't offer OEM until 2017.

My biggest issue is that my daily driver needs a bit more comfort and space, and the 911 is the car I take on weekends or work days when I don't have to be in six different places. If your "daily drive" is just a commute to/from work and not in freeway bumper-to-bumper, no reason why it wouldn't make a great daily driver.
Old 11-05-2018, 05:26 PM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Atrox
996tt, there is no substitute. It’s the mad max of 911’s
Now that's a great quote!

and I agree

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Input on 996 turbo vs my 997.2 C2