Sponsored by:

Exhaust and tune ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 01:02 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
I believe what Cali does is plug in to check the system. If it passes they use their diagnostics computer to trigger the emission monitors to reset and see if the ECU programing sets them to "ready" without doing the mileage and thus has emission check defeat software.
if thats what they do im ever so glad i live in tenn.
Old 10-28-2018, 03:19 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Readiness monitors are another can of worms here. In Kali you are only ( now ) allowed the EVAP to be not ready.

Tuned or untuned, if all monitors are not set to "ready" don't even bother asking the tech to plug in to the dme as it's an immediate fail.

Some testers will "check" first so if there's a problem it won't be reported as a "fail". Some will not. Best to "know a guy". Even more important given the ever tightening restrictions on passing here is to scan your DME pre test.

Lastly, there are NO cars that will be ready if the codes have been cleared until a full requisite drive cycle has been SUCCESSFULLY completed.

That alone, can cause you issues for weeks. My last re-set took 1000 miles. But that's only as I was unable to follow the simple step by steps of the drive cycle, as I live on a mountain.
It's all getting tricky.
Old 10-28-2018, 09:20 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,701 Likes on 991 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
33krazy!, that's what they're looking for. A car with a tune on it that's pushing the monitors to read ready will have them pop "ready" instantly after resetting them.

That's how the emissions place knows something isn't stock because as you say, they won't read "ready" right away
My old tune pushed all the monitors to ready, catless exhaust and all. There was actually no way for me to get them to show not ready. With that said, I've never had any issues passing emissions in Colorado where they simply check to see if the monitors are ready. They do not reset them here, at least not at the station I've been to. I think they also check the gas cap but dont' even think they did that last time. You can also drive by the roadside remote emission test monitors and not even have to do an emission test. I think the requirement there is 2 roadside monitor passes (on different days) in lieu of a emission station visit.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:22 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
if you have a completely legal; and stock and disconnect the battery you have to reset the moniters to get them to ready status. tales 50 mile minimum. if they reset the moniters at the testing station they wont get a single car to pass. the dme doesnt have a clue about modifications as long as all the moniters read ready or n/a. in cali that would be a visual inspection to see those. the computer merely wants to see of they are ready or n/a
They are checking the monitors to see if they're set. Then they're resetting them and checking them again. If they're reading "ready" directly after resetting them, then they know you have a tune that's messing with the emissions monitors and they fail you.

I've been told this is happening in Massachusetts. It's easy for them to do and I'm sure others will do it in the future as well.

John, I haven't had an issue here in Colorado either, they just read the car and check the gas cap. Since I have cats and a tune that doesn't play with the emissions monitors I pass without problems
Old 10-29-2018, 10:57 AM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

God bless Texas! You poor guys can’t even drink from a plastic straw.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:22 AM
s65e90
Drifting

Received 722 Likes on 500 Posts

They are checking the monitors to see if they're set. Then they're resetting them and checking them again. If they're reading "ready" directly after resetting them, then they know you have a tune that's messing with the emissions monitors and they fail you.

I've been told this is happening in Massachusetts. It's easy for them to do and I'm sure others will do it in the future as well.

John, I haven't had an issue here in Colorado either, they just read the car and check the gas cap. Since I have cats and a tune that doesn't play with the emissions monitors I pass without problems
I don't believe that at all.
Old 10-29-2018, 01:09 PM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Atrox
God bless Texas! You poor guys can’t even drink from a plastic straw.
Yup, I think plastic straws are now outlawed. And I haven't seen a plastic grocery bag in years....!
Old 10-29-2018, 01:36 PM
ceeyahd1
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I am a new guy here and confused to what you guys mean when you say visual and monitors. Are there any after market exhaust systems that will pass CA. smog tests? Are they worth paying thousands of dollars on?
Old 10-29-2018, 04:58 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Originally Posted by ceeyahd1
I am a new guy here and confused to what you guys mean when you say visual and monitors. Are there any after market exhaust systems that will pass CA. smog tests? Are they worth paying thousands of dollars on?
visual is justb that. the shop or facility visually checking for a modified exhaust. moniters are in the dme such as O2 readiness secondary air readiness O2 heater readiness monitors. typically there 5-7 monitors that the computer plug in checks for
Old 10-29-2018, 05:01 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

my issue with this is that it would be a completely random test. why would they reset anything on a 2014 buick regal owned by a 65 yr old woman? if they test it and it passes why reset it? same could be said for 300,000$ lambo that rolls in . govt testing is supposed to be equal across the board for all testing . for any shop to randomly reset moniters if the car passes first time thru would be suspect to me
Old 10-29-2018, 05:23 PM
ceeyahd1
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you guys talking about modified exhaust with cats.?
Old 10-29-2018, 05:43 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Originally Posted by ceeyahd1
Are you guys talking about modified exhaust with cats.?
for cali it would be any exhaust not carb certified. emissions and mods allowed vary widely state to state
Old 10-29-2018, 06:26 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
my issue with this is that it would be a completely random test. why would they reset anything on a 2014 buick regal owned by a 65 yr old woman? if they test it and it passes why reset it? same could be said for 300,000$ lambo that rolls in . govt testing is supposed to be equal across the board for all testing . for any shop to randomly reset moniters if the car passes first time thru would be suspect to me
Perhaps it's just the STAR stations doing it to cars with high emitter profiles? I doubt Grandma's registration renewal for her Regal is requiring her to go to a STAR station.
Old 10-29-2018, 07:24 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,701 Likes on 991 Posts

My old UMW tune pushed all the monitors to ready. If you have a UMW Tune it may be doing the same unless mine was set up to do that while others are not. It’s easy enough to check. Simply reset your emission monitors with durametric and see if they show ready or not ready right away. Mine always showed ready no matter what. On my Cayenne it will show not ready after a reset and then takes some driving around for everything to go back to ready.
Old 10-29-2018, 07:27 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

a 996 turbo is considered to be a 'high emitter" in CA. don't know why? i get at least 9 to 15 mpg.

add: 32krazy's right about the "reset" at the test station. no car that i'm aware of will immediately re-set to *ready*. they will tell you that when you go there. if you have JUST reset them or even a CEL? dont bother plugging in. drive cycle or a 100 miles or so. then "test".

Last edited by "02996ttx50; 10-29-2018 at 07:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Exhaust and tune ?