Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust and tune ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 01:07 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 325 Posts

That's complete garbage. If the car passes the test, has operational cats in place and passes the sound dB limits, it shouldn't matter. Are any of the aftermarket exhausts for our cars CARB approved? Makes me happy I'm in Colorado. As long as my readiness monitors are set, I'm all good. All they do here on the 996 turbos is an OBD2 scan and check to make sure your gas cap fits properly.
Old 10-27-2018, 01:13 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
That's complete garbage....Makes me happy I'm in Colorado.
Makes me happy I'm in Georgia.
Old 10-27-2018, 03:22 PM
michalik.piotr
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Consider SOUL, excellent product and service. Ofcourse UMV for tune.
Old 10-27-2018, 03:29 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by michalik.piotr
Consider SOUL, excellent product and service. Ofcourse UMV for tune.
That's the exact setup I have. Soul Performance exhaust, UMW tune.
Old 10-27-2018, 06:17 PM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

That's complete garbage. If the car passes the test, has operational cats in place and passes the sound dB limits, it shouldn't matter. Are any of the aftermarket exhausts for our cars CARB approved? Makes me happy I'm in Colorado. As long as my readiness monitors are set, I'm all good. All they do here on the 996 turbos is an OBD2 scan and check to make sure your gas cap fits properly.
You won't get an argument out of me.

But it is what it is. No point in trying to smog a car at a non-friendly shop and getting failed/flagged.

With rear O2s turned off on de-cat cars, I assume that the readiness state is incomplete. Fail, even if they never did a visual.

I didn't grow up in California, I'm from Florida, but had to deal with their ****ty smog laws in the 80s and 90s. I hear they no longer bother...

I am unaware of any CARB (CA Air Resources Board) legal aftermarket exhausts for our cars.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:37 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Yes, rear O2's turned off is an immediate failure of the readiness code, it won't be set. My Soul Performance exhaust has 200 cell HJS cats, so my rear O2's are still turned on and all readiness monitors remain set.
Old 10-27-2018, 08:08 PM
LuigiPetrone
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes, rear O2's turned off is an immediate failure of the readiness code, it won't be set. My Soul Performance exhaust has 200 cell HJS cats, so my rear O2's are still turned on and all readiness monitors remain set.
so would that soul performance kit pass smog here in cali? I'm guessing that the cats probably still don't have the CARB numbers on them??
Old 10-27-2018, 08:22 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiPetrone
so would that soul performance kit pass smog here in cali? I'm guessing that the cats probably still don't have the CARB numbers on them??
Originally Posted by Road King
You won't get an argument out of me.

But it is what it is. No point in trying to smog a car at a non-friendly shop and getting failed/flagged.

With rear O2s turned off on de-cat cars, I assume that the readiness state is incomplete. Fail, even if they never did a visual.

I didn't grow up in California, I'm from Florida, but had to deal with their ****ty smog laws in the 80s and 90s. I hear they no longer bother...

I am unaware of any CARB (CA Air Resources Board) legal aftermarket exhausts for our cars.
that all only applies unless you have a file on the dme that resets itself every time the ignition key is cycled. and tells the dme that the readiness monitors are either ready or n/a. most govt computers only look for moniters that are not ready
Old 10-27-2018, 08:27 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
that all only applies unless you have a file on the dme that resets itself every time the ignition key is cycled. and tells the dme that the readiness monitors are either ready or n/a. most govt computers only look for moniters that are not ready
What the emissions places are doing now is reseting the monitors. Then restarting the car. If the monitors set right away they now someone has monkeyed with the programming.

Technically the Soul Performance exhaust WILL pass Cali emissions. Whether that happens in reality I don't know as it seems variable based on the location you go.
Old 10-27-2018, 10:24 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

What the emissions places are doing now is reseting the monitors. Then restarting the car. If the monitors set right away they now someone has monkeyed with the programming.

Technically the Soul Performance exhaust WILL pass Cali emissions. Whether that happens in reality I don't know as it seems variable based on the location you go.
it would fail every car then. resetting the readiness moniters would take 50 miles or more to set to ready
Old 10-28-2018, 01:56 AM
michalik.piotr
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

@LuigiPetrone Prolly not, I have the one with OUT cats. My car is registered in a county that does NOT do emissions testing though.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:46 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

33krazy!, that's what they're looking for. A car with a tune on it that's pushing the monitors to read ready will have them pop "ready" instantly after resetting them.

That's how the emissions place knows something isn't stock because as you say, they won't read "ready" right away
Old 10-28-2018, 12:16 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Do you actually KNOW this or are you speculating? I have a number of aftermarket components from intake to exhaust (Europipes) to tune...never had an issue.
Old 10-28-2018, 12:17 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

33krazy!, that's what they're looking for. A car with a tune on it that's pushing the monitors to read ready will have them pop "ready" instantly after resetting them.

That's how the emissions place knows something isn't stock because as you say, they won't read "ready" right away
if you have a completely legal; and stock and disconnect the battery you have to reset the moniters to get them to ready status. tales 50 mile minimum. if they reset the moniters at the testing station they wont get a single car to pass. the dme doesnt have a clue about modifications as long as all the moniters read ready or n/a. in cali that would be a visual inspection to see those. the computer merely wants to see of they are ready or n/a
Old 10-28-2018, 12:55 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,437 Posts

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
if you have a completely legal; and stock and disconnect the battery you have to reset the moniters to get them to ready status. tales 50 mile minimum. if they reset the moniters at the testing station they wont get a single car to pass. the dme doesnt have a clue about modifications as long as all the moniters read ready or n/a. in cali that would be a visual inspection to see those. the computer merely wants to see of they are ready or n/a
I believe what Cali does is plug in to check the system. If it passes they use their diagnostics computer to trigger the emission monitors to reset and see if the ECU programing sets them to "ready" without doing the mileage and thus has emission check defeat software.

Quick Reply: Exhaust and tune ?