Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about side scoop?

Old 10-24-2018, 12:03 PM
Rvca3112
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Question about side scoop?

It’s no secret that our side intercooler intakes sit very close to the body and not further out to grab more air for enhanced cooling. Porsche corrected this with the newer turbos by sticking the intakes further out along the body.

My question...

is is there any other source out there for a larger air duct other than the Joe Toth (I appreciate joes work and the things he does for the community but they’re just too bulbous) and the Manthey sets (perfect but god damn with that price tag for something that’s so small))? For the amount of options of rear wings, side skirts, bumpers.... why isn’t anyone maybe looking into this area that’s crucial to the performance of our cars? This post is more or less rant now that I think about it but whatever.

Anyone have a source for 3D printing to maybe tackle this?
Old 10-24-2018, 12:32 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Rvca3112
...why isn’t anyone maybe looking into this area that’s crucial to the performance of our cars?
Crucial relative to track performance?
Old 10-24-2018, 01:05 PM
Rvca3112
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dock
Crucial relative to track performance?
overall cooling from a performance stand point.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:25 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

overall cooling from a performance stand point.
Are you lacking performance from your 996 Turbo in street applications because of the cooling provided by your intercoolers?
Old 10-24-2018, 01:54 PM
trendy996
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I follow a handful of 3D printing pages and if you contracted someone to do this you’ll probably be close to the same cost as the Manthey product. There is a place to get them for 750 ish but still a high price tag. However while considering to use 3D printing I would also be looking at the duct way from the scoop to the smic. You can only flow so much through a certain space. I haven’t personally had a look of the routing through the quarter panels but I would imagine that there is room for improvement.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:57 PM
trendy996
Banned

The turbo cars are pretty sensitive for timing with the relation of the IAT. Keeping the temps in check will keep you in the timing area you want to stay in. We know aftermarket smic units can help as well but I believe some conditions still can’t be controlled just by them alone.
Old 10-24-2018, 06:20 PM
Rvca3112
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by trendy996
The turbo cars are pretty sensitive for timing with the relation of the IAT. Keeping the temps in check will keep you in the timing area you want to stay in. We know aftermarket smic units can help as well but I believe some conditions still can’t be controlled just by them alone.
iats are crucial for our cars to run well. I went on a Dyno earlier this year, the facility I went to didn’t provide adequate cooling to the intercoolers. My iats shot up to over 200 and the car was pulling timing like crazy to save itself. I know it’s unrelated to the topic I brought up, but it was one of those moments where it kinda clicked for me on how important all the small things are.

If if there was some type of additional way to draw more air across the surface area of the coolers, I think we can all agree that it would be a great thing, no?
Old 10-24-2018, 06:24 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Received 156 Likes on 111 Posts

One factor to consider that many people don't realize- the stock inlets function more by pulling air through the coolers from venturi created by air moving across the outlet at the bottom of bumper than by air entering on its own through the upper inlet. The air flowing across the lower duct creates a vacuum in the inlet since the air is moving faster across the bottom than inside the lower duct work and it sucks air through the side scoop. Hard to explain it correctly. Bigger ducts help the venturi pull more air through.
Old 10-24-2018, 06:36 PM
trendy996
Banned

There’s been plenty of data between Toth and Manthey of them dropping intake temps between 10-40 degrees. I may be off a little but close for discussion. If the Venturi effect is there then why not place puller fans there?
Old 10-24-2018, 06:49 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

If if there was some type of additional way to draw more air across the surface area of the coolers, I think we can all agree that it would be a great thing, no?
Great in what way? During street use, would the modified inlets impact temperatures enough to be apparent in terms of SOTP acceleration during street use?
Old 10-24-2018, 07:01 PM
trendy996
Banned

I guess that’s where puller fans would create an benefit.
Old 10-24-2018, 07:13 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Received 156 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by trendy996
There’s been plenty of data between Toth and Manthey of them dropping intake temps between 10-40 degrees. I may be off a little but close for discussion. If the Venturi effect is there then why not place puller fans there?
I know there is data- I have Joe's scoops and contributed same day track data before and after.

Puller fans would probably make it worse... theyre an obstruction.
Old 10-24-2018, 07:29 PM
Rvca3112
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dock
Great in what way? During street use, would the modified inlets impact temperatures enough to be apparent in terms of SOTP acceleration during street use?

overall efficiency of any engine is a must right? I doubt during average street use, but for a acceleration type situation (on ramp, traffic light, etc) I think the added air being drawn in will help the engine.

Im not a engineer of any sorts. I own pizzerias. I could be talking out of my butt, but just overall I made a observation
Old 10-24-2018, 07:48 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

overall efficiency of any engine is a must right?
Efficiency is important, but IMO there first needs to be an indication that something isn't efficient enough in its current design. I think for street use, a stock 996 Turbo has all the efficiencies needed to produce enough acceleration to manage any situation you reasonably face. If there isn't enough acceleration available for what you're attempting to do, then I would suggest you just not do it.
Old 10-24-2018, 10:36 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,431 Posts

Originally Posted by T10Chris
One factor to consider that many people don't realize- the stock inlets function more by pulling air through the coolers from venturi created by air moving across the outlet at the bottom of bumper than by air entering on its own through the upper inlet. The air flowing across the lower duct creates a vacuum in the inlet since the air is moving faster across the bottom than inside the lower duct work and it sucks air through the side scoop. Hard to explain it correctly. Bigger ducts help the venturi pull more air through.
Exactly. To improve flow the entire system needs to be analyzed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question about side scoop?