Sponsored by:

First Porsche; first problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 05:17 PM
tseid
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy First Porsche; first problem

Hello, I am new to this site and to the Porsche world. I'm looking for some advice on my well maintained (by previous owner who is a family member) 2001 996 turbo with 34k gentle miles. Car has been running fine but two days ago noticed the AC fan did not go on while driving. Then yesterday, noticed the driving lamps would go on but not the headlamps (brights were ok). Also, when I removed the key from the ignition, the warning alarm went off saying that the key was still in the ignition, and the instrument cluster remained lit. When I tried to place the key back into the ignition, I could not get it in at first. I eventually could get it in but not without a lot of manipulation. The engine again started up fine. When I removed the key from the ignition again, the warning alarm and display said the key is still in the ignition. The car will not arm or even lock when pushing the button on the key. It will only lock (but not arm) and the instrument cluster will only go off when I lock the car by putting the key in the door lock. Although the car seems to start fine once I get the key in the ignition, I am afraid to drive it anywhere and not be able to get it the key in or get the car started again. Anybody have any ideas or advice?
Old 10-22-2018, 11:58 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

Unfortunately a common failure. Replace the electrical part of the ignition switch. $12 at Napa or %~$35 (Pelican parts) for one that will last more then a year. First time will take you ~1 hour after the next couple ~25 minutes. Small screwdriver and head lamp + being small and flexible helps.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin...nition+Switch+

one of many DIYs one the web

maybe better one. DONT TAKE THE SCREWS ALL OF THE WAY OUT! Just until about three or four threads show.

Old 10-22-2018, 01:19 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

Yep, fpb111 is correct, definitely an ignition switch failure. There are a bunch of threads here and in the normally aspirated 996 forum on exactly how to do it, tools to use and tips to make it less painful. Just search for "ignition switch". Actually, it really is easy to swap the switch out. The trouble is that you have to lay on your back in the driver's side footwell with your left arm over your head. Place a towel or blanket over the driver's side door sill to be a cushion for your back. You'll have to scrape some Locktite off the two little screw heads in order to get them to turn, and if you don't wear glasses while doing that, you'll end up with the crumbles of Locktite in your eyes (ask me how I know). Whatever you do, don't buy one of the cheapest switches - buy the $29 model (you don't need the Porsche branded part, but do get the OEM manufacturer equivalent). The cheapest models aren't the most reliable, and if you buy the el cheapo, you'll be making the swap again in a few months most likely (again, ask me how I know!).

Although the price is only a couple of bucks cheaper, you might consider buying from Rennlist sponsor Warehouse33auto.com and using promo code "996outpost" or "Rennlist" to save 10% on the list price (nothing against Pelican, but Jason, the owner of Warehouse33auto.com is active here in this forum and actually owns a 996TT, plus he's a really great guy) :

https://www.warehouse33auto.com/cata...gnition.Switch

One last thing - there are two different models of the switch, an older model and a newer one. It will be difficult to tell which one you have until you actually get under there and pull the old one out. The newer model has the white plastic dome on the backside (just look at the pics online and you'll see what I mean). With a 2001 model car, it could easily be either model. The good news is that once you pull the ignition switch out to look, you can just plug it back in so that you can drive it (if necessary). The second time I did the job, it only took me 19 minutes from start to finish (and I'm neither small nor limber - it CAN be done by us big guys ).
Old 10-22-2018, 02:13 PM
tseid
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

unhook battery before working on switch or is that unnecessary?
Old 10-22-2018, 02:29 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

Not necessary to unhook battery.
Old 10-22-2018, 02:52 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

I'd ALWAYS unhook the battery before working on anything electrical as a general practice.
You're asking for unpleasant surprises if you don't.
Old 10-22-2018, 03:22 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 237 Likes on 171 Posts

Best practice is to disconnect the battery when working on the electrical system, period.
Old 10-22-2018, 03:50 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

Before you disconnect the battery make sure that you have the radio code.
Old 10-25-2018, 01:04 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by GWIT996F
Yep, fpb111 is correct, definitely an ignition switch failure. There are a bunch of threads here and in the normally aspirated 996 forum on exactly how to do it, tools to use and tips to make it less painful. Just search for "ignition switch". Actually, it really is easy to swap the switch out. The trouble is that you have to lay on your back in the driver's side footwell with your left arm over your head. Place a towel or blanket over the driver's side door sill to be a cushion for your back. You'll have to scrape some Locktite off the two little screw heads in order to get them to turn, and if you don't wear glasses while doing that, you'll end up with the crumbles of Locktite in your eyes (ask me how I know). Whatever you do, don't buy one of the cheapest switches - buy the $29 model (you don't need the Porsche branded part, but do get the OEM manufacturer equivalent). The cheapest models aren't the most reliable, and if you buy the el cheapo, you'll be making the swap again in a few months most likely (again, ask me how I know!).

Although the price is only a couple of bucks cheaper, you might consider buying from Rennlist sponsor Warehouse33auto.com and using promo code "996outpost" or "Rennlist" to save 10% on the list price (nothing against Pelican, but Jason, the owner of Warehouse33auto.com is active here in this forum and actually owns a 996TT, plus he's a really great guy) :

https://www.warehouse33auto.com/cata...gnition.Switch

One last thing - there are two different models of the switch, an older model and a newer one. It will be difficult to tell which one you have until you actually get under there and pull the old one out. The newer model has the white plastic dome on the backside (just look at the pics online and you'll see what I mean). With a 2001 model car, it could easily be either model. The good news is that once you pull the ignition switch out to look, you can just plug it back in so that you can drive it (if necessary). The second time I did the job, it only took me 19 minutes from start to finish (and I'm neither small nor limber - it CAN be done by us big guys ).
"lay on your back" wtf? lol.

Quick Reply: First Porsche; first problem