Need a sanity check on Turbo values

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 06:02 PM
neonshadow
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a sanity check on Turbo values

Hello,

Pretty far a long my search for a low mileage 996tt. Mostly was looking at non-X50 tips (as that’s all that was local), but recently came across a 2004 X50 stick with ~40k black on black.

The car unfortunately has seen better days. It was originally an east coast snow area car. Tools are pretty corroded and looks like the spare was down a few times. Interior is very scratched up and has broken off pieces in trim. Will have to fix all of that if I end up buying it.

The front bumper shows areas of paint/large touch up. Rest of the paint looks original, but has various rough spots.

If PPI comes out clean, any thoughts on what an X50 stick would be worth?

EDIT: Also, how big of a deal is quality repaint on say the bumper and fenders (to blend color)?
Old 10-14-2018, 06:18 PM
kmagnuss
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

50-55k
Old 10-14-2018, 06:22 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 237 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by neonshadow
Hello,

Pretty far a long my search for a low mileage 996tt. Mostly was looking at non-X50 tips (as that’s all that was local), but recently came across a 2004 X50 stick with ~40k black on black.

The car unfortunately has seen better days. It was originally an east coast snow area car. Tools are pretty corroded and looks like the spare was down a few times. Interior is very scratched up and has broken off pieces in trim. Will have to fix all of that if I end up buying it.

The front bumper shows areas of paint/large touch up. Rest of the paint looks original, but has various rough spots.

If PPI comes out clean, any thoughts on what an X50 stick would be worth?

EDIT: Also, how big of a deal is quality repaint on say the bumper and fenders (to blend color)?
I'd keep looking unless you are ok with a partial repaint and current condition. A good shop can definitely match the color especially non metallic. I would be skeptical of the east coast salt corrosion on the chassis, so definitely check it out. Having said that, I am thinking low to high 40's. I purchased a 03 X50 with 35K mi. MSRP $146K in excellent condition for $45.5k two years a go. Prices have gone up since then.

Post the vin so we can look at the build/options.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:25 PM
neonshadow
Track Day

Thanks, that’s pretty much what I though. Don’t have the vin with me right now, but was able to get the build off of vin analytics last night.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:39 PM
techweenie
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

If you are a hands-on type of owner, scratched and damaged interior parts are trivial. Our cars share many interior components with n/a 996s and even Boxsters, so getting nice used trim parts at low prices is no challenge. Many trim pieces snap on and off. And there are lots of YouTube videos to help.

I'd set aside a minimum of $700 for the bumper cover refinishing. With all the spot repaint, it's quite possible there was prior trauma to the bumper cover, and you want that all made perfect before repaint. Most shops should be able to come very close on color without blending, but add $500 per panel if you want blending done.

I'd treat the beat up interior as a 'yellow flag' though, and want to see maintenance records, and of course an overrev report. Its usually best to buy Turbos from fanatical owners, but you might save a lot buying one that's slightly scruffy.

Great example is the 996 Turbo that did not meet reserve on BAT recently. It had 997 Turbo wheels with yellow highlights and the bidders dinged it for $10K or so for a wheel swap that could have cost less than $2K.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:48 PM
neonshadow
Track Day

Totally fine doing the work myself, but like you said - it’s a data point.

No records or the maintenance book. Some records on Carfax - clutch at 28k miles, some other stuff between 30 and 40, but fairly sparse.

Whats the value discount if the car has paint work or is there a value impact?
Old 10-14-2018, 07:01 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Totally fine doing the work myself, but like you said - it’s a data point.

No records or the maintenance book. Some records on Carfax - clutch at 28k miles, some other stuff between 30 and 40, but fairly sparse.

Whats the value discount if the car has paint work or is there a value impact?
There may be some deduction for paint work. Example, if you just had the bumper resprayed, it would probably not effect the value. If you were to respray the hood fenders etc. you will take a hit and some may walk away from the deal. If you have a ppi make sure the shop does a paint thickness test of the whole car to see if there is additional damage, and to get an overall picture of the paint thickness. Hopefully, the paint is 4 mils. or >.
Old 10-14-2018, 07:13 PM
neonshadow
Track Day

Originally Posted by mffarrell
There may be some deduction for paint work. Example, if you just had the bumper resprayed, it would probably not effect the value. If you were to respray the hood fenders etc. you will take a hit and some may walk away from the deal. If you have a ppi make sure the shop does a paint thickness test of the whole car to see if there is additional damage, and to get an overall picture of the paint thickness. Hopefully, the paint is 4 mils. or >.
Just had a different car inspected at Auto Strasse in Costa Mesa. Robert took over 80 (!) paint readings. Found bumper, right fender and door painted. Said it was done well - max thickness was 16. But the dealer wouldn’t budge on the price, so that fell through for now.
Old 10-14-2018, 07:27 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Just had a different car inspected at Auto Strasse in Costa Mesa. Robert took over 80 (!) paint readings. Found bumper, right fender and door painted. Said it was done well - max thickness was 16. But the dealer wouldn’t budge on the price, so that fell through for now.
better to walk away from that one. Too many great cars are out there with no damage.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:10 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,437 Posts

A clutch at 28k miles tells me that a previous owner did not drive a stick well or liked doing burn outs.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:14 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by techweenie
Great example is the 996 Turbo that did not meet reserve on BAT recently. It had 997 Turbo wheels with yellow highlights and the bidders dinged it for $10K or so for a wheel swap that could have cost less than $2K.
​​​​​​
In my view when people ding cars with goofy wheels (and 997 turbo are not even that bad) it's not so much for the cost of the swap (even though trading Porsche rims can be a pain in my experience), but more because of a reasoning like "if that guy had such bad taste in wheels, who knows what other stupid crap he's done to the car". It may be stupid but that's how I feel, too, when I see cheesy mods even though the may be easily reversible.
Old 10-14-2018, 11:18 PM
racer959
Rennlist Member

Received 307 Likes on 154 Posts

The car sounds pretty rough. I would say low 40's or pass on it.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:07 AM
s65e90
Drifting

Received 724 Likes on 502 Posts

Most cars will have painted panels by now, they're almost 20 years old.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:48 AM
neonshadow
Track Day

Well, the dealer seems to have found an old thread about build numbers where someone reversed the coupe/can build numbers and decided that the X50 is worth 70k...

SoCal dealer world is like an alternate universe.

EDIT: This is the car (photos don't show the condition well - most scratched areas not shown and paint is hard to see. Engine shows signs of shaving plastic pieces, so guessing means it was modded.
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ngId=497711931

Last edited by neonshadow; 10-17-2018 at 12:53 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:43 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by racer959
The car sounds pretty rough. I would say low 40's or pass on it.
+1.

BTW, mileage listed at 37,400, then under 36k in ad writeup, which is puzzling. But also it's not 40k miles.
The ad writeup has some errors - those red calipers mean it's not the same as an '05 Turbo S. Additionally, the description of the condition doesn't match your description (fwiw, I'd bet your description is a lot closer to reality than the seller's).

Quick Reply: Need a sanity check on Turbo values