Sponsored by:

Need a sanity check on Turbo values

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 02:29 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Received 159 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by techweenie
I'd treat the beat up interior as a 'yellow flag' though, and want to see maintenance records, and of course an overrev report.
overrev reports are worthless on 996, you have range 1 and range 2, and range 2s can be hit by revving the car in neutral or running through the gears and shifting fast at redline in a completely stock car. It's nothing like the newer cars that have range 1 through range 6 or more that tell you a precise range for how high the RPM was.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:52 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by T10Chris
...range 2s can be hit by...shifting fast at redline in a completely stock car.
I don't think that is possible.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:15 PM
neonshadow
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GWIT996F
+1.

BTW, mileage listed at 37,400, then under 36k in ad writeup, which is puzzling. But also it's not 40k miles.
The ad writeup has some errors - those red calipers mean it's not the same as an '05 Turbo S. Additionally, the description of the condition doesn't match your description (fwiw, I'd bet your description is a lot closer to reality than the seller's).
yeah I definitely rounded up as I was on the phone and in a hurry posting while at the dealer.

when I drove it, it was 37k and some change, not 36k.

like many said on this thread, interior stuff can be taken care of, just the question of what it says about how the car was treated. The search goes on!
Old 10-17-2018, 03:44 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Dock
I don't think that is possible.
I know it is. I tested it a while back when my car was stock, and others have also reported similar behavior. Especially in lower gears. Run to redline in 1st gear and shift quickly into 2nd like you're trying for your best 0-60 run and it will register range 2 on occasion. The clutch cant stop the inertia of the rotating assembly and rev limit isn't a hard stop at a set rpm. Rev limit not being a hard stop is the same reason why it will range 2 if revving it at a stop, it bounces if you are crazy enough to rev it to rev limiter and the ignition cut can't stop it before it incidentally has a range 2 ignition go through.. Granted, I consider revving in neutral to rev limit to be abuse, but accelerating hard and shifting fast, the car was made for it.

Some people have even reported having more range 2 revs than range 1 which is also theoretically impossible since you cant register a 2 without going through 1.

My point was that the overrev system on these cars is extremely primitive and often inaccurate, and even something incidental can show up as range 2 and there is no way to tell if it was 1 rpm over or 1000 rpm over.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:54 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

neonshadow- apologies for the brief thread derailment, best of luck in your search. Do your due diligence and you will end up with a great car
Old 10-17-2018, 04:11 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I know it is. I tested it a while back when my car was stock, and others have also reported similar behavior. Especially in lower gears. Run to redline in 1st gear and shift quickly into 2nd like you're trying for your best 0-60 run and it will register range 2 on occasion.
The soft cutout is at 6750 rpm, and range 2 is triggered at 7250 rpm. That would be a 500 rpm overshoot while in the soft cutout. Additionally, if a normal shift at red line was accomplished, the driver would be manually reducing the throttle input as the clutch was being depressed. This along with the soft cutout would make it very difficult to continue another 500 rpm beyond red line. If the driver power shifted (throttle on the floor) and the soft limiter was not functioning correctly allowing the rpm to reach (exceed?) 7250, then I'd opine that this rev 2 event would be relevant as it could indicate abuse.
Old 10-17-2018, 04:13 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

...even something incidental can show up as range 2 and there is no way to tell if it was 1 rpm over or 1000 rpm over.
I care about the 1 rpm over.

And certainly people should be concerned that rpm might have reached 7500, where according to Kevin you get into valve float issues.
Old 10-17-2018, 04:38 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

The soft cutout is at 6750 rpm, and range 2 is triggered at 7250 rpm. That would be a 500 rpm overshoot while in the soft cutout. Additionally, if a normal shift at red line was accomplished, the driver would be manually reducing the throttle input as the clutch was being depressed. This along with the soft cutout would make it very difficult to continue another 500 rpm beyond red line. If the driver power shifted (throttle on the floor) and the soft limiter was not functioning correctly allowing the rpm to reach (exceed?) 7250, then I'd opine that this rev 2 event would be relevant as it could indicate abuse.
My car has a raised rev limit with my tune so I shift around 7000 with a rev limit of 7200, but I have found a datalog when accelerating in 1st gear indicating throttle was let out for the shift at 7050 RPM and the revs continued to climb to 7612 in .214 seconds- slightly faster than the average eye blink.. . Even when the throttle is let out there is still momentum in the rotating assembly and when load is taken off of the car with the clutch being depressed, there is less load from the drivetrain on the assembly to stop it from spinning higher. It's physics.

Also, consider this attached readout- more range 2s than range 1s. Should be impossible, but again- these cars can register phantom range 2 revs.

I care about the 1 rpm over.

And certainly people should be concerned that rpm might have reached 7500, where according to Kevin you get into valve float issues.
According to what you are saying here, the valvetrain is good to 7500 RPM- indicating the arbitrary 7250 RPM as abuse is irrelevant anyway.

I don't want to derail this thread anymore, so if you want to continue the discussion I'd be happy to do so in another thread. Otherwise, have a good afternoon
Old 10-17-2018, 04:52 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

According to what you are saying here, the valvetrain is good to 7500 RPM- indicating the arbitrary 7250 RPM as abuse is irrelevant anyway.
The valve issue starts at 7500. Why get near that?

Even when the throttle is let out there is still momentum in the rotating assembly and when load is taken off of the car with the clutch being depressed, there is less load from the drivetrain on the assembly to stop it from spinning higher.
In a properly coordinated throttle/clutch shift probably no more than 500 rpm. Hence the soft cutout-to-type 2 architecture.

I don't want to derail this thread anymore, so if you want to continue the discussion I'd be happy to do so in another thread.
Then pick a thread or start a thread.
Old 10-17-2018, 05:21 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The valve issue starts at 7500.
Correction: I just found a post where Kevin states it is 7400 rpm depending on boost level.

Quick Reply: Need a sanity check on Turbo values