Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Widowmaker Project - Building a GT2 Clone

Old 01-11-2019, 04:31 PM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst

Thanks, I have a set on my 2004 WRX STi, and the 'Rocco was a MK1 - 2.0l Huron head, Schrick cam, Bilstein BTS kit, etc etc etc... good times, as I recall...
Old 01-11-2019, 06:22 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

You guys have good taste. I have their cousin for my other car, as well.

Old 01-11-2019, 06:26 PM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by manimal
You guys have good taste. I have their cousin for my other car, as well.

Old 01-13-2019, 08:28 PM
Mtrboatvr6
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Looks awesome. Another VW guy here as well! I still have my MKIV GTI VR6 with a fully built 3.0 L. I actually have a Schimmel Intake sitting in my closet brand new since 2008. I was going to turbo my VR6, but ended up saving and buying my 996 Turbo instead. Sorry if I missed it but are you turboing the corrado, or NA? What do you think of the intake? I was thinking about doing a small project and just installing it in my N/A motor. Schimmel says it will make some power. Great garage!
Old 01-14-2019, 11:34 AM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mtrboatvr6
Looks awesome. Another VW guy here as well! I still have my MKIV GTI VR6 with a fully built 3.0 L. I actually have a Schimmel Intake sitting in my closet brand new since 2008. I was going to turbo my VR6, but ended up saving and buying my 996 Turbo instead. Sorry if I missed it but are you turboing the corrado, or NA? What do you think of the intake? I was thinking about doing a small project and just installing it in my N/A motor. Schimmel says it will make some power. Great garage!

Nice!!! To put the Schimmel SRI on a Mk4 it takes a bit more work due to the throttle body being really close to the fan/battery from what I remember building a supercharger setup for a friend on his. Going N/A on the Corrado for now, I found the SRI and cams are the real way to make big N/A power if you have standalone to really dial it in. Just putting the SRI on a 12v with a chip picks up ~20hp! Originally built the motor for 700hp, but with having the 996/997 to solve the speed bugs a nice N/A light car was the direction that it is headed for now.

A TT downpipe with the SRI are the way to go, what cams are you running on the 3.0?
Old 01-14-2019, 02:18 PM
Mtrboatvr6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheDeckMan

Nice!!! To put the Schimmel SRI on a Mk4 it takes a bit more work due to the throttle body being really close to the fan/battery from what I remember building a supercharger setup for a friend on his. Going N/A on the Corrado for now, I found the SRI and cams are the real way to make big N/A power if you have standalone to really dial it in. Just putting the SRI on a 12v with a chip picks up ~20hp! Originally built the motor for 700hp, but with having the 996/997 to solve the speed bugs a nice N/A light car was the direction that it is headed for now.

A TT downpipe with the SRI are the way to go, what cams are you running on the 3.0?
Currently running 268 Schrick cams. Yeah I remember there being some interference with the fan shroud. Interested to hear if you have any more advise!
Old 01-14-2019, 02:35 PM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Currently running 268 Schrick cams. Yeah I remember there being some interference with the fan shroud. Interested to hear if you have any more advise!
268's are the way to go, that is what I am currently running in this motor with an S2 MetalWerks header.

I'll see if I can dig up some pictures of the setup on my buddies Mk4 for you
Old 01-14-2019, 02:52 PM
Mtrboatvr6
Rennlist Member

268's are the way to go, that is what I am currently running in this motor with an S2 MetalWerks header.

I'll see if I can dig up some pictures of the setup on my buddies Mk4 for you
Fantastic! Much appreciated! Yeah I really enjoy the car. Its not at all fast, but for what it is and the tech it had at the time its really fun. The cams bring on power at 3k and pull all the way up. Quite fun in something that sounds that incredible. Im running a Peloquin LSD and RE71Rs so there is 0 possible chance of wheel spin haha
Old 01-14-2019, 03:55 PM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Fantastic! Much appreciated! Yeah I really enjoy the car. Its not at all fast, but for what it is and the tech it had at the time its really fun. The cams bring on power at 3k and pull all the way up. Quite fun in something that sounds that incredible. Im running a Peloquin LSD and RE71Rs so there is 0 possible chance of wheel spin haha
The raw sound of a VR6 is quite an experience, sort of why staying n/a with it. The manifold and 6" velocity stack put it up there with ITB VR6's, just listen to them sing! Running a old close ratio VWMS gear set that tops out at 140 with a Peloquin, back when it was supercharged the short ratio transmission always made up for being 100hp down vs all the VRT's. The car will just have door cards and a carpet in it to lighten it up as much as possible while staying with the steel body panels. Ideal target weight should be around 2400-2500lbs with 200-230whp depending on how wild I tune the standalone up for.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:05 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Received 594 Likes on 306 Posts

Wow, shame on me for not finding and commenting on this thread sooner.

I grew up with 3 VW Scirocco's myself...a 1977 MKI, a 1982 MK2, and finally a 1988 MK2 16V that I owned back in 1997 when I met my wife-to-be. I only graduated to my first Porsche in 2009 (996TT) but have been fortunate to add a 997.2 GT3 RS and just recently another 996TT. Much like you, doing a GT2 clone is absolutely what I'm pursuing too, and mine has the rear decklid/wing already and I have the GT2 roof skin already too. Kevin @ UMW is my tuner, so love to see the similarities between our styles. I absolutely want to buy a set of those Manthey Racing doors in time, they are on my 'dream list'.

So, kudos to you and thanks for all the great progress photos...I'll be watching with real enthusiasm from the side lines!
Old 01-20-2019, 11:48 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

The big debate I have been thinking about is if I want to ditch the A/C on the car. I never use it, but perhaps if I am caught on rainy days I would want it to keep the girlfriend happy.
I have the black A/C delete RS in Goshen... You don't want to do it! It is absolutely no fun to drive when the humidity levels is at 90% and you are sweating to death in July/August. Its like driving around in a wood stove.

Tons of freshly plated hardware.
Who do you use?
Old 01-21-2019, 12:36 PM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
Wow, shame on me for not finding and commenting on this thread sooner.

I grew up with 3 VW Scirocco's myself...a 1977 MKI, a 1982 MK2, and finally a 1988 MK2 16V that I owned back in 1997 when I met my wife-to-be. I only graduated to my first Porsche in 2009 (996TT) but have been fortunate to add a 997.2 GT3 RS and just recently another 996TT. Much like you, doing a GT2 clone is absolutely what I'm pursuing too, and mine has the rear decklid/wing already and I have the GT2 roof skin already too. Kevin @ UMW is my tuner, so love to see the similarities between our styles. I absolutely want to buy a set of those Manthey Racing doors in time, they are on my 'dream list'.

So, kudos to you and thanks for all the great progress photos...I'll be watching with real enthusiasm from the side lines!

The roof skin is on my wish list for further down the road to combine it with a final respray of the car. Should be interesting to see the different ways we go about our builds.

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
I have the black A/C delete RS in Goshen... You don't want to do it! It is absolutely no fun to drive when the humidity levels is at 90% and you are sweating to death in July/August. Its like driving around in a wood stove.

Who do you use?
Jason, I totally agree on the A/C, the few pounds while nice for saving is nice to have the cooling and dehumidifying capabilities if caught in the rain/heat. At this point I am planning on keeping the A/C. For the plating I used New England Chrome Plating in East Hartford. I think I have seen you a couple times on RT116 with the RS.

After some agony in the past with the push lock fittings, I finally broke down and ordered up a Koul Tool with doing the transmission cooler lines for the 996 and needing to do the lines on the Corrado oil cooler. The $300 that it ended up running was worth every penny as it made several hours of agony using hot water and silicon lube to seat the barbs, to taking less than 2 minutes to do 4 fittings!

Name:  3pAO286.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  701.4 KB
Name:  T54P5DL.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  700.5 KB
Name:  6qmduqv.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  805.2 KB
Name:  qHLHmNW.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  808.6 KB

Some holes to the lower grille to aid in cooling for the oil cooler and radiator.
Name:  XFmrQq8.jpg
Size:  967.6 KB

Lightening up the front cross member that weighs a ton. Now it can go out to powder coating while waiting on the new thermostat housing and aluminum coolant pipe to show up, then the front end can go back together.
Name:  HcKp3hl.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  1.30 MB
Name:  tBA2d6b.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  1.02 MB
Name:  sHRKXZM.jpg
Size:  930.6 KB

Old 02-06-2019, 05:41 PM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Like all good things, it takes time to get the right parts...some times even more time to get the other parts to use the right parts! In this case it was the long wait on the oil pan ordered up in December for the Corrado, of course while ordering one pan, I figured it would be a good time to pick one up for the Track TT. To my delight they showed up Friday, now time to put the Corrado pan on and continue the forward progress or so I thought.

Name:  UiNN0YB.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  935.7 KB

Name:  RK3Il0D.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  813.7 KB

Out with the old pan and time for the new
Name:  MfsTP3z.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  1.05 MB

Checking out the ARP goodness on the bottom end of the motor with her skirt off
Name:  K5IV36d.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  1.12 MB

Then things began to not go well. The pan did not seem to fit, after a couple tries to see what was causing the pan to not want to seat against the block, my memory was jogged that these pans were shorter....Yep 4.5" vs 5" so the pickup was hitting the pan. Turns out that a MK5 R32 pump and pickup is needed in order to run the pan.
Name:  CEJT6Di.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  750.4 KB

So the last up was to put the freshly powder coated rebar back onto the Corrado.
Name:  ub3iPVo.jpg
Size:  1.11 MB
Name:  7XMYWTb.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  1.38 MB

Stalled out with the Corrado, I ordered up a new oil pump VW part number 022115105E. So I turned my attention to the 9-3SS rehab project, with it tying up the lift and wanting to get it rolling so the doors/interior could be swapped it was time to tackle the control arms and fix the oil sender leak.

A quick battle with the control arms to replace them was the easy task. Then turning attention to the oil level sender did I discover to reseal it you normally drop the oil pan...With my oil pan success being 0-1 so far, I discovered using some safety wire I could push the sensor into the pan after draining the oil then reseal and pull it back into its position without dropping the pan. Also putting a piece of metal on the other end of the safety wire ensured that the sensor could not slip into the pan completely with the safety wire.

Name:  TsHbYKd.jpg
Size:  942.9 KB
Name:  OpQCvPJ.jpg
Size:  879.4 KB
Name:  YMDKh6E.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  975.8 KB

With that sealed up, an oil change and new filter and she is ready to move finally. Hopefully on the road for spring.
Old 02-06-2019, 05:58 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,840 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Like all good things, it takes time to get the right parts...some times even more time to get the other parts to use the right parts! In this case it was the long wait on the oil pan ordered up in December for the Corrado, of course while ordering one pan, I figured it would be a good time to pick one up for the Track TT. To my delight they showed up Friday, now time to put the Corrado pan on and continue the forward progress or so I thought.

Out with the old pan and time for the new

Checking out the ARP goodness on the bottom end of the motor with her skirt off

Then things began to not go well. The pan did not seem to fit, after a couple tries to see what was causing the pan to not want to seat against the block, my memory was jogged that these pans were shorter....Yep 4.5" vs 5" so the pickup was hitting the pan. Turns out that a MK5 R32 pump and pickup is needed in order to run the pan.

So the last up was to put the freshly powder coated rebar back onto the Corrado.

Stalled out with the Corrado, I ordered up a new oil pump VW part number 022115105E. So I turned my attention to the 9-3SS rehab project, with it tying up the lift and wanting to get it rolling so the doors/interior could be swapped it was time to tackle the control arms and fix the oil sender leak.

A quick battle with the control arms to replace them was the easy task. Then turning attention to the oil level sender did I discover to reseal it you normally drop the oil pan...With my oil pan success being 0-1 so far, I discovered using some safety wire I could push the sensor into the pan after draining the oil then reseal and pull it back into its position without dropping the pan. Also putting a piece of metal on the other end of the safety wire ensured that the sensor could not slip into the pan completely with the safety wire.

With that sealed up, an oil change and new filter and she is ready to move finally. Hopefully on the road for spring.
Beautifully made... nice to see a Corrado get as much love as a TT.

Old 05-30-2019, 05:02 PM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Finally got a chance to pull her out for a drive, forgot how much fun the 996 is to toss about. Winter was way too long!
Name:  trMgvEn.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  1.44 MB

Got a chance to do some cruising with a friend with his 996 Aero.
Name:  gsCRlvJ.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  1.27 MB

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Widowmaker Project - Building a GT2 Clone