Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What can I really expect if I get a 2004 Turbo Cab?

Old 09-18-2018, 04:58 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,431 Posts

Originally Posted by techweenie
....Carving Mulholland after sundown when it's 79 in LA and the jasmine is in the air... sublime.
Been there, done that and felt that way. I still can't figure out why I moved from LA.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:34 PM
996TTNC
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to expect with a 996TT cab

OP, I bought my first 911 6 months ago. An ‘00 911 cab. Loved it. Handles like crazy! Great car. Then I read about the TT on these forums and decided to buy a TT cab. Sold my c2 to a friend. Bought an ‘04 996TT cab with 29k miles, one owner, stock.

They are different cars. Beyond price and the turbo. Test drive a 996 cab in the twisties. You’ll love it. Then test drive the 996tt cab in the twisties. You’ll be impressed with the power! The turbo is a blast.

As stock, the c2, imho actually handles better than the stock TT. The awd is a different feel. And the 996tt stock handles oddly. Not badly, just kinda weird. I invested in some mods that made a HUGE difference. It’s fast and handles amazingly. But still, it’s a different feel than a c2.

If you (like me) are a power junky, buy the TT. If handling is the only thing you want, get a c2, you’ll save about $30,000 and have a great car. If you want fantastic power AND handling you’ll want to do mods to the TT. Again, imho, it needs the mods to take it from a great car to a magnificent car. I’m loving mine with the mods.

As to a cab vs coupe, two different camps. I’m a cab guy. If you are one, you know it. I’m sure the coupes are great. For me, the 996TT cab is the perfect car. As to the stability of a 996TT cab, the one I own is pretty darned rock solid. I don’t feel any flex or anything like it, again very solid.

Obviously the condition, mechanical inspection (ppi), and the maintenance records are important. If all checks out, they’re great cars. Do more research on these forums to learn about the common issues that are possible or likely about this car (and as to all cars, not just the 996tt) so you’ll have your eyes open.

I’m very happy with mine and plan to keep it forever and drive the wheels off it!
Old 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Flat6Music
Pro

Received 230 Likes on 122 Posts

I have a 996 C2 cab and a turbo coupe. They're both 6spd manual cars. If you're going to find yourself in stop-and-go traffic often, the Tip isn't a bad choice at all. And I know it's subjective, but I think that color combo is great looking. If you're in the desert in the summer, you'd cook in black seats with the top down. But closer to the coast and if you're in motion, they're probably fine.

As for maintenance costs, my experience has been the same on both cars. No mechanical failures, just fluid changes and consumables like tires, brakes, etc. But be aware that the modification bug most definitely bites harder among turbo owners. It just does.

I can't give a fair comparison in driving experience, because my cab is stock and my coupe has suspension and engine modifications. I enjoy driving both of them, especially in the twisties. But the power difference, it's really a substantial difference. The turbo car is... intoxicating.

If that car checks out okay and you decide to buy it, you will undoubtedly be very happy with your purchase every time you look at it, as well as every time you drive it.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:41 AM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6Music
I have a 996 C2 cab and a turbo coupe. They're both 6spd manual cars. If you're going to find yourself in stop-and-go traffic often, the Tip isn't a bad choice at all. And I know it's subjective, but I think that color combo is great looking. If you're in the desert in the summer, you'd cook in black seats with the top down. But closer to the coast and if you're in motion, they're probably fine.

As for maintenance costs, my experience has been the same on both cars. No mechanical failures, just fluid changes and consumables like tires, brakes, etc. But be aware that the modification bug most definitely bites harder among turbo owners. It just does.

I can't give a fair comparison in driving experience, because my cab is stock and my coupe has suspension and engine modifications. I enjoy driving both of them, especially in the twisties. But the power difference, it's really a substantial difference. The turbo car is... intoxicating.

If that car checks out okay and you decide to buy it, you will undoubtedly be very happy with your purchase every time you look at it, as well as every time you drive it.
Thanks. Recently had a 997 C2 Cab so this is all good information. RJ
Old 09-22-2018, 01:18 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

Envy, jealousy, kids with fart cans exhaust systems challenging you at stop lights.

Tremendous satisfaction on twisty roads. Great GT car on trips. Giggles when you floor it.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:48 PM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fpb111
Envy, jealousy, kids with fart cans exhaust systems challenging you at stop lights.

Tremendous satisfaction on twisty roads. Great GT car on trips. Giggles when you floor it.
Good one! Thanks.

Old 09-26-2018, 06:42 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,840 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Tickets, if not careful...
Old 09-26-2018, 07:57 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Not knocking the car, but thought the price was a little low. After looking at it I realized it was an automatic, hence the reason for the lower price. Nothing wrong with that.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:00 PM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
Not knocking the car, but thought the price was a little low. After looking at it I realized it was an automatic, hence the reason for the lower price. Nothing wrong with that.
Decided to pass on the car. But am having this one below checked out in Northern California by a friend this week. 2008 and looks sharp.

https://www.gtautolounge.com/vehicle...a296d8c80438b0
Old 09-27-2018, 10:40 AM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal RJ
Decided to pass on the car. But am having this one below checked out in Northern California by a friend this week. 2008 and looks sharp.

Nice ride, make sure you get a PPI done! Hope it works out!
Old 09-27-2018, 11:47 AM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal RJ

Wow, super nice Cab....$60K asking price for a clean 997.1 Turbo Tip is A LOT of CAR! Definitely worth $10K more than a similar condition/ mileage 996.

Good luck with the process.
Old 09-27-2018, 12:42 PM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd

Nice ride, make sure you get a PPI done! Hope it works ou
Thanks. Already have a good shop lined up if it passes the initial look by a fellow Rennlister.
Old 09-27-2018, 12:48 PM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Road King
Wow, super nice Cab....$60K asking price for a clean 997.1 Turbo Tip is A LOT of CAR! Definitely worth $10K more than a similar condition/ mileage 996.

Good luck with the process.
Thanks. It looks like a pretty good deal. I think it may be a consignment car and dealer looks top shelf. Will know more soon after it is looked at in a few days. I have a copy of all the recent service they did and it had the coolant pipes replaced last year. PPI lined up if it passes the first going over.
Old 09-27-2018, 05:56 PM
my04996tt
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Very nice.. Agree if all checks out, it's a very good deal. Almost seems to good.. v
Old 09-27-2018, 09:46 PM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by my04996tt
Very nice.. Agree if all checks out, it's a very good deal. Almost seems to good.. v
Yes, it looks like a good deal, but right at Blue Book and NADA. I know that doesn't always translate to the Porsche world so we will say what the inspection and possible PPI says. May be on consignment from someone who wants to get it sold.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What can I really expect if I get a 2004 Turbo Cab?