Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0327 Knock sesnsor code 1 help please !

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 12:20 PM
Lordbizness
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0327 Knock sesnsor code 1 help please !

Hey Guys, hopefully can give you the cliff note version of this:

Just need some help tracking this problem down.

So I bought a 996 turbo 2 month ago, Had 2 PPI's done, everything came clear bill of health engine wise etc. One PPI did find a "rats nest" in the engine bay but they assured me it was no where near any wires or anything.

The previous owner had a Cobb tuner on the car. When I bought the car, the car was reflashed back to stock ECU do to being out of state, gas etc for delivery. All the maintance of plugs, coils packs etc was changed out 20k miles ago or so. The car drives like a dream with no issues at all, up to the past month or so. the car originally had a EVOMS Filter kit and a Cheapy X pipe exhaust.

I recently installed a IPE exhaust with high flow cats, turned it to stage 2 ACN. This is where things started coming up. Before this, the car had No engine codes that came up or on the cobb tuner previous to stage 2 tuning. Now the car is coming up with 3 engine codes a P0327, P0300 (cat conversion), and PO400 (cat conversion). The PO300 and 400 code I understand is for emissions and can bypass that with cobb tuner. The PO327 knock sensor code is coming out of nowhere now. SO, my friend let me borrow his Gemballa exhaust to see if its the IPE causing the codes, so yesterday I swapped out the IPE Exhaust installed the Gemballa, cleared the codes, reset ecu etc. Took it for a drive yesterday after about 10 miles or so in 1bar of boost, the Code P0327 pops up.

This morning I uninstalled the Cobb tuner, and reset the ECU back to stock to see if it was the cobb tuner causing the PO327 code. Worth a try, While driving to work, the car was fine, no problems, at about 10 mile mark the cobb tuner shows the P0327 knock sensor code again ! Even on stock ECU tune I did notice while getting on boost before that 10 mile mark there was a slight misfire, and thats what im thinking caused the code even on a stock tune.

Im baffled and dont know what to do anymore. Could bad Plugs, coil packs or anything else be causing the P0327 knock sensor code? Thanks for the help and always appreciated, thank you.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:21 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 304 Likes on 210 Posts

You might need to check the knock sensor electrical connection and or look at the wiring for MICE damage. It happens more than we wish!
Old 08-21-2018, 01:10 AM
Lordbizness
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Kevin for the response, the car is at the PPi shop where it was inspected earlier. The foreman assured me the rats nest was no where near the wires but who knows. Heheh. He’s thinking it might be plugs triggering the knock sensor so there going to pull them and check them and make sure no cyclinder is running lean, and figure from there. Hopefully it’s a easy fix ( crosses fingers)
Old 08-21-2018, 04:00 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 304 Likes on 210 Posts

The mice don't stay in the nest. They crawl all over the engine and eat the harness. Check the above thread, the Rennlister has his engine dropped due to a chewed up harness.
Knock sensor failure CEL's don't appear unless you have a sensor or lack of a voltage reading.
Here is the documentation from the Porsche DME manual
P0327
210 Knock sensor 1 - below limit
Diagnosis conditions
• Engine speed more than 3600 rpm
• Engine load greater than 45 %
Possible fault cause
♦ Break in wiring or short to ground
♦ Contact corrosion on the connector
♦ Knock sensor loose
♦ Short circuit to B+
♦ Knock sensor
♦ When a fault is stored, the ignition angle is retarded for all cylinders
in the range in which knock control is active.
♦ Knock control adaptation is inactive.
♦ If knock control becomes active here, this may indicate engine
damage (increased noise level)
Affected terminals
Terminal III/49 and III/50
Diagnosis/troubleshooting

Quick Reply: P0327 Knock sesnsor code 1 help please !