Back in a 996 Turbo after almost 10 years

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 11:49 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by THP23
The new cars really don't do it for me...you really do miss out on the driving with all the electronic aids and what not.
I agree.

I know I'm in the minority in the Porsche realm/world but I actually prefer the exterior looks AND interior of the 996 to the 997 (flame suit, engaged haha).
You may not be in the minority here on the 996 Turbo forum. Certainly the two of us are of like mind regarding our opinion of the interior and exterior of the 996 Turbo.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:27 AM
solow
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks guys for all the congrats and the warm welcome.

i will as coils to the order Jason, does everyone recommend the updated coils with the longer bolts?

Cmd4 - Yes, the car is from NC. Do you have any other info on the car? Would love to hear via pm if you have something to share.

The car has about 85k miles on it and is completely stock to my knowledge. I do plan on upgrading the wheels and suspension but plan to drive in its stock form for at least a little while. As for moving from a 987 to a 996 turbo, the cayman was one of the most fun cars I’ve owned. It has incredible handles and has just enough power to keep you satisfied. It was also deceptively versatile as I can pack a whole week of groceries plus a few cases of beer with ease with it. I was definitely happy with it but something about the 996 kept calling to me. I think what really tipped the scales in the 996 favor was reading about the half a million mile 996tt on PCA and 6spd. It’s really a testament to just how well these engines were built and how reliable they were. I also felt the cayman was a depreciating asset whereas buying a nice sorted 996 turbo you are very unlikely to lose any money due to the high demand and rarity. Just my opinion though. Hopefully I can get her by this weekend and post some better pics.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:17 PM
my04996tt
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Enjoy the new power.
Yes, go with the newer coils (if you diy, it's alot easier to remove the coils first and then pull the wire off the spark plug). For other easy mods, would suggest getting a 997 shifter, Cobb, and a nice exhaust system.
Agree, the 987's were perfectly balanced and rewarding cars to drive, had 2 boxster s's, still miss them. The depreciation wasn't pretty.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:33 PM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Also a vote here for Cobb tuner and an exhaust (mine is Kline) and a short shifter (numeric)

All things that weren't around your last go and have transformed my car.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:35 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I vote that he gets a UMW tune...
Old 08-14-2018, 10:37 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jason952
All things that weren't around your last go and have transformed my car.
There were tunes and short shifters available 10 years ago.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:11 AM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

I mean those particular companies. And the access port has added to my car experience, I wish Kevin's tune would work with that display.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:59 PM
Evolution
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 50 Posts

Congrats on the Purchase! Slate is a great color!

I was just having this discussion with a fellow car buddy of mine on the new cars vs "old" or older cars. The new cars really don't do it for me and I'm a fairly young guy at 31. Sure they are blistering fast (no doubt here) but you really do miss out on the driving with all the electronic aids and what not. Even if they are faster (and a 996TT is no slouch by any means), they just aren't as fun. Also, I know I'm in the minority in the Porsche realm/world but I actually prefer the exterior looks AND interior of the 996 to the 997 (flame suit, engaged haha)

Again, congrats on the new ride. I'd still love to hear your thoughts on the 997 vs 996.
Originally Posted by Dock
I agree.

You may not be in the minority here on the 996 Turbo forum. Certainly the two of us are of like mind regarding our opinion of the interior and exterior of the 996 Turbo.
100% agree with both of you; it's also relevant to note that I'm 30, so that makes two young guys who have been thoughtful about and acted on these musings. Porsche philosophy has historically aligned with an austere, spartan Austrian-type design (obviously need to acknowledge the wild children of the 70's interior fabrics and exterior colors added some spice to the otherwise restrained credo, but that was a genuine exploration into being different is merely trying to be recaptured today). Efficient, pragmatic, functional, and elegant.

Nowadays, the divas and fashionistas are in an arms race to gratuitously over-spec their cars, but that experience is far from the brand's roots (although it sure as hell helps shareholder value). It turns me off and indicates a lack of true enthusiasm. But the 996 resonates with me because of everything it is not. It is visceral, connected, authentic, devoid of nearly every novelty and soon-to-be-outdated frill, and I think looks absolutely breathtaking with the right suspension set up (shout out to Ohlins - highly recommend!). With those supporting characteristics, my feeling is that the very nature of this untrendy design makes these cars timeless - despite how many people feel about them. They'll have their time, just like 550 Maranellos. I think the 996 Turbo will emerge as a highly desirable 911 in years to come.

Not that I care about demand, it's more liberating and enjoyable owning one without a second thought about miles (although I am completely obsessive about condition and maintenance). So, to the OP, congrats on getting back into the fold with one of the all time greats!

-Joe

Old 08-15-2018, 06:04 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Evolution
100% agree with both of you; it's also relevant to note that I'm 30, so that makes two young guys who have been thoughtful about and acted on these musings.
Another young guy, my 24 year old son, feels the same way.

Porsche philosophy has historically aligned with an austere, spartan Austrian-type design (obviously need to acknowledge the wild children of the 70's interior fabrics and exterior colors added some spice to the otherwise restrained credo, but that was a genuine exploration into being different is merely trying to be recaptured today). Efficient, pragmatic, functional, and elegant.

Nowadays, the divas and fashionistas are in an arms race to gratuitously over-spec their cars, but that experience is far from the brand's roots (although it sure as hell helps shareholder value). It turns me off and indicates a lack of true enthusiasm. But the 996 resonates with me because of everything it is not. It is visceral, connected, authentic, devoid of nearly every novelty and soon-to-be-outdated frill, and I think looks absolutely breathtaking with the right suspension set up (shout out to Ohlins - highly recommend!). With those supporting characteristics, my feeling is that the very nature of this untrendy design makes these cars timeless - despite how many people feel about them. They'll have their time, just like 550 Maranellos. I think the 996 Turbo will emerge as a highly desirable 911 in years to come.
Very well stated. I agree 100%.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:34 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by solow
Thanks guys for all the congrats and the warm welcome.

does everyone recommend the updated coils with the longer bolts?

the 997 coils superseded the 996 oem's years ago. enjoy the car and that you had the presence of mind, not to have gone with the cayman.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:23 AM
SeabrookPorsche
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes change the coils with the longer bolts while your in there.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:07 AM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

100% agree with both of you; it's also relevant to note that I'm 30, so that makes two young guys who have been thoughtful about and acted on these musings. Porsche philosophy has historically aligned with an austere, spartan Austrian-type design (obviously need to acknowledge the wild children of the 70's interior fabrics and exterior colors added some spice to the otherwise restrained credo, but that was a genuine exploration into being different is merely trying to be recaptured today). Efficient, pragmatic, functional, and elegant.

Not that I care about demand, it's more liberating and enjoyable owning one without a second thought about miles (although I am completely obsessive about condition and maintenance). So, to the OP, congrats on getting back into the fold with one of the all time greats!

-Joe
Nicely written. Tend to agree.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:10 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,432 Posts

How can anyone call that ugly? Look at the design, the integration of the components, it is gorgeous.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:52 AM
nelsontod
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
I vote that he gets a UMW tune...
+1 all day.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:53 AM
nelsontod
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
How can anyone call that ugly? Look at the design, the integration of the components, it is gorgeous.

just reminds me i want new headlights.

Quick Reply: Back in a 996 Turbo after almost 10 years