Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on a Daily Driver?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 02:13 AM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

I’ve had Cayennes and 911s as daily drivers for 15+ years...with a few brief flips of old MBs wagons and Land Cruisers in between. Nowadays, I’m enjoying the 996TT for regular street use. It’s nice to have a car that has minimal, if not zero, depreciation even just seating in the garage. I certainly prefer the more satisfying drives in 911s than any SUV. Life is too short to drive cars that don’t deliver a great enjoyable drive.

If I needed 4 doors again, I may revisit a Cayenne but a Panamera Sports Turismo is significantly more interesting to me. A restomod Land Cruiser done by Jonathan Ward would also be in my short list.
Old 08-03-2018, 02:23 AM
sgtpeper
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mclaudio - Now you're talking. I love restomod ideas. I've had a weird fantasy of getting a restored Grand Wagonner for a daily but, since it is a daily driver, worry I'll end up missing the modern tech.
Old 08-03-2018, 03:02 AM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sgtpeper
mclaudio - Now you're talking. I love restomod ideas. I've had a weird fantasy of getting a restored Grand Wagonner for a daily but, since it is a daily driver, worry I'll end up missing the modern tech.
I can understand your concern with a restored Grand Wagoneer. I was concerned going back to a 996TT from newer Cayennes. What sealed the deal besides the drive was a self-realization that I felt relieved seeing a dash without a screen/monitor. Hence, my interest in top-notch restomod FJ80 TLCs which ends up priced more than new Cayennes. With a proper stage 3 restomod (completely built from bare sheetmetal), performance (modern engine and suspension) and comfort bits get the vehicle back to modern relevance and yet stay simple enough to not have electronics/gadgety features be obsolete after 12 months or so. I have my regularly upgraded iPhone for the more leading edge features.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:04 AM
cmd4
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW our winter beater is a 97 40th 80. My wife and I both are still amazed at the level of comfort and features it packs for a 20 year old vehicle. It's a tank but a 4.7 swap would make it a great DD.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:31 AM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cmd4
FWIW our winter beater is a 97 40th 80. My wife and I both are still amazed at the level of comfort and features it packs for a 20 year old vehicle. It's a tank but a 4.7 swap would make it a great DD.

Nice. We had a 97 back in the day and agree with you on a v8 swap. In our family, we currently have a pristine 90s JDM-spec BJ80 diesel with <60K miles. All stock except for a turbo timer and more modern dampers. Ride and solid feel are still amazing for its age (though I can say the same thing for G-series 911s and 964s). Other than missing nav/stereo, more engine noise and spartan interior relative to today’s new vehicles are the biggest difference in driving experience. I think this can be addressed with restomod - leather, noise insulation, modern but well-integrated sound system. Based on asking prices, good ones seem sought after.

To OP, consider the restomod route. Fulfill your Grand Wagoneer fantasy and distinguish your ride from the myriad of SUVs out there.
Old 08-04-2018, 06:23 PM
coffeehead
Instructor

Just got a '14 Cayenne S (great motor!) with ~20k miles for half the price of new with an extended warranty. Great dd.
Old 08-05-2018, 03:13 AM
sgtpeper
Racer

Why specifically a 2014?
Old 08-06-2018, 06:54 AM
nelsontod
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Picked this up friday

Old 08-06-2018, 02:05 PM
Evolution
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 50 Posts

I just bought a G500. I'm reverting as a result of my intense preference for mechanical engineering to tech in my cars. The G is flawless for my needs. Over engineered, overbuilt, and overly robust yet austere and analog; as solid as Geländewagen-lore and mythology have evoked.

Retrofitted with carplay, bluetooth, and rear camera to make navigating, music, and phone calls easier, but that's it. Been daily driving and couldn't be happier. Filling in with early AM blasts to the gym and weekend cruises with abandon in the Turbo, but must say both of these cars are quite analogous in their respective niches and are extremely complimentary in their purposes.

If you think about it, the G's iconic design, purposeful ethos, and continuous (but preserved) evolution (now you can probably figure out the genesis of my username) over the last 40 years is parallel to the 911. Those philosophies make them timeless in my mind, and it really makes sense that I'm attracted to them. Also explains the lack of interest in modern tech and that I look at new 911's, new Ferrari, and new G Wagens with zero interest.

Something to think about!

-Joe
Old 08-06-2018, 02:33 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Evolution
I'm reverting as a result of my intense preference for mechanical engineering to tech in my cars...explains the lack of interest in modern tech and that I look at new 911's, new Ferrari, and new G Wagens with zero interest.
We are of like mind on this.
Old 08-06-2018, 04:02 PM
s65e90
Drifting

Received 722 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by Evolution

I just bought a G500. I'm reverting as a result of my intense preference for mechanical engineering to tech in my cars. The G is flawless for my needs. Over engineered, overbuilt, and overly robust yet austere and analog; as solid as Geländewagen-lore and mythology have evoked.

Retrofitted with carplay, bluetooth, and rear camera to make navigating, music, and phone calls easier, but that's it. Been daily driving and couldn't be happier. Filling in with early AM blasts to the gym and weekend cruises with abandon in the Turbo, but must say both of these cars are quite analogous in their respective niches and are extremely complimentary in their purposes.

If you think about it, the G's iconic design, purposeful ethos, and continuous (but preserved) evolution (now you can probably figure out the genesis of my username) over the last 40 years is parallel to the 911. Those philosophies make them timeless in my mind, and it really makes sense that I'm attracted to them. Also explains the lack of interest in modern tech and that I look at new 911's, new Ferrari, and new G Wagens with zero interest.

Something to think about!

-Joe

I said the same thing.* I prefer limited tech that doesn't get outdated as my phone gets me everywhere I need to be.* However, I just traded my g55 for a new 2018 f250 Platinum and I LOVE the tech.* It's a welcome addition.**

Good luck w/ the G wagon.* I loved mine, but they have lots of issues. Rust being the biggest.* Even brand new ones seem to rust.* Bodies are built in Austria and shipped over to MB AG for assembly with limited (i.e. basically none) corrosion protection.**
Old 08-06-2018, 04:13 PM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Trending towards older tech. Restomod...Land Cruiser, Wagoneer, G-wagen.

Interesting correlation to our older 911s (my 996TT is actually my current regular street driver).
Old 08-06-2018, 04:55 PM
Evolution
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 50 Posts

Birds of a feather!
Old 08-07-2018, 01:31 AM
sgtpeper
Racer

Haven't found anyone who really does old jeeps the way I would want. Still thinking up unique ideas. Also realizing I don't need something crazy fast as my daily - since I have the Turbo for that.
Old 08-07-2018, 06:48 PM
cmd4
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about a nineties Defender 90? Shame no RS4 avant stateside

Quick Reply: Thoughts on a Daily Driver?