Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hey! All you garage queen owners, you still have to do maintenance on schedule!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 10:51 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 325 Posts
Default Hey! All you garage queen owners, you still have to do maintenance on schedule!

So I just bought my 996 Turbo last week, has 29k miles on it. Guy I bought it from owned it for 6 years and drove it ~550 miles a year. I'm taking it to the track this Saturday, so a brake fluid flush needed to happen. Car had Ate Super Blue in it of unknown vintage but could be easily 6+ years old.

Car in the air, Motive power bleeder hooked up and away I go. This car took a ton of fluid! 1.5 cans and I probably should've run 2 full cans through. 2 bleed screws were blocked by debris, luckily I was able to blow them out. Really skanky looking fluid.

So, even if you're not really driving the car, you still need to replace the fluids on schedule! Every 2 years for brake fluid! I'm going to have to do a coolant flush next, I'm sure that stuff is equally as old and nasty. Not looking forward to that job...

Old 07-18-2018, 01:35 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

Problem is, now you don't have the original brake fluid in the car. So, you just killed its value. We've had this discussion with regard to 15 year old tires - you replace them, and now you've "broken the factory seal" and it's not stock anymore.

(I'm only half joking BTW - that's actually been a topic of discussion and whether the old tires should be kept to pass along to the new owner if they are indeed replaced)
Old 07-18-2018, 01:36 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
So, even if you're not really driving the car, you still need to replace the fluids on schedule! Every 2 years for brake fluid! I'm going to have to do a coolant flush next, I'm sure that stuff is equally as old and nasty.
The coolant fluid may not be "nasty", and in Porsche's eyes, it's never "old" (as in old and worn out). Unlike the brake fluid change interval suggested by Porsche, the coolant fluid has no suggested change interval. Porsche opines specifically regarding oil, brake, and transmission fluid change intervals, but not on coolant fluid change intervals.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:58 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kcattorney
Problem is, now you don't have the original brake fluid in the car. So, you just killed its value. We've had this discussion with regard to 15 year old tires - you replace them, and now you've "broken the factory seal" and it's not stock anymore.

(I'm only half joking BTW - that's actually been a topic of discussion and whether the old tires should be kept to pass along to the new owner if they are indeed replaced)
ROFL! Keeping the original tires, hahaha!!! That's such a ridiculous thing to do. I'm gonna keep the original, worn out tires, right! I mean, I see that in the totally rare show cars but these cars were made in volume...
Old 07-18-2018, 02:00 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dock
The coolant fluid may not be "nasty", and in Porsche's eyes, it's never "old" (as in old and worn out). Unlike the brake fluid change interval suggested by Porsche, the coolant fluid has no suggested change interval. Porsche opines specifically regarding oil, brake, and transmission fluid change intervals, but not on coolant fluid change intervals.
BMW also says that the tranny fluid and diff fluid is "lifetime". More like the lifetime of the warranty coverage. Coolant isn't a lifetime fluid, I don't care that Porsche doesn't have a change interval on it, it needs to be changed every 2 years or so just like brake fluid...
Old 07-18-2018, 02:04 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,850 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Everything of mine that isn't set for long term storage (ie, all fluids drained), has every service done to it. If I don't drive it much, once a year the oil is changed, service as required.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:31 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

BMW also says that the tranny fluid and diff fluid is "lifetime".
But Porsche doesn't consider the transmission fluid to be "lifetime".

I don't care that Porsche doesn't have a change interval on it, it needs to be changed every 2 years or so just like brake fluid...
So why is it that Porsche's wisdom is accepted concerning the brake fluid change interval, and their wisdom concerning transmission and coolant fluid change intervals is not accepted?

You are obviously welcome to change fluids as often as you want to, but given that you believe the coolant needs to be changed every two years or so, what data are you using to arrive at that conclusion?
Old 07-18-2018, 03:13 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 403 Likes on 255 Posts

Nice job Docwyte. I built a similar device using a garden sprayer and hose. My hose is long enough that I can sit the sprayer next to me by the caliper. Fill the tubing with fluid to eliminate all the air, open the bleeder and squeeze the trigger. Just make sure there's enough fluid in the sprayer that no air gets introduced there. And always clamp the tubing ends; brake fluid and paint don't get along. If that hose comes off under pressure the fluid will fly everywhere.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:19 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by autobonrun
Nice job Docwyte. I built a similar device using a garden sprayer and hose. My hose is long enough that I can sit the sprayer next to me by the caliper. Fill the tubing with fluid to eliminate all the air, open the bleeder and squeeze the trigger. Just make sure there's enough fluid in the sprayer that no air gets introduced there. And always clamp the tubing ends; brake fluid and paint don't get along. If that hose comes off under pressure the fluid will fly everywhere.
So, Gerald, what I hear you saying is that "Hey, Jeff, let's use my equipment to bleed the brake fluid on your car." Good deal. We can discuss at breakfast Saturday!
Old 07-18-2018, 03:23 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 403 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by kcattorney
So, Gerald, what I hear you saying is that "Hey, Jeff, let's use my equipment to bleed the brake fluid on your car." Good deal. We can discuss at breakfast Saturday!
LOL.

Old 07-18-2018, 04:30 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dock
But Porsche doesn't consider the transmission fluid to be "lifetime".

So why is it that Porsche's wisdom is accepted concerning the brake fluid change interval, and their wisdom concerning transmission and coolant fluid change intervals is not accepted?

You are obviously welcome to change fluids as often as you want to, but given that you believe the coolant needs to be changed every two years or so, what data are you using to arrive at that conclusion?
30 years of owning and maintaining cars. Your opinion may vary, of course.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:55 PM
Third-Reef
Three Wheelin'

Received 160 Likes on 114 Posts

Brake fluid needs to be changed due to water absorption, totally time related, driven or not. Engine oil needs to be changed by miles (viscosity change) or time (moisture and
acid buil up). Engine oil changes on garage queens are especially important as they sit so long and possibly never really get to operating temp during most drives. Coolant can be tested to see if its ph is right, but just change it every 2 years or so. Trans and diff oil can go along time, but change it too so you can check for excess metal on the drain plug magnet.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:13 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

30 years of owning and maintaining cars.
That some hard data.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:32 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Third-Reef
Coolant can be tested to see if its ph is right, but just change it every 2 years or so.
I ask questions because while tradition and personal opinion carry weight for some individuals, I'm more interested in the science.

I'm sure there are hard data studies that have been done, and I could probably track them down. I'm just taking the easy way out by asking those who are locked into a two year (or who knows, even less) coolant fluid change if they have actual hard data that supports that position. My guess is that Porsche has an idea regarding coolant fluid life and that it is probably what they used as part of their "doesn't ever need changing" recommendation. I could be wrong, but that's my take as of July 18, 2018.

Here's my take on the 996 Turbo's coolant fluid (WARNING NOTICE: for those queasy about reading things that they may not agree with, stop here and read no further): My 996 Turbo is over sixteen years old and is approaching 50k mikes. The coolant is the original fill from Zuffenhausen. The fluid looks like it did the day I bought the car, and the water temperature still runs in the range it did the first year I owned the car. Based on these observations, and the fact that Porsche recommends no coolant fluid change interval, I think everything is fine.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:00 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,437 Posts

ROFL! Keeping the original tires, hahaha!!! That's such a ridiculous thing to do. I'm gonna keep the original, worn out tires, right! I mean, I see that in the totally rare show cars but these cars were made in volume...
I am not so sure "made in volume" is accurate. Unless you consider a Ferrari 360 to be made in volume. There are almost exactly the same number of 360s in the world as there are 996TTs.

Quick Reply: Hey! All you garage queen owners, you still have to do maintenance on schedule!