Sponsored by:

Disconnect PSM for track work?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 11:59 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
Do you have much 911 or 911 Turbo seat time?
Nope. I'm pretty confident my 20 years of track experience will keep me out of trouble tho
Old 07-15-2018, 12:07 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
Nope. I'm pretty confident my 20 years of track experience will keep me out of trouble tho
Experience is always good to have.

As I'm sure you know, the 911 has some handling characteristics that are different than front engine cars.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:44 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dock
Experience is always good to have.

As I'm sure you know, the 911 has some handling characteristics that are different than front engine cars.
Thanks, confident I'll manage tho
Old 07-15-2018, 05:35 PM
RennKit-Dave
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 169 Likes on 116 Posts

Here is a description for disconnecting the PSM based on prior info. https://rennkit.com/wp-content/uploa...PSM-Pump-1.pdf
http://rennkit.com/
  • Patented eRam Kit™ for 996/997 Turbo & Carrera GT wings
  • Cal*Cool™ - brake cooling 996/997 / Bluetooth Retrofit Kit™ for 1998-2011 cars / Wing Extenders™ 987 Cayman / 997 Turbo
  • AUTO-BLiP for MT / Function F1RST Shift ***** / Girodisc 2-piece rotors / OS Giken LSD / Phenix suspension / Zunsport grills / 997/987 switches/PCM ***** / Border Coilovers
Old 07-15-2018, 09:15 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Josh, Powdrhound is both local and the go-to-guy on setting up 996 Turbos for serious track work... His advice is pretty much always spot on.

As the threshold for unplugging PSM, I'd say when you get to the point that you are running track tires, dedicated track pads, aggressive alignment and as a driver pushing your car hard, that's probably the point when you want to consider unplugging PSM completely...

If your taking your stock'ish 996 Turbo out for it's first somewhat conservative lap sessions at HPR on high performance street tires, your likely good playing with laps with the PSM fully engaged and just pushing the button

And damn, there's no way I'm breaking 2:00 at HPR anytime soon!
Old 07-15-2018, 09:39 PM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

One of these days I need to trek out to High Plains. Would like to get some in person pointers from powder hound. But my road trip this year is going to be back to Hallett this fall.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:35 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pfbz
Josh, Powdrhound is both local and the go-to-guy on setting up 996 Turbos for serious track work... His advice is pretty much always spot on.

As the threshold for unplugging PSM, I'd say when you get to the point that you are running track tires, dedicated track pads, aggressive alignment and as a driver pushing your car hard, that's probably the point when you want to consider unplugging PSM completely...

If your taking your stock'ish 996 Turbo out for it's first somewhat conservative lap sessions at HPR on high performance street tires, your likely good playing with laps with the PSM fully engaged and just pushing the button

And damn, there's no way I'm breaking 2:00 at HPR anytime soon!
Well, I'll be running track tires (albeit Toyo R888's, not Hoosier's) and dedicated track pads. Haven't gone to a track alignment yet, but I will soon. The last part of your statement is the key, when I get comfortable with the car that I'm really pushing it is when I should probably consider unplugging the PSM.

I've never broken 2 minutes at HPR, think the fastest I've gone is a 2:05. I'm curious to see how I do with the 911 out of the box...
Old 07-16-2018, 01:35 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,721 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Josh. Here are some HPR laps in a 996 on NT01as from a few years ago. Might be a bit different coming from BMWs. Some lines may look a bit unorthodox as I typically run early to mid apex on the tight turns which results in the shortest distance around the track as opposed to the "by the book lines" that an instructor will typically teach. Based on data this results in the quickest times and helps protect the apex when racing. I haven't been out to HPR this year but I'm I'm sure you know they have repaved it over the winter and the track seems to be 2-3 seconds faster now based on the times that everyones is running out there this year. It's glass smooth from what I hear. I plan on coming out this September for the PCA Club race and in October for sure. Again, have fun out there this weekend, I'm jealous. We will all have to catch up soon...

Last edited by powdrhound; 07-16-2018 at 02:13 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:10 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Track is very smooth now, the bump at the apex of Turn 2 is gone. Pavement is very loud, tires "talk" quite a bit more now.

You do run an inside line for sure!
Old 07-16-2018, 02:12 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Just to add some more "novice" perspective: I have a bit of AutoX experience but no real track work.

At the AutoX, I didn't notice the intervention of PSM at all with stock alignment. As soon as I went to a more aggressive alignment with -1.5 F / -2.4 R (I'm on PSS10's), it wouldn't let me rotate like I wanted to, and the intervention was really obvious.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:51 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 116 Posts

I dropped a couple of seconds off my laptimes by turning off PSM via dash button last year and I dont think Im particularly fast.

I thought it wasn't holding me back much because it didn't often "feel" very intrusive, but looking at the data it was slowing me down almost every corner. Set up the corner right and there is no understeer in a stock suspension car with good tires (I ran NT01s) and stock spec alignment.

Ive completely removed the whole pump now and gone with a full track suspension setup with RWD conversion. Hopefully Im a little quicker when it's all back together. $lippery $lope and pwdrhound is your friendly local crack dealer

Quick Reply: Disconnect PSM for track work?