Sponsored by:

Seat Cover Question/Opinions - Dog

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 11:15 AM
tedfromohio
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Seat Cover Question/Opinions - Dog

Hi Everyone! Anyone have any recommendations on seat covers? I have a Good sized German Shepherd who goes with me most places in the truck and I hate to leave him behind when talking out the Porsche. Also hate the thought of his nails digging into the leather seats!!!

Have ordered a cover off of Amazon for the back seat (Winner Outfitters TPU cover) but want something for the front seats - he is protection trained and moves around some if I am not in the vehicle. Am looking at Wetokole.com - but am open to other options.

Any suggestions?

Ted
Old 07-12-2018, 03:40 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

Well, one of the other problems you'll likely face is all of the interior trim surfaces. You might want to consider protecting the center console and armrests and door panels as well as they are easily damaged.
Old 07-12-2018, 04:32 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by tedfromohio
...I hate to leave him behind when talking out the Porsche.
Leave him at home. It's safer for you and your dog, and it's better for your 996 Turbo.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:20 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,437 Posts

I am with Dock.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:57 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

+1

The soft-touch plastics and leather non-seating surfaces scratch more easily than the seats.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:09 PM
SOS
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

I think any good quality seat cover will work. If you're worried about nails digging into the leather, you can lay a thick towel on the seat under the cover. You could also use a thick bath towel to cover your centre console if you're worried about that. The towel ends should easily slip in between the console and seats providing some protection. Same could be done with the door with a bit of creativity. This is all assuming that your dog is well behaved of course. All bets are off with a full grown shepherd who decides to start thrashing around inside. Having said that, I don't really think that leaving a dog alone in a car is ever a good idea for the dog.

I use bath towels to protect everything in my car and trunk when I'm loaded up for the track.

Don't listen to people who just tell you not to put your dog in your car. In real life, dogs, kids, overly drunk girlfriends, obese track day students etc all happen in the passenger seat. Such is life if you treat your car better than a simple garage queen

Good luck.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:16 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SOS
Don't listen to people who just tell you not to put your dog in your car. In real life, dogs, kids, overly drunk girlfriends, obese track day students etc all happen in the passenger seat.
So you think he places the passenger seat belt and shoulder harness on the dog??

Originally Posted by SOS
Such is life if you treat your car better than a simple garage queen.
Actually, no it isn't. I'd recommend not driving with ANY dog in the passenger's seat, especially a large dog, even if someone drove their car 500 miles every day of the year.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:42 AM
NoogaSparrow
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
So you think he places the passenger seat belt and shoulder harness on the dog??

Actually, no it isn't. I'd recommend not driving with ANY dog in the passenger's seat, especially a large dog, even if someone drove their car 500 miles every day of the year.
To your first comment, when I travel with my Lab/Pit mix, she indeed does have a seatbelt harness But this is in my 4runner and in the back seat.

This is the exact one I have... they have different versions so keep that in mind. The one I have (below) is strength tested for crashes.
Kurgo Tru-Fit Crash Tested Dog Harness Kurgo Tru-Fit Crash Tested Dog Harness
Old 07-13-2018, 10:40 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NoogaSparrow
The one I have (below) is strength tested for crashes.
To 30 mph?
Old 07-13-2018, 03:38 PM
Scott.
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 16 Posts

Throw a beach towel on the passenger seat, use the seatbelt harness, vacuum dog hair on a regular basis and you'll be fine. When my car used to be a daily driver, my dog rode shotgun all the time and I was even in a accident during those years that almost totaled the car. Dog survived with no issues, interior was never permanently damaged and we had lots of fun driving around with her head sticking out the window. Enjoy the car!
Old 07-13-2018, 07:49 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Here's a crash test video using a 75 lb. dummy dog "secured" with a Kurgo Enhanced Tru-Fit Dog Harness and a 30 mph impact. It doesn't appear to me that the dummy dog has realistic spinal articulation, so IMO this video does not reflect the cervical spine whiplash that would actually occur. There would also likely be thoracic spine whipping as the dog reached full harness/seat belt extension, assuming of course that the dog didn't impact the dash first (if seated in the passenger's seat), and of course assuming that the passenger's side front airbag is not turned on. Imagine the impact if the front airbag fired.

This video is from a front end collision. Imagine the dog's movement in an off-axis collision.

Old 07-13-2018, 10:14 PM
r6vr6
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 56 Posts

I say call up the kitten mitton people and see if they'll make a custom set for your dog.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:25 AM
NoogaSparrow
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
Here's a crash test video using a 75 lb. dummy dog "secured" with a Kurgo Enhanced Tru-Fit Dog Harness and a 30 mph impact. It doesn't appear to me that the dummy dog has realistic spinal articulation, so IMO this video does not reflect the cervical spine whiplash that would actually occur. There would also likely be thoracic spine whipping as the dog reached full harness/seat belt extension, assuming of course that the dog didn't impact the dash first (if seated in the passenger's seat), and of course assuming that the passenger's side front airbag is not turned on. Imagine the impact if the front airbag fired.

This video is from a front end collision. Imagine the dog's movement in an off-axis collision.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keuL..._qUyslQIotywpJ
that's why I put the quotes around it... I found it as the best option when I needed to bring my dog with me somewhere. And like I said, in the back seat only.

I found it the best construction of any other option out there, in addition to the ease of use...

side note: I always find it amusing when someone makes a comment (like above about 'crash tested) and when you ask for further info the subject doesn't know any details... just that 'marketing' around the phrases... could have been crash-tested and failed miserably.. but it was crash tested
Old 07-16-2018, 09:33 AM
FASTTRIP
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

It is his car do do want he wants ,but personally I wouldn’t buy it from you if pets or smokin is your choice. I think on resale you’ll hurt your self, that will make that leather smell something funky. I find the leather smell one of things that i
ike about the car.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:52 AM
Rvca3112
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 85 Posts

Leave th dog at home. Yeah he’s your buddy but that’s a big dog for a small car.

Quick Reply: Seat Cover Question/Opinions - Dog