Sponsored by:

Tire Blow-out

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 03:27 PM
spooltime
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Tire Blow-out

Every time I try to disprove the "if it's too good to be true, it probably is" maxim, I fail. I found what I thought was a great deal on a pair of Toyo tires in 315/25/19. New with factory labels still affixed. Recent DOT production date. Super price - seemed too good to be true.

So I'm tooling down the street (fortunately not really fast) when I hear a muffled pop and then the rough ride can only mean a flat tire. It was more than a flat; it was like the entire sidewall of the tire disintegrated - some sort of defect with the tire.

Complete separation of the sidewall. The tire bead is just gone:

At this point, it appears the tire seller is going to refund me, it doesn't look like the wheel got damaged, and the car and I were totally unscathed. But it could have been a much different outcome had this happened on the highway. I plain lucked out. No more "bargain priced" tires for me.
Old 07-10-2018, 03:31 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Wow, that is catastrophic. Since tires are probably the most important safety item on the car, good idea not to skimp here. Just curious, could it be they were installed incorrectly?
Old 07-10-2018, 03:41 PM
spooltime
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wross996tt
Just curious, could it be they were installed incorrectly?
No, installation was flawless. Actually, it's fairly difficult to not install a new tire correctly. It's usually when a tire is dismounted that a bead gets damaged or something and when it's re-installed, then you can have issues. This tire had been mounted only once.
Old 07-10-2018, 04:59 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

it is a Toyo...
Old 07-10-2018, 06:05 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 282 Posts

Is Toyo no good? I haven't used them but I thought they were good tires. Any chance you ran over something that blew out the sidewall?
Old 07-10-2018, 06:29 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

That is really hard to believe. Where did the metal bead reinforcing wire go? Did it stay on the rim?? It looks like there were none. Or dId the entire sidewall separate from the bead?
Old 07-10-2018, 06:56 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by spooltime
Actually, it's fairly difficult to not install a new tire correctly..
Not to be argumentative, but installing these type of tires is easily screwed up. They are a tight fit on the rim...I have seen damage done to side walls during installation. Not to say this is your issue, I just wouldn't generalize as you have in your post.

Trending Topics

Old 07-10-2018, 08:20 PM
s65e90
Drifting

Received 722 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by 993GT
it is a Toyo...

Lol for real. How many more have to just rip apart to see they're junk.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:24 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,927 Posts

Looking at the nature of the failure, my bet is on installation. That chunk of the sidewall that is missing is most likely where the pry bar went in to 'bend' the last little bit of tire over the rim. If there is too much leverage applied as the wheel is turning on the drum, one can break the cords, damage the sidewall and then have a sidewall fail.

Chances are the failure started before the rims were back on the car. Chances are also in your favor that the shop is aware of problems like these, and will refund your money/replace the tire without question.

I would also have the rest of the tires checked.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:35 PM
spooltime
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wross996tt
I have seen damage done to side walls during installation. Not to say this is your issue, I just wouldn't generalize as you have in your post.
Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
Looking at the nature of the failure, my bet is on installation. That chunk of the sidewall that is missing is most likely where the pry bar went in to 'bend' the last little bit of tire over the rim.
I concede it is possible to damage the outside facing tire bead during a mount (so maybe I generalized a bit), but that's not the side that failed here (the inner sidewall failed). When mounting a tire, you can literally slide the inner tire side bead onto the rim by hand, so the chances of the inner bead being damaged during an initial mount of a new tire are almost slim and none since the inner bead is moved into final mounted position on the rim with compressed air. It typically is never touched by the mounting equipment or a tire bar. With a reverse drop wheel, which the wheel this tire was mounted on is not, you can possibly damage the inner bead during a mount since the mounting process is the reverse of a standard rim. This brand new, never mounted tire failed on the inner sidewall during the first fifteen minutes of being driven on, and it had nothing to do with the mounting of the tire or the tire being punctured. The defective tire has been returned to vendor (along with its mate - can't be trusted after what happened).
Old 07-10-2018, 10:41 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,927 Posts

Originally Posted by spooltime
I concede it is possible to damage the outside facing tire bead during a mount (so maybe I generalized a bit), but that's not the side that failed here (the inner sidewall failed). When mounting a tire, you can literally slide the inner tire side bead onto the rim by hand, so the chances of the inner bead being damaged during an initial mount of a new tire are almost slim and none since the inner bead is moved into final mounted position on the rim with compressed air. It typically is never touched by the mounting equipment or a tire bar. With a reverse drop wheel, which the wheel this tire was mounted on is not, you can possibly damage the inner bead during a mount since the mounting process is the reverse of a standard rim. This brand new, never mounted tire failed on the inner sidewall during the first fifteen minutes of being driven on, and it had nothing to do with the mounting of the tire or the tire being punctured. The defective tire has been returned to vendor (along with its mate - can't be trusted after what happened).
Perhaps - but there are two other possibilities, 1) the tire was mounted on something else before you got it, and 2) in order for the strands in the sidewall to fail, they were subjected to a great deal more force than the 44psi running pressure could produce.

And a third possibility - manufacturing problem.

Lucky it didn't happen at speed.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:44 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hard to tell from pic, but looks like tire was stretched to fit that rim. Almost like it was too small to start with.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:11 AM
996tt6156R
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is that the new R888R? i dont like them i like the old R888.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:39 AM
spooltime
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fpb111
Where did the metal bead reinforcing wire go? Did it stay on the rim?? It looks like there were none. Or dId the entire sidewall separate from the bead?
The entire sidewall separated from the bead, The bead (what was left of it), along with the reinforcing steel cable, had to be cut off the rim using a Dremel. Due to being advised to not permit further product disparagement, I am closing this thread.

Quick Reply: Tire Blow-out