Which Do You Think Look Best - Concave or Step Lip?!? - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Go Back  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums > Turbo Technical Discussion Areas > 996 Turbo Forum
Reload this Page >

Which Do You Think Look Best - Concave or Step Lip?!?

Notices
996 Turbo Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Do You Think Look Best - Concave or Step Lip?!?

Reply

Old 06-17-2018, 01:03 PM
  #1  
Raron
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 139
Default Which Do You Think Look Best - Concave or Step Lip?!?










Shopping new wheels for my soon to be mine TT. Trying to decide which of these look best on 996TT.

1) Step lip multi-spoke. Depth accentuates the flares fenders.

2) Concave - 1 piece simplicity like these Votsteiner reminecent of RUF but concaved and thinner spokes. Silver is classy - and with no polished materials the bright silver always makes black paint look deeper.

What do do you guys vote?
Raron is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 03:35 PM
  #2  
Dock
Super User
 
Dock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 6,636
Default

Originally Posted by Raron View Post
What do do you guys vote?
I suggest you get what you like best, not what others like best. If you can't decide on your own, then just flip a coin.
Dock is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 04:04 PM
  #3  
Raron
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 139
Default

Originally Posted by Dock View Post
I suggest you get what you like best, not what others like best. If you can't decide on your own, then just flip a coin.
Of course I will get what I ultimately end up liking best. Iím sure none of us got to be able to enjoy toys like these without having a mind of our own. But posts like these are an invitation for feedback that might INFLUENCE - not decide the final decision. Itís part of the hobby no? ;-).
Raron is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 04:23 PM
  #4  
Carlo_Carrera
2011 Rennlist F1 Champion
Rennlist Member
 
Carlo_Carrera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Nearby
Posts: 3,839
Default

For what it is worth I like the the bottom two pictured.
Carlo_Carrera is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 04:58 PM
  #5  
Dock
Super User
 
Dock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 6,636
Default

Originally Posted by Raron View Post
But posts like these are an invitation for feedback that might INFLUENCE - not decide the final decision.
Why would you let others influence your final decision when all the wheels you show are descent looking and would look good on a 996 Turbo? I don't think anyone is going to opine that any of those wheels are going to cause your car to drive poorly, which in fact would be valuable information to have. And while for example one set of wheels may appeal more to me personally than the other examples, that shouldn't have any impact on what appeals to you. It's like me telling you that redheaded women appeal to me more than blonds, and you letting that influence you to also like redheads over blonds.

Originally Posted by Raron View Post
Itís part of the hobby no? ;-).
I don't consider it part of the hobby.

You asked for inputs, and I gave you mine. Others will give you theirs. Good luck figuring out what you really like.
Dock is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 05:54 PM
  #6  
Raron
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 139
Default

Originally Posted by Dock View Post
Why would you let others influence your final decision when all the wheels you show are descent looking and would look good on a 996 Turbo? I don't think anyone is going to opine that any of those wheels are going to cause your car to drive poorly, which in fact would be valuable information to have. And while for example one set of wheels may appeal more to me personally than the other examples, that shouldn't have any impact on what appeals to you. It's like me telling you that redheaded women appeal to me more than blonds, and you letting that influence you to also like redheads over blonds.



I don't consider it part of the hobby.

You asked for inputs, and I gave you mine. Others will give you theirs. Good luck figuring out what you really like.
Except you neglected to give any real input, you simply got on a soapbox and told a grown man that he doesnít need input from others. And yet here you are on a forum that is all about asking questions and sharing information. Why ask questions? And why share information?

Iím being sarcastic, but Iím also being real. In nearly every forum thereís always one or two that take everything literally and feel the need to do this. After over 90 cars across every genre I donít take this so seriously. A small part of the fun fornmost of us is making others smile - albeit 10% but still. Hence, if I am indifferent over two wheels I will most definitely pick the one that the majority of people like. Because why not! Anyhow, thank you for sharing your style that you donít care even 1% about what others think, glad to know it!

Last edited by Raron; 06-17-2018 at 07:04 PM.
Raron is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 05:55 PM
  #7  
Raron
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 139
Default

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera View Post
For what it is worth I like the the bottom two pictured.
Thanks for the feedback. I too am leaning that direction. I sort of like a simple concave five spoke. It is classic yet modern. I was a bit torn because the low offset of these cars enable a really deep lip which is also nice.
Raron is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 06:20 PM
  #8  
Dock
Super User
 
Dock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 6,636
Default

Originally Posted by Raron View Post
Except you neglected to give any real and put you simply got on a soapbox and told a grown man that he doesnít need input from others.
What? (sentence structure?)

I didn't say people shouldn't ask for input. There are certainly things that are appropriate for people to seek input on. For example, seeking input on various performance options available for the 996 Turbo before making a decision on which to choose. Or seeking input on maintenance issues; for example someone asking about a repair on the engine and someone offering advice that lowering the engine will make the job easier. That's all great information. But my offering you my opinion regarding the wheel designs you are considering is just like my offering you my opinion regarding my personal preference of hair colors on women.

Originally Posted by Raron View Post
A small part of the fun fornmost of us is making others smile - alothugh 10% but still. Hence, if I am indifferent over two wheels I will most definitely pick the one that the majority of people like. Because why not!
Wow. Really?

Originally Posted by Raron View Post
Anyhow, thank you for sharing your style that you donít care even 1% about what others think, glad to know it!
In terms of what others think about my subjective opinions regarding my 996 Turbo, it's lower than that.
Dock is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 06:35 PM
  #9  
Raron
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 139
Default

Originally Posted by Dock View Post
What? (sentence structure?)

I didn't say people shouldn't ask for input. There are certainly things that are appropriate for people to seek input on. For example, seeking input on various performance options available for the 996 Turbo before making a decision on which to choose. Or seeking input on maintenance issues; for example someone asking about a repair on the engine and someone offering advice that lowering the engine will make the job easier. That's all great information. But my offering you my opinion regarding the wheel designs you are considering is just like my offering you my opinion regarding my personal preference of hair colors on women.



Wow. Really?



In terms of what others think about my subjective opinions regarding my 996 Turbo, it's lower than that.
Voice dictation ;-).

Btw, the hair color analogy is way off! When I get asked to take the Huracan or 68 Charger to charity events or a child with special needs birthday I am unable to recall a single time that someone specifically requested I bring my hot wife just so they can look at her haha. At least they didnít say so verbally ;-)

Raron is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 06:42 PM
  #10  
Dock
Super User
 
Dock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 6,636
Default

Originally Posted by Raron View Post
Voice dictation ;-).
It makes for difficult communication, and may lead some to conclude that one's language skills are lacking. It certainly indicates a lack of proofreading before selecting "Submit Reply".

Originally Posted by Raron View Post
Btw, the hair color analogy is way off! When I get asked to take the Huracan or 68 Charger to charity events or a child with special needs birthday I am unable to recall a single time that someone specifically requested I bring my hot wife just so they can look at her haha. At least they didn’t say so verbally ;-)
Ahhh....never mind.

Last edited by Dock; 06-18-2018 at 01:11 PM.
Dock is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 06:46 PM
  #11  
leftlane
User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,250
Default

Of all the wheels pictured above I prefer the first pic the most. The others look out of proportion, sorta cartoonish, but that’s just me.
leftlane is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 06:59 PM
  #12  
racer959
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
racer959's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 341
Default





How about these.
racer959 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:20 PM
  #13  
Nyuofa
User
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 45
Default

Step lip. I love the look of E88ís on 911ís.
Nyuofa is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:23 PM
  #14  
Dock
Super User
 
Dock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 6,636
Default

Originally Posted by leftlane View Post
The others look out of proportion, sorta cartoonish, but thatís just me.
Maybe because those pictured are 20+ inch diameter wheels. They do look huge.
Dock is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 09:05 PM
  #15  
Rvca3112
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Rvca3112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Brick, nj
Posts: 530
Default

IMHO wheels with lips are a older look, the concave one are more of a modern thing. Although, I am OBSESSED with ruf 5 spokes
Rvca3112 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: