Sponsored by:

Window lowering problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 12:54 AM
lconn
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Window lowering problem

Simply put, the automatic window lowering works fine when getting out of the car but not getting in. Either door handle will lower the window when the door is opened, it just doesn't stay lowered if you're getting in the car, just out. Read many threads but didn't see one with this particular problem. The switches clearly work but not sure how the door latch could produce this particular problems. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 05-19-2018, 02:38 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Three microswitches. Either door handle switch will trigger the window to lower, and the door latch switch will *keep* it lowered while open.

Easier to test it with the door open and using a screwdriver to trip the door latch and simulate "closing" the door.

Try these tests, see which ones fail:
0) Door open, but latch closed with screwdriver to simulate door being closed. Window should be all the way up.
1) Lightly pull on outer handle (not enough to open latch), window should drop slightly, and return when you let go of the handle.
2) ​​​​​​ Lightly pull on inner handle (not enough to open latch), window should drop slightly, and return when you let go of the handle.
3) Pull completely on outer handle (enough to open latch), window should drop slightly and stay dropped when you let go of the handle.
4) Reset latch to closed with screwdriver. Window should go back up.
5) Pull completely on inner handle (enough to open latch), window should drop slightly and stay dropped when you let go of the handle.
6) Reset latch to closed with screwdriver. Window should go back up.

This should help you figure out if any of the three microswitches are bad.

Last edited by pfbz; 05-19-2018 at 02:51 PM.
Old 05-19-2018, 04:12 AM
Taylorcar
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m also having this problem (specifically that the window won’t stay lowered when Door is open...it opens with handle pull and closes with handle release) so I know it’s the switch (or microcontroller as you call it here) that ‘detects Door open’. I assume there’s away I can fix it but I’ve tried searching the forum for “window microcontroller” among others and come up empty? Anyone want to tell me what the part is called so I can find thread disussing replacement?
Old 05-19-2018, 04:23 AM
Taylorcar
Intermediate

I should read more carefully. You said microswitch.

Here’s the thread the OP needs. https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...witches-3.html
Old 05-20-2018, 05:52 PM
lconn
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions, working on them now.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:30 PM
PCAR996C2
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My mechanic says there is a switch in the door locks which also fail, which can cause this issue.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:49 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

My mechanic says there is a switch in the door locks which also fail, which can cause this issue.
Latch, not lock.

Three microswitches. The latch microswitch is built into the latch mechanism itself an the most expensive to replace.
Old 11-10-2020, 09:58 AM
Brian Bradshaw
7th Gear

Originally Posted by pfbz
Three microswitches. Either door handle switch will trigger the window to lower, and the door latch switch will *keep* it lowered while open.

Easier to test it with the door open and using a screwdriver to trip the door latch and simulate "closing" the door.

Try these tests, see which ones fail:
0) Door open, but latch closed with screwdriver to simulate door being closed. Window should be all the way up.
1) Lightly pull on outer handle (not enough to open latch), window should drop slightly, and return when you let go of the handle.
2) ​​​​​​ Lightly pull on inner handle (not enough to open latch), window should drop slightly, and return when you let go of the handle.
3) Pull completely on outer handle (enough to open latch), window should drop slightly and stay dropped when you let go of the handle.
4) Reset latch to closed with screwdriver. Window should go back up.
5) Pull completely on inner handle (enough to open latch), window should drop slightly and stay dropped when you let go of the handle.
6) Reset latch to closed with screwdriver. Window should go back up.

This should help you figure out if any of the three microswitches are bad.
Hi - I'm new to this forum and have a 987.1 '06 Boxster. The passenger side window has not functioned properly since I bought the car 3 years ago. The window works with the normal window switches (goes up and down as expected) and roof open / roof closed behavior is as expected also. There are never any error messages indicated in the info center. My solution has always been to close the window with the switch after someone has gotten into or out of the car. Below are the behaviors I have noticed:
  • Lightly pull on outer handle (not enough to open latch), window drops slightly; DOES NOT return when let go of the outer handle.
  • Lightly pull on inner handle (not enough to open latch), window drops slightly, DOES NOT return when let go of the inner handle.
  • Pull completely on outer handle (enough to open latch), window drops slightly and stays dropped when let go of the outer handle
  • Pull completely on inner handle (enough to open latch), window drops slightly and stays dropped when let go of the inner handle
  • Reset latch to closed with screwdriver. Window DOES NOT go back up.
  • Door open, use window switch to raise window; window goes all the way closed up and then immediately back down open 1/4 inch. (This was strange to me since the driver side door when open and tried to put it up completely would NOT go all the way closed up but instead left the 1/4 inch gap.
I used to have the durametric software but no longer have this (am considering getting it again). ANY thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. Would love to resolve this minor irritation THANKS IN ADVANCE

ALSO - to clarify there is no issue with locking the car and no issue with interior cabin lighting.

Last edited by Brian Bradshaw; 11-10-2020 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Update
Old 11-10-2020, 01:10 PM
nbressette
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

This happened to me earlier this year. There is a guy on ebay that sells replacement switches but due to covid they take a super long time to ship. I have a set on hand now but I fixed mine by adding a shim to the existing factory switch. Also helps to remove the likely damaged plastic coating on the latch lobe that activates the switch.

If you want to replace your switches and dont want to wait for international shipping let me know and I'll send you mine. I think mine are for the passenger side.
Old 11-10-2020, 01:26 PM
Brian Bradshaw
7th Gear

Thanks! Let me know the cost please? I'm really trying to understand which switch is the culprit here, if at all possible!
Old 11-10-2020, 05:43 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Brian Bradshaw
Thanks! Let me know the cost please? I'm really trying to understand which switch is the culprit here, if at all possible!
Did you run through the test sequence in post #2? If so, post up the results and we can likely help you figure out which microswitch is acting up, or if it is the regulator...
Old 11-10-2020, 08:56 PM
k9turbo
Three Wheelin'

Received 258 Likes on 210 Posts

the new door latch mechanism is about 275. i just picked one up for 75 used. it's the same as a boxter 986 part.

my last used replacement cannabilized from a dead boxter lasted about 8 years +/-.
The following users liked this post:
Brian Bradshaw (11-11-2020)
Old 11-11-2020, 01:15 AM
Brian Bradshaw
7th Gear

Originally Posted by pfbz
Did you run through the test sequence in post #2? If so, post up the results and we can likely help you figure out which microswitch is acting up, or if it is the regulator...
Awesome thanks! Yes, I did post them and I'm not sure why i can no longer find my results or that initial posting?? Anyway - here's a re-do of what I've tried.

The behavior below is on the passenger window. I am able to raise and lower the window normally with the stanrard window switches in the cabin. No grinding noises or anything unusual that i can tell. There are also no other unexpected behaviors related to locking the car with the switch or key fob and no issues with interior cabin lighting.
​​
  • Lightly pull on outer handle (not enough to open latch) => window drops slightly but DOES NOT return to closed when let go of the outer handle.
  • Lightly pull on inner handle (not enough to open latch) => window drops slightly but DOES NOT return to closed when let go of the inner handle.
  • Pull completely on outer handle (enough to open latch) => window drops slightly and stays dropped when let go of the outer handle. Close door => window does not return to closed.
  • Pull completely on inner handle (enough to open latch) => window drops slightly and stay dropped when let go of the inner handle. Close door => window does not return to closed.
Other interesting behavior i noticed - when the driver side door is open and the window is dropped slightly as it should, I am not able to raise it at all using any if the window switches. However, with the passenger side door open and the window dropped slightly as it should, i AM ABLE to raise the window to fully closed but then it immediately drops back down to slightly open. I'm not sure if that is an indicator at all.

I realize there are a few steps I've left out and do do those as well if needed. THANKS in advance for the advice here!
Old 11-11-2020, 01:38 AM
Brian Bradshaw
7th Gear

Awesome thanks! Yes, I did post them and I'm not sure why i can no longer find my results or that initial posting?? Anyway - here's a re-do of what I've tried.

The behavior below is on the passenger window of my 2006 boxtser. I am able to raise and lower the window normally with the standard window switches in the cabin. No grinding noises or anything unusual that i can tell. There are also no other unexpected behaviors related to locking the car with the switch or key fob and no issues with interior cabin lighting.
  • Lightly pull on outer handle (not enough to open latch) => window drops slightly but DOES NOT return to closed when let go of the outer handle.
  • Lightly pull on inner handle (not enough to open latch) => window drops slightly but DOES NOT return to closed when let go of the inner handle.
  • Pull completely on outer handle (enough to open latch) => window drops slightly and stays dropped when let go of the outer handle. Close door => window does not return to closed.
  • Pull completely on inner handle (enough to open latch) => window drops slightly and stay dropped when let go of the inner handle. Close door => window does not return to closed.
Other interesting behavior i noticed - when the driver side door is open and the window is dropped slightly as it should, I am not able to raise it at all using any if the window switches. However, with the passenger side door open and the window dropped slightly as it should, i AM ABLE to raise the window to fully closed but then it immediately drops back down to slightly open. I'm not sure if that is an indicator at all.

I've been living with this since I can simply raise the window with the switch after a passenger gets into or out of the car but would be great to fix this.

I realize there are a few steps I've left out and do do those as well if needed. THANKS in advance for the advice here!
Old 11-11-2020, 02:52 PM
nbressette
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by k9turbo
the new door latch mechanism is about 275. i just picked one up for 75 used. it's the same as a boxter 986 part.

my last used replacement cannabilized from a dead boxter lasted about 8 years +/-.
That's interesting, I tried to order 8N2-837-016-B and was told there is a significant difference and that the right number was 3B1-837-016-P

Quick Reply: Window lowering problem