Sponsored by:

LED Fog and High Beam Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 07:18 PM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default LED Fog and High Beam Bulbs

Just wondering if anyone has done them. I hate that the halogen bulbs are so different in color temp to the Litronic low beams. I've been thinking about getting the LED 6000K H11 for the high beams and since I never need to use my fogs here in SoCal, was thinking about doing the LED H3's for the fogs. Here's a couple links to the bulbs I'm considering. They're inexpensive enough to try it out anyway. Anyone have any experience? If so, which ones did you use?

H11's for High Beams
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-LASFIT-H...!US!-1&vxp=mtr

H3 Fogs
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-H3-60W-C...xauh5o&vxp=mtr
Old 04-02-2018, 12:04 AM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

I've tried them in a couple types of non Porsche vehicles. They don't work well in usual housings bc the light only comes out of either side of the "bulb" unlike a regular bulb
Old 04-02-2018, 08:51 AM
NoogaSparrow
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

the reflectors in the housing are not designed for an LED setup... that's the problem. It may look better to you (as driver) but there will be so much 'glare' and bad reflecting angles, blinding other drivers..
The worst is when pickups replace their halogens with some HID kit, and blinds everyone with their low beams..
Old 04-02-2018, 11:17 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Or, just driving low cars where many newer car lights are blinding. Wish we had stricter standstan for lighting here.
The following users liked this post:
blockhed (10-21-2022)
Old 04-02-2018, 02:42 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by NoogaSparrow
It may look better to you (as driver) but there will be so much 'glare' and bad reflecting angles, blinding other drivers..
The worst is when pickups replace their halogens with some HID kit, and blinds everyone with their low beams..
^This
Old 04-04-2018, 07:15 PM
RDS928S
Rennlist Member

Received 678 Likes on 307 Posts

Just modify the HID ballast & upgrade the bulb. U will not need high beams.

U can also install a true HID projector in the fog lamp location too.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/5111...5074925715388/

Last edited by RDS928S; 04-04-2018 at 09:51 PM.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:21 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,853 Likes on 2,935 Posts

So, one can upgrade the halogens to HIDs and not have a problem melting housings? This does sound like a worthwhile upgrade.
Old 04-05-2018, 08:25 AM
NoogaSparrow
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
So, one can upgrade the halogens to HIDs and not have a problem melting housings? This does sound like a worthwhile upgrade.
it doesn't have to be HID, it could also be LED, you just need the correct housing, reflector combination so it works properly. LED will naturally be much cooler, but could depend on the ballast that's powering it as well with how close it is to the housing.
The following users liked this post:
blazen244 (10-22-2022)
Old 04-09-2018, 02:30 AM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NoogaSparrow
the reflectors in the housing are not designed for an LED setup... that's the problem. It may look better to you (as driver) but there will be so much 'glare' and bad reflecting angles, blinding other drivers..
I'm really not worried about blinding other drivers with the High Beams as I'd never drive with them on if there's oncoming traffic, just use them on night time canyon runs. But you make a really good point when it comes to the fog light. But I really like the idea that you and RDS928S made about being able to put projector beams into the foglights as long as aimed well and like you said with the proper ballast and reflectors etc. could be a great mod! Thanks for the input!
Originally Posted by RDS928S

Just modify the HID ballast & upgrade the bulb. U will not need high beams.

U can also install a true HID projector in the fog lamp location too.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/5111...5074925715388/
I so want those black headlight buckets!!! I'm afraid to mess with mine. Hmmm...I wonder if anyone would want to do it for me and what it would cost? I also wouldn't mind fabbing up a ring to go around the headlight area with 4 LED's to emulate the 991 style DRLs. I've seen them on aftermarket 997 headlights, but never on the 996's. Looking at how you took them apart, it may not be too difficult to fab something up. Hmmm...scratches head... Thanks for your input, that was a great link!
Old 04-09-2018, 08:11 AM
RDS928S
Rennlist Member

Contact Evan. He performed that upgrade on my headlights.

info@visionautolab.com
Old 12-31-2018, 03:32 PM
DrScientist
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i know this is a relatively old thread, but i havent posted on rennlist in a while, and thought i had some useful information.

i replaced the low beam halogen bulbs inside the projector lens/housings of an e24 bmw with LED bulbs.
the lens/housing produced a clean cut off line, exactly like the original halogen bulb.
note, this will only work in a projector set up, not a standard halogen + reflector housing.

i can not speak for the bulbs linked above. based on you tube reviews, i spent the extra cash on a set of high quality, premium bulbs. they are gtr gen 3, but current reviews report the supernova v4 to be almost as good. not all led bulbs are equal, based on output of the leds and their arrangement in the bulb.
they light up the road in front of the car incredibly well. however, the order of magnitude increase in light output of light does match up with the order of magnitude increase in price vs other led bulbs.

as far as high beams go, i agree with the original poster, the housing and upwards glare are not as important, because if you have your high beams on heading into oncoming traffic, youre a lost cause anyway.

anyway, hope this helps, and if anybody HAS replaced their high beam bulbs in their 996 let me know, because that's on my list as well.
Old 12-31-2018, 06:50 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DrScientist
i know this is a relatively old thread, but i havent posted on rennlist in a while, and thought i had some useful information.

i replaced the low beam halogen bulbs inside the projector lens/housings of an e24 bmw with LED bulbs.
the lens/housing produced a clean cut off line, exactly like the original halogen bulb.
note, this will only work in a projector set up, not a standard halogen + reflector housing.

i can not speak for the bulbs linked above. based on you tube reviews, i spent the extra cash on a set of high quality, premium bulbs. they are gtr gen 3, but current reviews report the supernova v4 to be almost as good. not all led bulbs are equal, based on output of the leds and their arrangement in the bulb.
they light up the road in front of the car incredibly well. however, the order of magnitude increase in light output of light does match up with the order of magnitude increase in price vs other led bulbs.

as far as high beams go, i agree with the original poster, the housing and upwards glare are not as important, because if you have your high beams on heading into oncoming traffic, youre a lost cause anyway.

anyway, hope this helps, and if anybody HAS replaced their high beam bulbs in their 996 let me know, because that's on my list as well.
Why would one replace the HID low beam bulb on a turbo? Think the discussion was not changing out the lowbeam hids but the high beam non hids!
Old 01-02-2019, 05:46 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd

Why would one replace the HID low beam bulb on a turbo? Think the discussion was not changing out the lowbeam hids but the high beam non hids!
I I worked with Evan and the results are pretty nuts(that's what she said).
Bright clear illumination on the road at night is second to none. My 991 with PDLS or whatever the f--- an acronym is, is only better because they turn with the steering wheel at slower speeds.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:22 PM
RDS928S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911mhawk
I I worked with Evan and the results are pretty nuts(that's what she said).
Bright clear illumination on the road at night is second to none. My 991 with PDLS or whatever the f--- an acronym is, is only better because they turn with the steering wheel at slower speeds.
911MHawk- post some pics of ur lights.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/
Old 01-03-2019, 01:18 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

tbh, was 'considering' a 991tt (nice boring daily driver)... (test driving at night) headlights were a bit of a let down coming out of my GT2 (currently running Koito bulbs)... ^only benefit 991 had was adaptive/cornering lighting

Quick Reply: LED Fog and High Beam Bulbs