Sponsored by:

Clear Bra Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 04:17 PM
dkmesa
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by champignon
Completely agree. I replaced the bumper cover on my 1M with OEM, and had it painted by a competent shop. It looks very good. My 996 TT had its hood repainted due to rock chips a couple of owners ago; it also looks good, for age. This is a hobby, and if it pleases you within your resources, more power to you.

The kind of fun cars that most of us can afford are not curated and preserved paintings in an art gallery. They are motor vehicles, and if used they are exposed to all sorts of hazards and noxious agents. They are not invaluable, they may cost tens of thousands of dollars, but not hundreds of thousands or millions. They are, for the most part, depreciating assets. Even if they hold their value in nominal dollars, they are depreciating along with the value of the dollar (or whatever currency you prefer) due to inflation. Once you factor in the carrying costs such as insurance, repairs, maintenance, and the time value of money, they become an expensive hobby. The quickest way to make money on your car would be to sell it and not replace it with another one; a guaranteed money-making proposition.

So it basically comes down to pride of ownership and whatever extent your ego gets a boost from how good your car looks in the garage. To talk about increasing value or holding onto it by doing anything more than keeping up with maintenance and repairs, garaging, washing and maybe sealing and waxing, is to delude ones self.
You have quite the hard-on for this topic. Clear bra to boost one's ego? Maybe there is some correlation for some, but to project that as if that is the driving factor for those purchasing PPF is delusional.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:03 PM
champignon
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dkmesa
You have quite the hard-on for this topic. Clear bra to boost one's ego? Maybe there is some correlation for some, but to project that as if that is the driving factor for those purchasing PPF is delusional.
All of this stuff definitely puts a big smile on the face of your local F&I guy at the dealership :-)

I doubt there are any other add-ons with a car purchase that have a higher profit margin than vehicle coatings, of whatever type.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:09 PM
dkmesa
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by champignon
All of this stuff definitely puts a big smile on the face of your local F&I guy at the dealership :-)

I doubt there are any other add-ons with a car purchase that have a higher profit margin than vehicle coatings, of whatever type.
No doubt about that. Even without the dealer markup - going straight to the installer is quite the profit margin for the installer.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:35 PM
champignon
Pro

Originally Posted by dkmesa
No doubt about that. Even without the dealer markup - going straight to the installer is quite the profit margin for the installer.
I'm clearly in the wrong business :-)
Old 04-05-2018, 12:40 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by PaleAle
...on weekend "group" rides you are probably riding someones back bumper at times. If so you are subject to rocks that ceramic will not protect.
Easy fix: don't ride people's back bumper.
Old 04-05-2018, 01:55 AM
PaleAle
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
Easy fix: don't ride people's back bumper.
Well played.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:54 AM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by PaleAle
Well played.
unless it's a 991 TTS...
Old 04-05-2018, 04:27 AM
Berra
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wross996tt
OK so where did he SHOW me one? Picks or it didn't happen...anecdotal data...LOL ...and I'm talking clear bra...apparently his example was a complete wrap. Back at ya
Not sure if serious but..

https://m.youtube.com/user/TopazDetailing
Old 04-05-2018, 12:57 PM
champignon
Pro

Originally Posted by Berra
I'm not the poster you refer to, but people obviously decide on what is important to them and how they choose to spend their money. There are many things that people do to the cosmetic surfaces of vehicles to try to protect them; some are cheap and some are expensive, most are difficult to justify with a dispassionate financial analysis. Some of them work to some extent, and occasionally they can be actually counterproductive, as in the case of the individual who started this thread.

Summary statement is that "you pays yer money, and you takes yer chances."
Old 04-05-2018, 01:04 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 698 Likes on 366 Posts

It simply comes down to value. What’s important to one person, may be trivial to another. You need to get better educated and make the decision yourself.

forums like this are great because you can get both sides, as this thread has clearly done. There is ABSOLUTELY no one answer for EVERYONE. I cannot stress that enough.

if you want to know if YOU are a good candidate for clear bra, just answer this one simple question...if you walked out of your garage or office, or came back to your car and someone hit it with a shopping cart and scraped the paint, would you be having a bad day?

If the answer is YES, then you should get clear bra protection. Simple as that.

the next step would be to find a great installer and see the work. Once you find a quality shop, it’s down hill from there and trust the installer and let him/her be your filter and consultant as to what film to get, what coverage, how to care for it, etc.

hope this helps and diverts this thread to a more productive conversation
Old 04-05-2018, 01:22 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
if you want to know if YOU are a good candidate for clear bra, just answer this one simple question...if you walked out of your garage or office, or came back to your car and someone hit it with a shopping cart and scraped the paint, would you be having a bad day?

If the answer is YES, then you should get clear bra protection.

Are you talking about an entire car clear wrap?
Old 04-05-2018, 01:31 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 698 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
Are you talking about an entire car clear wrap?
if that’s value to YOU, then yes. We do a lot of full ppf installs. Most go with full front and extended rockers.

once again, it’s whats value to you that’s important
Old 04-05-2018, 01:31 PM
Andy Kay
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Never wax a clear bra with any wax containing Petroleum Distillates i.e. Griot's Best Of Show
That's one reason why they "yellow"
Old 04-05-2018, 01:43 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

if that’s value to YOU, then yes. We do a lot of full ppf installs. Most go with full front and extended rockers.

once again, it’s whats value to you that’s important
Oh, any clear or colored bra/wrap on my 996 Turbo is definitely not for me. I was just interested in your sales example mentioned in the post I responded to. Shopping carts do not inherently know to run into the car's front bumper. They do not discriminate; they can ding other parts of the car too. If the clear bra is only on the front bumper and part of the front fenders, it obviously offers no protection for the doors, rear fenders, or rear bumper.

So I would offer that if there are people who are going to have a bad day if there is any ding/scrape on any painted surface, then a clear bra is not the answer that you offered in your post.
Old 04-05-2018, 01:46 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

We do a lot of full ppf installs.
What does ppf stand for?

Quick Reply: Clear Bra Nightmare