996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clear Bra Nightmare

Old 04-03-2018, 01:07 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Thats why 'm leery to replace my sand guard on the wheel well. I even bought the replacement sheets and then decided not to proceed for fear of blotching the results when peeling the old ones off.
Old 04-03-2018, 01:27 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MoeMistry

I’m not aware of any film with lifetime warranty. Where did you see that? The high line films from suntek, xpel, and 3M come with 10 year warranty.
My son just had it done and was told it has lifetime warranty! Maybe the installer is giving it to him. Just repeating what he told me.
Old 04-03-2018, 01:45 PM
champignon
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd

My son just had it done and was told it has lifetime warranty! Maybe the installer is giving it to him. Just repeating what he told me.
It's good as long as the installer is still in business, solvent, and a person of good will. Otherwise, good luck :-)
Old 04-03-2018, 05:28 PM
Berra
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wross996tt
Hmmm show me one million dollar car with a clear bra on it. Never seen one. If it were that important why isn't it done at the factory?
Are you serious?
Old 04-03-2018, 07:24 PM
champignon
Pro

Originally Posted by Berra
Are you serious?
In the end, the sort of "collectible" cars that most of us would choose to buy, are being bought for the purpose of driving them. I enjoy admiring my cars as much as anyone, as they sit, queen-like, in the garage, but if that was the primary purpose for buying them, it would sure be a lot cheaper to collect plastic car models than the real thing. Cars when they are driven begin to look like used cars, which is precisely what they are. There are nice used cars and there are heaps; most of us prefer nice ones over heaps, to a certain limit, after which the fussed over thing never looks right unless it has just been washed and waxed or sealed. Once it has been washed and waxed or sealed, and looks terrific, then it certainly is easier just to leave it in the clean garage and admire it every so often, rather than drive it.

For me, OC behavior with cars becomes self-defeating after a point, because I would prefer to drive the thing than to just admire it in the garage. Clear Bras, ceramic coatings, and the rest of that stuff are symptoms of putting the car's appearance over its function. That's just not what I see in this hobby/interest, but others are certainly entitled to their own opinions!
Old 04-03-2018, 09:02 PM
douceman
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

OK, valid point regarding re-paint although my painter does a better job than the factory. (he actually asks if you want him to match the factory orange peel). Hmmm show me one million dollar car with a clear bra on it. Never seen one. If it were that important why isn't it done at the factory?
I was at a protective paint film shop today and they had a 918 Spyder with the car completely covered.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:08 PM
champignon
Pro

Originally Posted by douceman
I was at a protective paint film shop today and they had a 918 Spyder with the car completely covered.
The F&I guy who sold him that covering is going to be eating tenderloin every night for the next month!
Old 04-04-2018, 02:53 AM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 174 Posts

I like clear bras on the leading edge surfaces because they keep the car looking much better, much longer. Even if you end up having to repaint after removal, it's a once in 5-10 year thing vs. a once every couple years to keep an unprotected surface equally mar-free.
I do agree covering the whole car with film is ridiculous. In my admittedly limited experience they are much harder to polish and compound out small scratches and don't get the same look as well prepped bare paint. There are so many more edges that may lift up and collect dirt. And if paint is damaged in periodic removal, you my be looking at a complete repaint vs. just a bumper or maybe a hood.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:47 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by douceman
OK sample size of one...I guess we should conclude they all get that treatment. You must be in management...LOL

Now when I went to the track, I did put some clear shelf liner on leading edges to protect it for the day and removed it that night.

Really not worth arguing about...of course you can do what ever you'd like to do.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:40 PM
dkmesa
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

OK sample size of one...I guess we should conclude they all get that treatment. You must be in management...LOL

Now when I went to the track, I did put some clear shelf liner on leading edges to protect it for the day and removed it that night.

Really not worth arguing about...of course you can do what ever you'd like to do.
You serious? His was response even quoted where you requested someone show you ONE million dollar car that had a wrap. He did exactly that. Hardly the same as suggesting every hypercar gets a full wrap.
Old 04-04-2018, 01:44 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by dkmesa
You serious? His was response even quoted where you requested someone show you ONE million dollar car that had a wrap. He did exactly that. Hardly the same as suggesting every hypercar gets a full wrap.

OK so where did he SHOW me one? Picks or it didn't happen...anecdotal data...LOL ...and I'm talking clear bra...apparently his example was a complete wrap. Back at ya
Old 04-04-2018, 02:33 PM
dkmesa
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

OK so where did he SHOW me one? Picks or it didn't happen...anecdotal data...LOL ...and I'm talking clear bra...apparently his example was a complete wrap. Back at ya
Lol King of Semantics. I love it when rennlist threads get OT.
Old 04-04-2018, 02:48 PM
HBdirtbag
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by kcattorney
Frankly, I've never understood the allure of a clear bra. The new ceramic coating makes sense to me, but clear bras always seemed to me like the automotive equivalent of those plastic covers my grandma had on her sofa.
ceramic coating and PPF are very very different. It's not one or the other, most would do both. Ceramic Coating isn't going to prevent rock chips, etc.

I really need to re-do the PPF of my car, it's about 10 years old and starting to yellow. Anyone have a rough estimate on repainting the front bumper?
Old 04-04-2018, 02:58 PM
s65e90
Drifting

Received 721 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by kcattorney
Frankly, I've never understood the allure of a clear bra. The new ceramic coating makes sense to me, but clear bras always seemed to me like the automotive equivalent of those plastic covers my grandma had on her sofa.
Exactly. It's dumb and a waste of money. Like a clear phone cover over the display. Why hide it. Use it with pride, it's gonna get chips/scratches. You can always repaint stuff. To the ones saying they wouldn't touch a 15 year old car that has had paintwork, okay, then my car is not for you. People are funny.
Old 04-04-2018, 04:03 PM
champignon
Pro

Originally Posted by s65e90
Exactly. It's dumb and a waste of money. Like a clear phone cover over the display. Why hide it. Use it with pride, it's gonna get chips/scratches. You can always repaint stuff. To the ones saying they wouldn't touch a 15 year old car that has had paintwork, okay, then my car is not for you. People are funny.
Completely agree. I replaced the bumper cover on my 1M with OEM, and had it painted by a competent shop. It looks very good. My 996 TT had its hood repainted due to rock chips a couple of owners ago; it also looks good, for age. This is a hobby, and if it pleases you within your resources, more power to you.

The kind of fun cars that most of us can afford are not curated and preserved paintings in an art gallery. They are motor vehicles, and if used they are exposed to all sorts of hazards and noxious agents. They are not invaluable, they may cost tens of thousands of dollars, but not hundreds of thousands or millions. They are, for the most part, depreciating assets. Even if they hold their value in nominal dollars, they are depreciating along with the value of the dollar (or whatever currency you prefer) due to inflation. Once you factor in the carrying costs such as insurance, repairs, maintenance, and the time value of money, they become an expensive hobby. The quickest way to make money on your car would be to sell it and not replace it with another one; a guaranteed money-making proposition.

So it basically comes down to pride of ownership and whatever extent your ego gets a boost from how good your car looks in the garage. To talk about increasing value or holding onto it by doing anything more than keeping up with maintenance and repairs, garaging, washing and maybe sealing and waxing, is to delude ones self.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clear Bra Nightmare