Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Numeric shifter install

Old 03-12-2018, 10:17 AM
HBdirtbag
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Mtrboatvr6
Do you have it on the middle setting? If not I would try it there.

I can understand short throw shifters being to each persons tastes. I had a B&M shifter on my VW gti, and that thing was a steaming pile of garbage. The pin that the shift lever actuated on actually fractured at the end and the shifter fell down into the shift housing one day. That shifter was stiff just for the sake of stiff, engagement was poor etc. So after that experience for years, I know what I do not like in a short throw. The Numeric is completely different. Which is a very good thing. No wonder B&M discontinued that shifter...

yea, i've spent a week in each of the 3 settings, i like the middle the best.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:31 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

I had a B&M shifter on my VW gti, and that thing was a steaming pile of garbage. The pin that the shift lever actuated on actually fractured at the end and the shifter fell down into the shift housing one day. That shifter was stiff just for the sake of stiff, engagement was poor etc...
Maybe it was just your shifter; I have no issues with my B&M.

No wonder B&M discontinued that shifter...
Still available from Champion Motorsport. (BTW, B&M manufactured the stock shifter for Porsche).
Old 03-12-2018, 10:56 AM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

It is very direct feeling, some increase in effort but each shift is "oh yep no doubt thats 1st,2nd,3rd" etc. I think notchy more when a short throw isnt working or calibrated correctly that it hesitates going into gear. This does not do that. Mine is also set on the middle setting. I think the shortest setting may require too much effort, and take away the smooth direct ess that it has. im so happy right now with it, I dont want to touch it and tempt fate lol.
Thanks for that
Old 03-12-2018, 06:06 PM
Mtrboatvr6
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
Maybe it was just your shifter; I have no issues with my B&M.

Certainly could have been. My GTI is a "franken motor" one where it is a 99.5 MKIV (earliest of early production), that shares parts from both the MKIII and MKIV. They only made one shifter for it since it was such a niche product. They later changed the design on the MKIV which has plenty of support, but doesnt retro fit to mine (mounts are different). It was like my car was a development platform for them. very strange. I even have to ve careful about ordering parts for the car as it uses a coil pack from a MKIII VR6 12v.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:48 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Certainly could have been.
it wasnt. i had the b&m s/s in my turbo when i bought it. biggest pos i have ever used. numeric was lightyears better . and i have driven everything from a 4 speed to a 18 speed to a 23 speed triple stick diesel rig.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:18 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
it wasnt.
You know details about his specific shifter and its installation? How can you say "it wasn't" without that information?

Installing the B&M short shifter in a 996 Turbo takes high attention to detail. When I purchased my B&M short shifter (I installed it in June 2004) there was no device available (that I know of) to aid in alignment. There were posts over on 6speed around the time I installed my B&M where people complained about the shifter, only to change their minds after adjusting it properly.

My B&M short shifter has been great since the day I installed it; I haven't touched it since in terms of adjustments. So over 13 years of use with out issue. I love how it shifts.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:24 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

You know details about his specific shifter and its installation? How can you say "it wasn't" without that information?

Installing the B&M short shifter in a 996 Turbo takes high attention to detail. When I purchased my B&M short shifter (I installed it in June 2004) there was no device available (that I know of) to aid in alignment. There were posts over on 6speed around the time I installed my B&M where people complained about the shifter, only to change their minds after adjusting it properly.

My B&M short shifter has been great since the day I installed it; I haven't touched it since in terms of adjustments. So over 13 years of use with out issue. I love how it shifts.
i dont really need to know the details. i had a b&m shifter in my car when i bought it. had constant issues with shifts from 2-3 and 3-4. missed shifts constantly. bought the nuetral alignment tool and readjusted the shifter. no change. bought a numeric and installed it with zero adjustments and from that point on missed shifts were a thing of the past.
it didnt take an expert to feel the slop in the b&m and the plastic housing it is installed into. moving to an aluminum based haousing and bearing and heim joint shifter is worlds better in both feel and performance.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:02 AM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Ive had B&M SS since the begining, love the rifle bolt action, not sure what the problems are, didn't use an alignment tool never had any issues. I think those that have had problems might need to learn to be direct and know where they are while shifting and those that aren't direct with the shifting action will have issues, most mis shifts are from not having a good grasp of timing and keeping track of where they are while grabbing gears. are there any better ss out there? Im sure there is but never had a need to change, love my B&M never had any problems..
Old 03-13-2018, 01:30 AM
CRYSTALCLEAR
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the GT3 ssk. Throws are not as short as 997 ssk but it uses metal bushing which result in very crisp positive gear changes.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:04 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

i dont really need to know the details. .
I think you do need to know the details.

Given the number of people who have had the B&M short shifter in their 996s over the years (Turbo and N/A models) and not had any issue with them, and have loved the feel and performance, you may want to reconsider your macro opinion of the shifter.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:46 AM
32krazy!
Drifting

I think you do need to know the details.

Given the number of people who have had the B&M short shifter in their 996s over the years (Turbo and N/A models) and not had any issue with them, and have loved the feel and performance, you may want to reconsider your macro opinion of the shifter.
Thats basically because there wasn't another option. Try driving numeric. It will show you how lackluster the b&m really is

Also I was referring to the others post. Since I have run both shifters I don't need his details I have first hand experience
Old 03-13-2018, 11:41 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thats basically because there wasn't another option.
Really?? I can think of at least five short shift options that were available back in those days...B&M, TechArt, RUF, FVD, Porsche.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:55 AM
s65e90
Drifting

Received 718 Likes on 496 Posts

There's no comparing B&M to Numeric. One is plastic and one is metal.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:21 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by s65e90
There's no comparing B&M to Numeric. One is plastic and one is metal.
The B&M has metal where it counts.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:55 PM
s65e90
Drifting

Received 718 Likes on 496 Posts

The B&M has metal where it counts.
No it doesn't and that's the problem. The pivot points wear. It's not a terrible shifter, but no comparison to the Numeric. I have both in front of me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Numeric shifter install