Sponsored by:

Bringing one back from the grave

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 01:50 PM
gtred
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Bringing one back from the grave

At first I was looking for a very nice 996tt. After looking several months... and finding many "less than perfect"... even trashed, mid to low mileage cars... I became less picky. I quickly realized that 15 years of wear and tear can sometimes never be put right. Then I found a 2001: high mileage, decent finish (not multiple re-sprays), decent mechanicals, interior worn plastic bits, the leather seats and leather dash/trim panels looked pretty good. For the 10+K I saved on a "worn but loved" model, I figured that I could spend a little to make it nice. So, starting with the interior; before and after:

It's pretty obvious that graphite grey is not the most durable finish.

Old 03-09-2018, 02:20 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

How many previous owners, and how many miles are on the car?
Old 03-09-2018, 02:29 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gtred
It's pretty obvious that graphite grey is not the most durable finish.
It can be if taken care of properly.
Old 03-09-2018, 02:35 PM
gtred
Racer

It is wonderful that Porsche still stocks new interior trim panels for most anything you might want. Astonishing for a car that is more than 15 years old. Pelican and Suncoast have become my best friends. New steering wheel, shifter, console and plastic trim bits; all factory finished in "graphite grey". What I couldn't obtain either new or from e-bay (sunroof bezel, clothes hooks, fascia near seatbelt), I was able to re-spray with a plastic "dye" available from a detailing supplier: detailking.com carbon grey color HT445. The color is just a little lighter than OEM, but it's barely appreciated. For example, I purchased a new console, but refused to pay 200.00 for a new ashtray. Even with the re-sprayed ashtray installed in the OEM console; the color match is acceptable.

the coat hook and seat belt trim are resprays.

The sunroof bezel is also a respray. It worked best to wipe down with lacquer thinner rather than sand. The oem paint rubbed off pretty easily which left good surface prep for the re-spray.

Still to tackle: Install new oem radio bezel (I can't figure out how to get the deck to release), refinish/respray seat position trim panel ( I can't figure out how to get it out) and then work up the courage to tape/prep/respray a scratch in the dash, just below the key... I'll have to spray it in place and will have to be cautious about overspray.
Old 03-09-2018, 02:41 PM
gtred
Racer

Yes Dock; one owner for 6 months, the second owner for the duration. One area of significant wear was where the seat belt slid across the console when moving the seat back/fourth. Do you have any "pearls of wisdom" about how to protect this area? I tried using sticky chair foot pads, however the plastic belt housing does not allow for anything to stick to it well; they just fell off (hence the ghetto blue painters tape... which really seems to accent my interior decor).
Old 03-09-2018, 02:43 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

looks solid and fun project, how far are you going to go with it? keeper? flip?
Old 03-09-2018, 02:45 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gtred
One area of significant wear was where the seat belt slid across the console when moving the seat back/fourth. Do you have any "pearls of wisdom" about how to protect this area?
Yes; don't move the seat back and forth.

How may miles are on the car? Whoever the previous owners were, they certainly didn't put much effort into taking care of the interior; I'd judge it as "abused".

The fixes you've done sure help the looks of the interior.
Old 03-09-2018, 02:58 PM
gtred
Racer

Flip it? Oh, no!

It's got 111K miles on the clock. It sure is nice to have the interior in acceptable condition... no longer a let down once you open the door... and for some reason, the new plush carpet mats make me feel a bit pampered. Perhaps I'll bring this one up to being as nice as both of yours someday.
Old 03-09-2018, 04:32 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

my seat belt receptcles have the soft side of the velcro pad attached to them
Old 03-11-2018, 12:23 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

111k miles may be high mileage in the 996tt world, but in reality, it isn't bad for a 17 year old car. That thing has a LOT of life left in it. I would consider adding some pieces of black trim in the cockpit to break up the gray. Also, black floormats can help as well. The tan interior cars face the same issues that you are having.

Looks like you are off to a great start to your ownership experience!
Old 03-11-2018, 05:06 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,432 Posts

Originally Posted by kcattorney
111k miles may be high mileage in the 996tt world, but in reality, it isn't bad for a 17 year old car. That thing has a LOT of life left in it. I would consider adding some pieces of black trim in the cockpit to break up the gray. Also, black floormats can help as well. The tan interior cars face the same issues that you are having.

Looks like you are off to a great start to your ownership experience!
+1
Old 03-12-2018, 01:28 AM
Supaagent
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where did you get the mats?what color did you order?
Old 03-12-2018, 01:54 AM
champignon
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think that the key is to identify the several things in a higher mileage car that you don't like, and then to fix them. You are never going to make it look perfect, and in fact, why would you want to own a 15+ year old car that looks like it just drove off the showroom floor? Kind of kills the mystique of owning a vintage car. It should look its age, as a period piece, but not trashed.

Good luck with your restoration!

Quick Reply: Bringing one back from the grave