Sponsored by:

Is this a dealbreaker?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 01:47 AM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by jpflip
Calculation is good but it can also be an addition of many type 2, that we don't know......
True, which is what's unfortunate about how the DME records the data.

On a 20k mile car, though, I still say that's a lot. My answer changes if it has a raised redline (though I wouldn't love the fact it had a raised redline).

Just MHO. My car is on its way to having the max value of Range 1's, but it has < 300 Range 2's, and it was flashed previously (albeit with stock redline).
Old 03-02-2018, 01:59 AM
Colorado964turbo
Burning Brakes

Received 173 Likes on 102 Posts

I really like that color, but damn that’s expensive!
Old 03-02-2018, 02:14 AM
champignon
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A bit more than three years ago this dealer (not the Porsche dealer, the seller of this car in the online listing) had a couple of BMW Z3M coupes for sale, when I was in the market for one . I now have one of these, that was a single owner car I purchased directly from the original owner in Oregon. One of the Z3M Coupes this second hand dealer had looked superficially appealing, however when test driven by a forum member on another forum, it was a piece of junk with a number of obvious issues. The owner of the forum went so far as to post a warning on the sales listing for this car, that was linked to on his forum. I did not test drive that car myself so all of this is by report. I made some calls to this dealer and talked to a couple of people there and no mention was made of any of this, even on specific questioning. I did not get a warm and fuzzy feeling about this dealer, however each car is its own thing, so this comment might not be relevant to the car you are looking at, and the dealer may have even changed hands in the interim.
Old 03-02-2018, 02:28 AM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by JShirley
I am looking to buy a 2003 911 TT. I found one that has 20,000 miles on it and it’s very clean. The test drive went well with no indications of a misfire or low performance. However, one of the documents the seller had discusses the number of over revs in range 2. Also, all of the plugs were replaced a month before this service and it appears plug five was replaced again. I am having a PPI completed tomorrow and passed https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...t&CMP=atempeston the service record to mechanic. would this scare you off ? i
That's a 10% variance in compression readings between #1 and #6, the outer limit of acceptable variance.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:32 AM
NoogaSparrow
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

The concerning part for me is the DAMAGE to the spark plug in the report... too risky, I'd walk away. Don't make it an emotional purchase.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:27 PM
JShirley
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I received the ppi Friday from the independent shop. The mechanic really like the car and found no issues with it at all. However, his conclusion was that it was a good car to buy but due to the unknown reason the number 5 spark plug needed replacing and the large number of range 2 over revs, he recommended an extended warranty be purchased. I called the dealer and told them i would not be buying the car.

Thank you everyone for your comments and thoughts. I was definitely in an emotional mood and trying to convince my brain to buy the car. While it may have been a good car, the risk was to high.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:34 PM
Montescew
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The original owner sold the car 5 months after acquiring it. I hate to see things like this on the history report! You can generally rely on this the type of information when it comes to CarFax or other reports.

I believe you made a smart decision by passing on it. Be patient and you will find the right car for you.

GL!
Old 03-04-2018, 09:45 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Montescew
The original owner sold the car 5 months after acquiring it. I hate to see things like this on the history report!
Why do you hate to see things like this on the history report?
Old 03-04-2018, 11:02 PM
Montescew
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dock
Why do you hate to see things like this on the history report?
I’m from the UK, things are different over there. It would be quite rare to see a car like this purchased new and sold after only 5 months of ownership. I will not go into details, but I can assure you this is the case.

There is a drastic change taking place over here in recent years:

http://www.autonews.com/article/2016...its-11.6-years

Last edited by Montescew; 03-05-2018 at 12:02 AM.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:46 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Over-rev reports on 996 turbo's are pretty useless IMHO. Range 2's can be hit without mechanical overrev, very close to redline. On other Porsches, especially the later generation 997s with five ranges instead on two, the begin to be a bit useful.

But more puzzling is why a tech would go through with a compression check when he discovers that #5 plug is damaged when troubleshooting a #5 cyl. misfire. Hello? Change the plugs, *carefully* inspect the coils for cracking or just put in new coil packs, button it up. Then maybe check all the turbo plumbing and do a boost pressure test since you found a loose turbo line. My guess is that #5 was either damaged on installation or just was a early failure/defective plug, not some ominous sign that the engine was doomed.

But a compression and leakdown test instead of immediately going to plugs, coils, and a boost pressure check tells me the tech was more familiar with air cooled engines than the Mezger Turbo.
Old 03-05-2018, 01:39 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

I’m from the UK, things are different over there. It would be quite rare to see a car like this purchased new and sold after only 5 months of ownership.

This particular 996 Turbo might have been sold by the original owner because of financial reasons, or because he/she just didn't like the car.

There is a drastic change taking place over here in recent years:

http://www.autonews.com/article/2016...its-11.6-years
That's interesting data.

I don't intend to ever sell my 996 Turbo, which I have owned since new, and I may just have to keep all my other vehicles forever because it is difficult to find the right replacement that has "minimum tech" in the interior.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:56 PM
Montescew
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dock

This particular 996 Turbo might have been sold by the original owner because of financial reasons, or because he/she just didn't like the car.

That's interesting data.

I don't intend to ever sell my 996 Turbo, which I have owned since new, and I may just have to keep all my other vehicles forever because it is difficult to find the right replacement that has "minimum tech" in the interior.

You’re right, there are too many things to take into consideration. I’m hoping it had nothing to do w/ them not liking the car unless they bought a tip and wish they got a manual which is not the case with this car.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:43 PM
JShirley
7th Gear

pfbz... I agree that the compression test was premature based on the symptoms. My experience with car dealers is that their service is often profit driven and that many a good car has parts and service that is not required. The number of the range 2 over revs did not bother me significantly enough to pass on the car but the replacement of the damaged plug puzzled me. As the vehicle had so few hours after the service, I was not sure what issues would arise in very short order if I bought the car.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:04 PM
JShirley
7th Gear

As I noted earlier, I had passed on this vehicle and was pursuing my search for the perfect car again. My mind however kept coming back to this car which checked off every item on my list. After talking to several friends and most importantly my wife, I decided to roll the dice and buy the car. On my drive home I was prepared mentally for almost anything going wrong with the car, but I made it through without as much as a hiccup. I have now put 200 miles on the car and I have yet to find anything wrong with it other than the weak struts on the hood.

This is an amazing car that will be both pampered and pushed. I hope to join the local PCA to bring out the best the car has to offer. With your help and assistance, I hope to perform all the maintenance on the car and keep it in good shape. I have been waiting for car like this for many years and expect to hold onto it for at least a decade.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:31 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,437 Posts

Sweet ride, drive and enjoy. Don't worry about the spark plug issue. It might have not been torqued correctly and loosened up. Thus the quick replacement.

Quick Reply: Is this a dealbreaker?