Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Michelin P4S sizes, but not what we need

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 09:37 PM
TheBucketOfTruth
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 149 Posts

If you're autocrossing why wouldn't you run R888 or Nitto NT-01 or NT-03 or something like that? Or is the complaint more that you don't have a more streetable tire that's also grippy enough for autocross?
Old 03-10-2018, 10:09 PM
Mtrboatvr6
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBucketOfTruth
If you're autocrossing why wouldn't you run R888 or Nitto NT-01 or NT-03 or something like that? Or is the complaint more that you don't have a more streetable tire that's also grippy enough for autocross?
None of the tires listed above are very good for AutoX (at least short courses with long waits). They are road racing tires that take time to get up to temperature, and by the time they do, the run is over. AutoX tires are either full on Hoosier A6s or something lesser and more common like the Bridgestone RE71R, BFG Rival S etc that come up to temp quick. My complaint with the PS2 is they are too street focused for my needs. The Yokos that im running right now are doing great. Just a shame I had to go away from Michelin, because ive heard the PS4S is a good all round tire.
Old 03-10-2018, 10:14 PM
TheBucketOfTruth
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mtrboatvr6
None of the tires listed above are very good for AutoX (at least short courses with long waits). They are road racing tires that take time to get up to temperature, and by the time they do, the run is over. AutoX tires are either full on Hoosier A6s or something lesser and more common like the Bridgestone RE71R, BFG Rival S etc that come up to temp quick. My complaint with the PS2 is they are too street focused for my needs. The Yokos that im running right now are doing great. Just a shame I had to go away from Michelin, because ive heard the PS4S is a good all round tire.
Ah I see. Thank you for clarifying this.
Old 03-11-2018, 04:35 PM
bugeyemilo
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mtrboatvr6
None of the tires listed above are very good for AutoX (at least short courses with long waits).My complaint with the PS2 is they are too street focused for my needs. The Yokos that im running right now are doing great. Just a shame I had to go away from Michelin, because ive heard the PS4S is a good all round tire.

Bingo.

its Yoko's till we get a PS4S in our sizes
Old 03-12-2018, 08:00 AM
rabbit1445
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are the Pilot Sport Cup 2s not a viable option for those looking for something more aggressive than the PS2s in OEM sizes, especially considering they are often for sale at a cheaper price?
Old 03-12-2018, 09:57 AM
Third-Reef
Three Wheelin'

Received 160 Likes on 114 Posts

I have heard that the PS cup2 are a great tire but a little dicy in the rain and wear fast.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:01 PM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Third-Reef
I have heard that the PS cup2 are a great tire but a little dicy in the rain and wear fast.
Yeah, I think they may be too track-centric for aggressive street driving, but I'd love to be proven wrong. I like the Yok Advan AD08Rs, but they're now very loud and of course no longer available.

The PS Cup 2s do come in 225/40/18, 235/40/18 as well as the 295/30s.

​​​​​​​anyone?
Old 03-12-2018, 01:30 PM
bugeyemilo
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The tread wear rating of the PS Cup 2's is: 190 AA

The tread wear rating of the Advan A052 is: 200 AA

The tread wear rating of the PS2's is: 220 AA

The Advan is about 70 bucks more per set in Stock size 18''..

PS2's are about 178 bucks cheaper than the Advan's in stock size 18"

a 190 tread wear is going to wear fairly fast under street driving, depending on your alignment etc.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:38 AM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rabbit1445
Are the Pilot Sport Cup 2s not a viable option for those looking for something more aggressive than the PS2s in OEM sizes, especially considering they are often for sale at a cheaper price?
I was thinking about them as an option as well since they get really good reviews. However, they are a more track focused tire that are streetable. So my understanding is that like the NT01's, they take a lap or two on track to heat up. Which means they'll never get warm enough on street or even aggressive canyon driving to take advantage of the performance of these tires. That being said, I'd love to hear from someone who has real world experience with them vs. PS2's. Afterall, they are OEM tires on cars such as the 918 and 458. So I'd think that they wouldn't come as an OEM tire unless it performed at least fairly well on street/canyon type driving and not all out track runs.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:55 AM
rabbit1445
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
I was thinking about them as an option as well since they get really good reviews. However, they are a more track focused tire that are streetable. So my understanding is that like the NT01's, they take a lap or two on track to heat up. Which means they'll never get warm enough on street or even aggressive canyon driving to take advantage of the performance of these tires. That being said, I'd love to hear from someone who has real world experience with them vs. PS2's. Afterall, they are OEM tires on cars such as the 918 and 458. So I'd think that they wouldn't come as an OEM tire unless it performed at least fairly well on street/canyon type driving and not all out track runs.
Being that they do come as an OEM tire on some cars is why I am leaning towards buying a set here in the next few months.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:06 PM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by rabbit1445
Being that they do come as an OEM tire on some cars is why I am leaning towards buying a set here in the next few months.
If you do buy them, please share your feedback and observations!
Old 03-14-2018, 03:24 PM
TheBucketOfTruth
Burning Brakes

I haven't driven them but I can't imagine pilot sport cups are any worse or more aggressive than Nitto NT-01s which seem to be totally fine for the street as long as it's dry and not super cold. Some of this will come down to where you live too.
Old 03-01-2020, 06:24 PM
cansis
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I also just wrote Michelin to add another request for the PS4S’s in 295/30/18. I’m a long time Michelin customer and loved the PSS’s on my E46 M3 and 987 Cayman S for its streetability and performance at track days. I picked up a 996 C4S last year with Sumitomo HTR ZIIIs already on it. I just had to pull the trigger on new tires and sadly went with General G Max RS’s due to me not being able to justify the cost for the old PS2s. If the PS4S’s were available, I’d have no problem spending the same as what’s being charged for the PS2’s, but at least than half the price for a set, I thought I’d give the Generals a try and hopefully by the time they wear out, Michelin will have something newer/better available.
Old 03-01-2020, 06:30 PM
Mtrboatvr6
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by cansis
I also just wrote Michelin to add another request for the PS4S’s in 295/30/18. I’m a long time Michelin customer and loved the PSS’s on my E46 M3 and 987 Cayman S for its streetability and performance at track days. I picked up a 996 C4S last year with Sumitomo HTR ZIIIs already on it. I just had to pull the trigger on new tires and sadly went with General G Max RS’s due to me not being able to justify the cost for the old PS2s. If the PS4S’s were available, I’d have no problem spending the same as what’s being charged for the PS2’s, but at least than half the price for a set, I thought I’d give the Generals a try and hopefully by the time they wear out, Michelin will have something newer/better available.
​​​​​​Wish they would, but I wouldn't hold your breath. Ive sent them multiple emails over the 8 years ive owned the car and just receive the canned "yeah we'll look into it" email. I dont understand still creating PS2s when the Supersport and 4S exist. I guess we should just be happy they still create the OEM tire for it. I went to Yokohama because of this, and havent looked back. Give me a reason to come back Michelin... please?
The following users liked this post:
cansis (03-02-2020)

Quick Reply: New Michelin P4S sizes, but not what we need