Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

coolant loss. what to check before thinking "catastrophic" failure

Old 02-20-2018, 06:17 PM
gtred
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow! those pics make me nervous.

When I bought the car, I had thought that the clutch was shot. I just figured that I would be pulling the engine to replace the clutch/slave/mc and would deal with welding up the coolant stubs at that time... and have all new and a good piece of mind. As it turns out, I was lucky. My mechanic merely bled the clutch lines and the clutch funk largely went away... no need to pull the engine, upgrade the clutch mc/slave... so I didn't get in to weld the cooling stubs. Go figure, now I'm worried about the coolant lines and am putting up with finding the clutch release point . I am also putting off tuning as I don't want to burn up the clutch (unknown condition).

Sometimes getting lucky is not good for the piece of mind... but there might be another story there. lol
Old 02-20-2018, 07:03 PM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Received 159 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by gtred
Wow! those pics make me nervous.

When I bought the car, I had thought that the clutch was shot. I just figured that I would be pulling the engine to replace the clutch/slave/mc and would deal with welding up the coolant stubs at that time... and have all new and a good piece of mind. As it turns out, I was lucky. My mechanic merely bled the clutch lines and the clutch funk largely went away... no need to pull the engine, upgrade the clutch mc/slave... so I didn't get in to weld the cooling stubs. Go figure, now I'm worried about the coolant lines and am putting up with finding the clutch release point . I am also putting off tuning as I don't want to burn up the clutch (unknown condition).

Sometimes getting lucky is not good for the piece of mind... but there might be another story there. lol
I remember feeling the same way ;-)
Old 02-21-2018, 02:22 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

worry is less a sign of potential issues, than it is a peculiarity of personality. maintain the car. fix what breaks.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:44 AM
gtred
Racer

I pulled the nose off yesterday to check for leaks, I had wanted to vacuum out a few leaves that had gotten picked up anyway. I decided to pull off the ducting and A/C evaporators to get a better look.... really glad I did:
Business card, credit card receipt, cigarette butts and a lot more leaves.
While both sides showed similar debries and dampness, I couldn't tell if it was coolant seepage or if it was just wet from the road. I can see how this packed-in wet junk could wick up water; freeze/expand and really cause damage to your radiator tank seams. I had no idea it was so dirty by just a quick look thru the bumper cover.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:50 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Uhhhh..........never mind.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:53 AM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Received 159 Likes on 130 Posts

OMG this one is the worst one I ever saw!!!! You will gain a lot in cooling when cleaned ;-) Do not hesitate to remove the condenser to clean in between....
Old 02-23-2018, 12:47 PM
T Kono
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 87 Posts

Yep, been there. Cleaned mine, ran fine for several months, then the LF radiator failed. Not at the tank seam, but the lower tube area formerly covered by dirt, trash, dead bird, etc. Freezing not an issue here, but simple age. Replaced it with an AKG unit, next one to fail will get both remaining units replaced.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:29 PM
gtred
Racer

"Uhhhh" ...Yes Dock, these are coming out! New hoses and radiators should arrive early next week. Someone here once mentioned that "on a 15 year old car, things are either broken, or are in the process of breaking". These seem to fit that bill.

How hard are the side radiators to get out? Do you have to disassemble the freon lines to remove the a/c condensors, or can you merely slip the radiators out from behind?
Old 02-23-2018, 10:08 PM
996TWINS
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by T Kono
Yep, been there. Cleaned mine, ran fine for several months, then the LF radiator failed. Not at the tank seam, but the lower tube area formerly covered by dirt, trash, dead bird, etc. Freezing not an issue here, but simple age. Replaced it with an AKG unit, next one to fail will get both remaining units replaced.
Had 2 of 3 radiators with slight fluid leaks. Replaced all 3 of them with aluminum CSF brand.

Here in SoCal you got to get all the cooling you can here in the summer.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:15 PM
Montescew
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’m sure your car will run much better after replacing those parts! I look forward to hearing the results.

GL!
Old 02-23-2018, 10:16 PM
Montescew
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there a recommended interval to remove the front bumper and clean the radiators?
Old 02-24-2018, 03:40 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Montescew
Is there a recommended interval to remove the front bumper and clean the radiators?
Once a year if you drive it regularly, the radiators and shrouds pick up and hold lots of debris as seen in the pics some have posted.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:09 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

"Uhhhh" ...Yes Dock, these are coming out! New hoses and radiators should arrive early next week. Someone here once mentioned that "on a 15 year old car, things are either broken, or are in the process of breaking". These seem to fit that bill.

How hard are the side radiators to get out? Do you have to disassemble the freon lines to remove the a/c condensors, or can you merely slip the radiators out from behind?
they slip out without removing any ac lines or rads. Just carefully swing them out of the way. Consider replacing the hoses while you are in there.
Read this thread
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...placement.html

Old 02-24-2018, 07:48 PM
gtred
Racer

There's some progress now!
Old 02-24-2018, 08:00 PM
gtred
Racer

Anyone know what "92U" means?