Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many miles would you be comfortable with?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 09:27 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan A
So 100k miles only makes 15-20k difference in price?
Yes, I think it's a fair assessment, locally. Not globally, meaning mileage cost is very nonlinear obviously. 0 miles to 20k miles: $100k difference maybe, or something like that. 500k miles vs 520k miles: $0 difference. for 60k to 160k, $15k to $20k sounds about right to me.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:03 PM
wyo
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

High mileage scares me on sports cars a lot more than on a car like my 96 land cruiser that had 85K on it when I bought it ( now 240K miles)
I think that most of the expense would be for external components rather than engine internals - that said in my first year of 996TT ownership on a 33k miles car and I have replaced alternator, battery, clutch master cylinder, slave cylinder accumulator, oil pressure sending unit and ignition switch - Time as well as miles is a factor
Old 02-17-2018, 09:07 PM
KM1959
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I wouldn't consider any Turbo with over 50K miles. Lower mileage cars just feel "tighter". Suspension, doors, windows, seats,... all feel better. It makes perfect sense, everything in a car wears from use, not just the drivetrain. I checked out at least 15 Turbos (mileage 44K -89K) before I bought my 25K mile example. EVERY single one of them ran terrific, some even felt like they had a little more power than mine but, none felt as solid or presented as well. I knew it 5 seconds into the test drive.

I didn't always operate that way. Partly because I didn't always have the funds but mostly because I was naive. However, once I learned to look for the right stuff it made the car buying decision much easier. I only wish someone would've clued me in earlier.
Old 02-18-2018, 12:10 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

^ I agree and disagree, the ideology makes sense but age is more relevant than anything at this point, they old...
drive some horrible low mile cars, some great high mile cars... TLC is most important to how they drive at this point.
Old 02-18-2018, 04:42 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

+1^ A babied 150k mile car that has had a solid maintenance history will be a smarter purchase than a 50k mile car that was neglected and beaten. These cars will have certain things go wrong as time goes on. If they were promptly and properly serviced, you don't have to pay for these repairs. PS: Having bought 2 turbos with dead wings was the best thing I could have ever done...
Old 02-18-2018, 11:50 AM
KM1959
Racer

Well of course a 50K mile beaten car wouldn't be a good car choice - unless it is a very collectable car. It is really easy to talk extremes.

My method have served me very well. Not only have I have been able to enjoy pristene cars without significant mechanical issues, and this is important, when it came to moving on to something else it made selling them very easy. Usually without even advertising. The money I spent up front was returned at resale. Patience is truly a virtue when car shopping.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:38 PM
Montescew
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KM1959
I wouldn't consider any Turbo with over 50K miles. Lower mileage cars just feel "tighter". Suspension, doors, windows, seats,... all feel better. It makes perfect sense, everything in a car wears from use, not just the drivetrain. I checked out at least 15 Turbos (mileage 44K -89K) before I bought my 25K mile example. EVERY single one of them ran terrific, some even felt like they had a little more power than mine but, none felt as solid or presented as well. I knew it 5 seconds into the test drive.

I didn't always operate that way. Partly because I didn't always have the funds but mostly because I was naive. However, once I learned to look for the right stuff it made the car buying decision much easier. I only wish someone would've clued me in earlier.
I do not agree w/ this statement. My car has lower mileage like yours, but there are too many things to consider. I know for a fact there is a 50k+ example out there that feels “tighter” than some w/ lower miles. Also, the lower mileage car might feel tighter on the test drive but sat a good amount of its life which is definitely not a good thing. I’m in the car business and this is generally an inherent theory many people have about cars. What you said is all relative to so many factors I cannot explain.

The maintenance history and records are what matters if you ask me. That’s just my two cents.

Last edited by Montescew; 02-20-2018 at 11:11 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:17 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

pussies lol.. I'm comfortable with mine at 150k
Old 02-21-2018, 03:01 AM
KM1959
Racer

Originally Posted by Montescew

I do not agree w/ this statement. My car has lower mileage like yours, but there are too many things to consider. I know for a fact there is a 50k+ example out there that feels “tighter” than some w/ lower miles. Also, the lower mileage car might feel tighter on the test drive but sat a good amount of its life which is definitely not a good thing. I’m in the car business and this is generally an inherent theory many people have about cars. What you said is all relative to so many factors I cannot explain.

The maintenance history and records are what matters if you ask me. That’s just my two cents.
It's totally cool that you disagree and especially cool for those who looked at my car before me and passed on it. Of course there are exceptions to every rule but I'm not lucky enough to hope for the exception. However, if you know what to look for you can make your own "luck".

Two years ago I got a tight, brand new-looking, trouble-free car for way under 40K - the least expensive car that I looked at. Seriously, how can you disagree with that?
Old 02-21-2018, 10:35 PM
Montescew
Advanced

It's totally cool that you disagree and especially cool for those who looked at my car before me and passed on it. Of course there are exceptions to every rule but I'm not lucky enough to hope for the exception. However, if you know what to look for you can make your own "luck".

Two years ago I got a tight, brand new-looking, trouble-free car for way under 40K - the least expensive car that I looked at. Seriously, how can you disagree with that?
So you acquired a 996TT w/ 25k miles for “way under $40k”?! I’m shocked other people passed on a car like that prior to you. Especially considering it looks brand new and is mechanically sound based off what you said.

Just out of curiosity, does the car have a clean title? If what you state is completely true, I cannot “disagree with that”.

Last edited by Montescew; 02-21-2018 at 11:03 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:49 AM
KM1959
Racer

Originally Posted by Montescew

So you acquired a 996TT w/ 25k miles for “way under $40k”?! I’m shocked other people passed on a car like that prior to you. Especially considering it looks brand new and is mechanically sound based off what you said.

Just out of curiosity, does the car have a clean title? If what you state is completely true, I cannot “disagree with that”.
Yes, clean title, not even a bumper re-spray. I have no idea how many people passed on it. It was this time of year, but very rainy in Southern California, and nobody leaves their house when it rains here - especially to check out Porsches. He was asking what it was worth but I told him was more than I wanted to spend. He said come check it out and if I liked it to make an offer. So I did. It had hideous old wheels and tires that were so old and hard you couldn't hardly hear the engine. But the car was so solid and looked like new. He was a super nice guy and explained that he needed the money to buy a bigger house for his expanding family. I asked him what he needed, he told me, and I wrote him a check for the car plus some extra parts (above and beyond the car cost). He also had a thick folder of maintenance records - plus the original window sticker. Then, when I picked it up a couple of days later he even had the oil changed for me. It was absolutely the best car buying experience I've had. I hope he and his family are doing well.

Sometimes I get bored and almost traded it in for a 991 Turbo S - the dealer offered me more than I originally paid - but I couldn't give up my car.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:21 AM
greencalex
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I got my car at around 140k miles, and it is now pushing 170k miles.

It had a lot of wear-and-tear needs, and once those were addressed, I was around $25k “all in”; but given where prices are these days, I think I was pretty lucky to find the car.

Given the trans rebuild, low 30s seems reasonable to me. Particularly as I will admit that my trans seems a little “loose”, and a rebuild is likely just a matter of time.

To me, no TT is likely to accumulate a lot of miles unless someone is using it to regularly do a long commute. As long as routine maintenance is done, that sort of driving is pretty low-stress. I’d probably be more skeptical of a 30k-mile track warrier...

I drank the Kool-Aid and survived,
Alex
Old 02-22-2018, 01:30 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 402 Likes on 254 Posts

You state that you have an experienced Porsche mechanic close by. To me, that should be a determining factor in your comfort level in owning a high mileage Porsche.The opinions you receive on this board will in large part depend on the experiences individuals have had with high mileage vehicles; bad experiences, don’t touch it, good experiences, go for it. Personally, I would not have a problem buying a higher mileage, well maintained vehicle; especially a Mezger engine'd 911. If I had negative experiences in the past maybe I’d have a different view. I understand the TT is more complex but the engine/tranny is robust. Other ancillary parts aren't that much more expensive as NA Porsches. Price out alternators as an example.Over the last 20 or so years, I’ve always thought "low mileage" has been over rated and over rewarded by the market. Many will disagree.

But I say this for several reasons:
  1. The magic 100k mile figure is a relic from the 70’s in my opinion when many cars would either rust out before 100k miles, or there were major engine issues after 100k miles. I’ve never seen a rusted modern Porsche. Modern lubricants, better gasolines, and tighter manufacturing tolerances allow engines to last longer.
  2. Many components that can cause maintenance problems have absolutely nothing to do with mileage and everything to do with time. Circuit board components for example fail due to age, heat, and humidity, not mileage. Most modern circuit boards used in cars are conformal coated to limit humidity impact, but this does nothing to limit the impact of age. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conformal_coating
  3. Synthetic lubricants have drastically reduced engine wear. Better gasolines have eliminated fuel system issues associated with gas heavies and varnishes. I recall scraping sticky varnish off carburetor parts due to the gasoline used in the 70’s. The last 10 years, all my fuel system parts have looked clean and new.
Lastly, I have several high mileage cars that I wouldn’t hesitate to drive cross country. My M5 has 150k miles and starts every time, pulls like crazy, and runs with no issues. My SC has 215k miles and the engine has never been touched. With headers and Dansk dual out exhaust, it runs better than it did 34 years ago when I bought it. The only maintenance I’ve deferred on my SC is replacing the windshield washer because the car has seen rain maybe 5 times in 34 years. Despite the added complexity, I feel a 996TT will be just a robust as my SC or my 993. Bottom line pick up a high mileage car for a fair price that’s been maintained and has records, then enjoy the ride. Don’t accept one with deferred maintenance. Once you buy it, it’s no longer deferred maintenance, it’s transferred maintenance.IMO.

Last edited by autobonrun; 02-22-2018 at 01:49 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:31 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Yes, clean title, not even a bumper re-spray. I have no idea how many people passed on it. It was this time of year, but very rainy in Southern California, and nobody leaves their house when it rains here - especially to check out Porsches. He was asking what it was worth but I told him was more than I wanted to spend. He said come check it out and if I liked it to make an offer. So I did. It had hideous old wheels and tires that were so old and hard you couldn't hardly hear the engine. But the car was so solid and looked like new. He was a super nice guy and explained that he needed the money to buy a bigger house for his expanding family. I asked him what he needed, he told me, and I wrote him a check for the car plus some extra parts (above and beyond the car cost). He also had a thick folder of maintenance records - plus the original window sticker. Then, when I picked it up a couple of days later he even had the oil changed for me. It was absolutely the best car buying experience I've had. I hope he and his family are doing well.

Sometimes I get bored and almost traded it in for a 991 Turbo S - the dealer offered me more than I originally paid - but I couldn't give up my car.
That's awesome for you, but you obviously know you got very lucky, in addition to having patience and negotiating skills.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:08 AM
Montescew
Advanced

Originally Posted by manimal
That's awesome for you, but you obviously know you got very lucky, in addition to having patience and negotiating skills.
No doubt about it and very lucky is an understatement!! I’m setting a weather alert for SoCal, I plan on making trips out there during the rainy season to acquire cars.

Last edited by Montescew; 02-23-2018 at 12:38 AM.

Quick Reply: How many miles would you be comfortable with?