Sponsored by:

cheap weight loss

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 08:59 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
No question Porsche had some reason for putting in the steel version, and no one should ever modify their cars in a way their not comfortable with, but it's a bit hard to logically reason why it would be important on a Turbo, but not GT2 and not a 997 C4S...

You frequently see replies in other modification threads along the lines of 'so you think you're smarter than a Porsche engineer?' But Porsche engineers heel to several masters... Cost, regulatory, performance, marketing, etc. and often their choices aren't driven by 'best'.
As I said before, it's a weight thing. All the lightweight 2wd cars get this brace including GT3/GT3/Cup/RSR. Do I think the aluminum brace will be overstressed on the TT? I doubt it as Cup/RSR on slicks will pull much greater Gs and impart huge loads into the suspension. Again, it's up to each owner to decide what they are comfortable with. Stock 6TT weights 3500. My car weights just over 3100 which is slightly lighter than a stock GT2. I've broken numerous wheel hubs on my car but I'm not sweating the cross brace. This is out of marketing literature for the GT2...

"The rear suspension starts off with a multi-link control arm configuration affixed to a pair of massive cast-aluminum abutments. An aluminum crossmember links the two sides; this is changed from the steel component used in the 911 Turbo, as the absence of AWD in the GT2 changes the loads carried by this component."
Old 02-11-2018, 09:01 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RDS928S
Powdrhound, do u have one installed on ur car?

Thxs
Old 02-11-2018, 10:32 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by powdrhound
"...as the absence of AWD in the GT2 changes the loads carried by this component."
There you have it.

Could it be that Porsche engineers are in fact smart? Has anyone run the engineering on the aluminum piece installed on an AWD 996 Turbo?
Old 02-11-2018, 10:51 PM
T Kono
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 87 Posts

Well, looks like I leaped before looking. Not the first time. Anyone in SoCal want to buy my $40 aluminum paperweight?
Old 02-11-2018, 10:52 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,442 Posts

I would bet the steel version is used with AWD because of a front collision issue. The steel unit can probably better control the force/mass sent rearward via the front dif and drive shaft. Keeping those components from possibly thrusting upward into the passenger compartment.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:21 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
I would bet the steel version is used with AWD because of a front collision issue. The steel unit can probably better control the force/mass sent rearward via the front dif and drive shaft. Keeping those components from possibly thrusting upward into the passenger compartment.
Yep, that’s what I’m thinking. Just like I said in my post #1 and #14 on the first page, I bet it’s a crashworthiness issue with the drivetrain being pushed back via the front diff/cardan shaft. I don’t see a TT developing much of a load on the rear crossmember with its skinny 225/295 street tires.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:51 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

...I bet it’s a crashworthiness issue with the drivetrain being pushed back via the front diff/cardan shaft.
So not because of the "portly weight" of the 996 Turbo.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:21 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dock
So not because of the "portly weight" of the 996 Turbo.
As I’ve said several times in this thread, my guess is that it’s due to the heavy weight and/or the awd system. Greater vehicle mass of the TT will naturally result in a greater load imparted on the structure and it’s components in a crash. It’s just a guess. Interpret it how you see fit or whatever will put you at ease. It honestly makes no difference to me. If you wanna argue semantics as you so often love to do, then you’re simply barking up the wrong tree...

Last edited by powdrhound; 02-12-2018 at 04:37 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:37 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,722 Likes on 1,463 Posts

Not to beat a dead horse, just the engineer in me coming out a bit. I'm comfortable putting on the aluminum part, and plan to do so before spring.

It appears from John's first post and from looking at PET part lists. that:

- 996 generation. All non-GT get steel. All GT get Aluminum
- 997.1 generation. Turbo retains steel. All others, including C4S get Aluminum.
- 997.2 generation. All, including turbo, Aluminum. Same part.
- 991.1 generation. All, including turbo, Aluminum. Same part.

Draw whatever conclusions you prefer...

Last edited by pfbz; 02-12-2018 at 05:24 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:54 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

As I’ve said several times in this thread, my guess is that it’s due to the heavy weight and/or the awd system.
I believe you mentioned AWD only once before replying to Carlo's post regarding the possibility that the steel brace might be because of crash engineering considerations regarding movement of the AWD/components. The other two mentions were regarding just the weight of the 996 Turbo ("portly" used once; that certainly sets the tone.). I believe there is a difference between engineering something simply because of weight saving considerations, as in reducing the weight of a car in an attempt to improve objective/subjective assessments, and engineering something because of considerations regarding the movement of that weight in a crash; that is, making the car more crash worthy.

At least you posted up information that seems to indicate that the steel unit is there because of the AWD (as possibly indicated through the GT2 information) and how the AWD system crash engineering may be the focal point of the substantial steel member; you and Carlo seem to have settled closer to this instead of the Porsche engineers just being over zealous in their engineering. People can obviously choose to blow off engineering information, but it seems the OCD (my tag) weight reduction bandwagon may sometimes need to be considered in terms of something other than "this is lighter". At least one person here has decided against the aluminum piece because of the additional information. Maybe he can recoup his money.

So yes, words do matter.
Old 02-12-2018, 05:36 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pfbz
Not to beat a dead horse, just the engineer in me coming out a bit. I'm comfortable putting on the aluminum part, and plan to do so before spring.

It appears from John's first post and from looking at PET part lists. that:

- 996 generation. All non-GT get steel. All GT get Aluminum
- 997.1 generation. Turbo retains steel. All others, including C4S get Aluminum.
- 997.2 generation. All, including turbo, Aluminum. Same part.
- 991.1 generation. All, including turbo, Aluminum. Same part.

Draw whatever conclusions you prefer...
Great information.

The conclusion I draw is that the engineers had concerns with the strength of the aluminum version early in the developement of the water cooled 911 chassis. Over time, and with a plethora of real world crash data, they concluded the aluminum version was more than adequate.
Old 02-12-2018, 05:52 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The conclusion I draw is that the engineers had concerns with the strength of the aluminum version early in the developement of the water cooled 911 chassis. Over time, and with a plethora of real world crash data, they concluded the aluminum version was more than adequate.
So PAG gets a plethora real world crash data? Do they get the crashed cars and the dynamic crash data so that they can run their own calculations? Maybe this happens in Europe, but I'd be surprised if they get accident reconstruction data and/or the accident cars here in the U.S.
Old 02-12-2018, 06:03 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

So PAG gets a plethora real world crash data? Do they get the crashed cars and the dynamic crash data so that they can run their own calculations? Maybe this happens in Europe, but I'd be surprised if they get accident reconstruction data and/or the accident cars here in the U.S.
Yes, PAG tracks crashes world wide via their authorized and affiliated repair facilities. As far as I know all major OEMs do the same. It is a legal thing. They want to know about a possible structural defect before the lawyers do.
Old 02-12-2018, 06:22 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Yes, PAG tracks crashes world wide via their authorized and affiliated repair facilities. As far as I know all major OEMs do the same. It is a legal thing. They want to know about a possible structural defect before the lawyers do.
So how do they get the accident reconstruction data? My neighbor is an engineer who works at a company that among other things does accident reconstruction. The data they gather and engineering they do, for legal purposes, is very complex and takes a lot of on-site work, vehicle assessment and overall engineering to produce relevant data.

The last time one of my vehicles was totaled, it was simply hauled off to the crash lot to be crushed or sold for parts. There was no accident reconstruction. No one on Earth has any idea what happened to the car or its individual parts as a result of the crash, meaning there is absolutely no data regarding the consequences that the impact may have had on any part of the car.
Old 02-12-2018, 06:34 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

So how do they get the accident reconstruction data? My neighbor is an engineer who works at a company that among other things does accident reconstruction. The data they gather and engineering they do, for legal purposes, is very complex and takes a lot of on-site work, vehicle assessment and overall engineering to produce relevant data.

The last time one of my vehicles was totaled, it was simply hauled off to the crash lot to be crushed or sold for parts. There was no accident reconstruction. No one on Earth has any idea what happened to the car or its individual parts as a result of the crash, meaning there is absolutely no data regarding the consequences that the impact may have had on any part of the car.
I never said Porsche collected accident reconstruction data involving onsite work.

Quick Reply: cheap weight loss