Sponsored by:

996 intro

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 11:23 AM
Solojoe
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 intro

Hello all. I'm new here and hope this is the place for an intro. Just bought my new to me 2001 996TT, seal gray. Its my 4th Porsche but the first in 7 or 8 years. I had forgotten how amazing these cars are but the 996TT is way different than the others I've had. Of course, I'm learning my lessons early in P car ownership. Literally, on the drive home after buying it the check engine light came on. Bad coil. Replaced all 6 and plugs plus the hydraulic clutch assist (??). Then it snowed twice so it sat for another week. I've had it a month and now it won't start. Key fob won't unlock the doors (put new 2032 battery in it) and, I'll be darned, the key won't go fully into the lock to manually unlock it. I only have one key. So back to Pat W tomorrow. I'm not complaining. I hate i haven't been able to drive it, of course, but the pride of ownership keeps me smiling. Plus, its hard to mile up sittin' in the garage. Anyway. I'm Joe. And hello.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:37 AM
s65e90
Drifting

Received 721 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by Solojoe
Hello all. I'm new here and hope this is the place for an intro. Just bought my new to me 2001 996TT, seal gray. Its my 4th Porsche but the first in 7 or 8 years. I had forgotten how amazing these cars are but the 996TT is way different than the others I've had. Of course, I'm learning my lessons early in P car ownership. Literally, on the drive home after buying it the check engine light came on. Bad coil. Replaced all 6 and plugs plus the hydraulic clutch assist (??). Then it snowed twice so it sat for another week. I've had it a month and now it won't start. Key fob won't unlock the doors (put new 2032 battery in it) and, I'll be darned, the key won't go fully into the lock to manually unlock it. I only have one key. So back to Pat W tomorrow. I'm not complaining. I hate i haven't been able to drive it, of course, but the pride of ownership keeps me smiling. Plus, its hard to mile up sittin' in the garage. Anyway. I'm Joe. And hello.
Congrats and welcome. Know that when the car sits for days, week or more the key will shut down and not work. You need to stick it in the door and turn it and it will re-energize.

Get yourself a manual if you don't have it. Tons of quirks explained.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:42 AM
Solojoe
6th Gear

Thank you for the reply. I have a manual....its locked inside! Plus the key only inserts about 90% of the way into the cylinder. I've tried 25 times. Its not too cold to freeze. The car is spotless. I can't see any debris in the keyhole. I'm puzzled.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:50 AM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Thank you for the reply. I have a manual....its locked inside! Plus the key only inserts about 90% of the way into the cylinder. I've tried 25 times. Its not too cold to freeze. The car is spotless. I can't see any debris in the keyhole. I'm puzzled.
Well that's a whole different problem than the key fob not unlocking the door. As S65e90 stated, the key fob won't work after the car sits for a few days, I think in my case it's around 5 days. I need to manually unlock the door. Then the car will start.

Sounds like something's either wrong with your lock or your key?
Old 01-21-2018, 12:08 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Try the passenger side?
Old 01-21-2018, 12:10 PM
Solojoe
6th Gear

Passenger side doesnt have a key hole.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:25 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Passenger side doesnt have a key hole.
The ignition switch on these is common failure and is a $20 part, this could be the reason.
Mine finally went this winter too and it's an easy DIY if you're so inclined.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:27 PM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Received 159 Likes on 130 Posts

Did you try to spray lubricant inside the key hole also a little bit of oil on the key before you insert it.... I just had this problem with my bimmer and it work.....
Old 01-22-2018, 09:31 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

You might have to disconnect/reconnect the battery to "wake" the car up so you can open it with the remote. Frunk release cable is routed towards the passenger side behind the wheel liner. Some folks have moved it to behind the tow hook plug. Maybe you will get lucky?
Pull the side marker light out, metal spring clip on the rear molded in plastic lip on front. Get your flashlight and coat-hanger to hook it out.
Worst case remove passenger side front wheel and pull out the push pins that hold the wheel liner and go in from there.
Wheel lock stuck in the frunk/glovebox? You are making this difficult. Get a torx bit or 12 point socket that you can pound over the wheel lock and toss the damn thing when you get it out.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:14 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by fpb111
Frunk release cable is routed towards the passenger side behind the wheel liner. Some folks have moved it to behind the tow hook plug. Maybe you will get lucky.
that's really good advice. mine has for years been re-routed so it lays flush in the headlamp enclosure just below the rubber seal. dead battery? all that's needed is a needle nose to grab and pull the fishhooked manual catch to pop the frunk. good call.

OP welcome back to the 911 platform. I've had many 911's also. but there is nothing like a 500/600 hp 911. nothing "old" or dated anyway enjoy it.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:37 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome. Minor setback, though frustrating. Lots of good advice so far... in addition, there is a wire loop behind driver side tail lamp. Force lamp upward while fishing with hooked wire. Grab wire loop and pull, back lid will pop open. Hook up battery charger to + post behind black cap next to oil filter. The ground - to the post at the air box or the latching mechanism. Charge the battery. Hopefully the fob will open it up. But it might not, waiting for the key to be inserted into the door lock and turned. Keep us posted on what finally works.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:48 PM
JC Lacayo
Pro

Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

1. Congrats!
2. That's weird about the key not completely inserting. Anyone around there with curious fingers? (i.e., small children who want to go fro a drive and the popsicle stick doesn't work like a key should)

I got a new battery a year ago and now the car can sit for a month, and still start on the 1st try. I know. I need to drive it more, but so friggin busy.

Quick Reply: 996 intro