Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many of you Daily Drive your TT thru the snow of winter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 10:34 AM
Berra
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I know what salt does to a car, mo matter how much you try to protect it. I'd rather not just because of that!

I'd be happy to put studded rally tires on and go nuts on a frozen lake though.
Old 12-21-2017, 12:05 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

I've been thinking/talking about exactly this idea for years... I really need to get it done someday

Originally Posted by pfbz
I've been looking for the right second turbo to buy and turn into an all-weather rallye style car... Raised slightly on performance coil-overs, no lips, gravel flaps, underbody protection, all terrain tires. Running gear is pretty close to perfect for a build like this as it comes from the factory. Unfortunately even cosmetically challenged 996 turbo's are hard to find at a decent price...

Sort of a 996 Turbo creation inspired by Leh Keen's absolutely amazing air-cooled Safari 911 cars.

Would sure beat the crap over one of the overpriced, under powered, poorly engineered Land Rover Defenders selling for boatloads on BAT as a winter beater / light duty trail runner.

https://youtu.be/LWNgs0mvoew
Old 12-22-2017, 10:44 AM
greencalex
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I "daily drive" (actually about 3 days a week) my car on a 200+ mile (total) commute, and while I generally don't go to the office if "inconvenient" levels of snow are forecast, I've been caught in pretty heavy white stuff many times.

Car seems to drive just fine, and that is even with a center-diff that I don't think is working 100% right.

Mind you, it does "take its toll"; after just one season of snow, my new turbo heat-shields have already started to rust pretty badly, and there is not a single metal fastener under the car that does not show corrosion. Oh, and I've have a couple of the "studs" that hold the splash-shields on, break-off due to corrosion where they go into the floor-pan.

My plan is to start swapping fasteners for stainless ones as I do various service tasks, and to find someone to weld-in (and reseal) the failed studs, but now that winter is with us again, all that will have to wait until the Spring.

Oh, and the sand/salt actually sand-blasted the paint off part of the inner lips of the fenders. I at least got around to repainting those areas before the snows hit...

Mind you, this commute is what I bought the car for, and I always prefer Road Warriors to Garage Queens, but as I said, "it takes its toll"...

Last edited by greencalex; 12-22-2017 at 03:15 PM.
Old 12-22-2017, 02:23 PM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

The more I look around I am leaning toward a 4S with a well sorted IMS/RMS record. I have had 4 of them and they were all great cars. Actually good MPG's and reliable. Plus I have tons of parts sitting around in the basement that I could use either on the TT or the 4S.
Old 12-22-2017, 03:24 PM
s65e90
Drifting

Received 723 Likes on 501 Posts

Originally Posted by greencalex
I "daily drive" (actually about 3 days a week) my car on a 200+ mile (total) commute, and while I generally don't go to the office if "inconvenient" levels of snow are forecast, I've been caught in pretty heavy white stuff many times.

Car seems to drive just fine, and that is even with a center-diff that I don't think is working 100% right.

Mind you, it does "take its toll"; after just one season of snow, my new turbo heat-shields have already started to rust pretty badly, and there is not a single metal fastener under the car that does not show corrosion. Oh, and I've have a couple of the "studs" that hold the splash-shields on, break-off due to corrosion where they go into the floor-pan.

My plan is to start swapping fasteners for stainless ones as I do various service tasks, and to find someone to weld-in (and reseal) the failed studs, but now that winter is with us again, all that will have to wait until the Spring.

Oh, and the sand/salt actually sand-blasted the paint off part of the inner lips of the fenders. I at least got around to repainting those areas before the snows hit...

Mind you, this commute is what I bought the car for, and I always prefer Road Warriors to Garage Queens, but as I said, "it takes its toll"...

I never thought about those studs and the issues, but yeah I can see that being a prob. Think about spraying the entire underside in fluid film or something similar as it will help tremendously once you have everything replaced and new.
Old 12-22-2017, 06:28 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

You guys are my heroes.
Old 12-22-2017, 07:27 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by manimal
You guys are my heroes.
We're nothing! On the 991 GT3 forum there's a guy who puts snow tires on a Huracan Spyder and a 918 and drives them through the winter.b
Old 12-24-2017, 11:45 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim Wasmer
The more I look around I am leaning toward a 4S with a well sorted IMS/RMS record. I have had 4 of them and they were all great cars. Actually good MPG's and reliable. Plus I have tons of parts sitting around in the basement that I could use either on the TT or the 4S.
I would be hesitant to use an M96 engine in cold weather. The different metal used expands at different paces and causes cylinder chunking. According to Jake Raby, there are 28 different causes of catastrophic failure on the M96. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 12-25-2017, 12:22 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,461 Posts

^^^^
I hope your not serious....
Old 12-25-2017, 12:47 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

I would not joke about catastrophic engine failures. Have heard about many in our cold climates...very sad stories.
Old 12-25-2017, 03:01 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Sorry, that is absurd. Yup, there are some failure points, but to suggest that M96 engines shouldn't be driven in cold weather has got to be the ultimate chicken-little concern.
Old 12-25-2017, 10:46 AM
mxracer
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
I would be hesitant to use an M96 engine in cold weather. The different metal used expands at different paces and causes cylinder chunking. According to Jake Raby, there are 28 different causes of catastrophic failure on the M96. Good luck with whatever you decide.
That is funny right there.

1. These cars were designed and manufactured to be driven in a cold climate... Germany, which is actually farther north than you are. Not to mention being marketed in ALL parts of the world. The different expansion rates of the dissimilar metals are part of the design. Same as old air cooled VW engines. Nothing new with the M96 in that department and nothing that would be affected in cold weather.
2. Jake Raby is a fear monger who stirs up these types of things for business. It's just part of his business strategy.
Old 12-25-2017, 11:46 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,369 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by mxracer
That is funny right there.

1. These cars were designed and manufactured to be driven in a cold climate... Germany, which is actually farther north than you are. Not to mention being marketed in ALL parts of the world. The different expansion rates of the dissimilar metals are part of the design. Same as old air cooled VW engines. Nothing new with the M96 in that department and nothing that would be affected in cold weather.
2. Jake Raby is a fear monger who stirs up these types of things for business. It's just part of his business strategy.
really, so the m96 and the air cooled cars use the same type of cylinder liners??

Pretty ridiculous statement about jake raby. The m96 is a piece of junk every which way. While just about every engine porsche builds has serious issues, the m96 is by far the worst.
Old 12-25-2017, 12:10 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
just about every engine porsche builds has serious issues
this looks like a very strong statement
Old 12-25-2017, 12:51 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,369 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
this looks like a very strong statement
Ok, but isn't it true?

Mag cases, pop off valves, headstuds, thermal reactors, valve guides, d chunk, head cracks, bore scoring, coolant tubes, cam shaft sleeves spinning, dlc coatings, etc etc.

I'd actually grant you that the 996TT is one of the least problematic, along with the new 9a1s (although they do score also).

Quick Reply: How many of you Daily Drive your TT thru the snow of winter?