Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo (and Boxster) have a new stablemate....

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 08:51 PM
Ck986
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats on the new car. I think that the 160k miles are scaring people and keeping the trade-in low. I use to see wrecked but repaired turbos selling for 30k, so you should be able to get near that, especially if the car is in great shape. Good luck,
Old 12-19-2017, 08:54 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Hosewater2
50% seems high. When I turned in my Jeep the salesman said that they had a hard time selling the Hellcats in stock because everyone who wanted one ordered one, whereas the regular Hellcat inventory needed big discounts to move.
50% attrition rate does seem high but that's what the guy said. Even if one cuts it in half it is still a significant number.

Didn't even dip a toe into the Hellcat waters. Oh, I know the guy who I mentioned that bought one said -- when I asked -- he got some hundreds off of sticker.

Well, I dipped a small toe in the Hellcat waters. Couldn't help it cause often when I searched for R/Ts with the 392 engine Hellcats appeared even though I didn't have that model selected and it has a different engine. (6.2l)

From what I recall there seemed to be a good number of Hellcats for sale. Given this I think someone might be able to swing a very good deal for one. But no promises.
Old 12-19-2017, 11:45 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 237 Likes on 171 Posts

Macster,

First of all, congratulations on your new car purchase! A very cool car! I would hate for you to sell your TT and leave us. I enjoy reading your very knowledgeable posts, and would miss hearing from you. So, I hope you will keep her or him.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:03 AM
HBdirtbag
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
(I recall something similar back when I had my 2006 GTO. Guys were buying these and losing control.

I miss my '06 GTO at times!
Old 12-20-2017, 05:13 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 286 Likes on 197 Posts

Very nice.
We need pics of you smoking the tires.
Old 12-20-2017, 05:28 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by mffarrell
Macster,

First of all, congratulations on your new car purchase! A very cool car! I would hate for you to sell your TT and leave us. I enjoy reading your very knowledgeable posts, and would miss hearing from you. So, I hope you will keep her or him.
Thanks for that.

Sitting on the fence regarding keep or selling my 996 Turbo. Took a brief "tour" of BringATrailer web site and it does appear to be interesting way to sell a car.

Got to thinking about getting rid of both my Boxster and my 996 Turbo and buying a new Cayman (base or S I haven't decided but a 6-speed base is tempting). Found a base 718 Cayman but with a PDK. Car's in white like the Challenger. I don't know... two white cars?

Fun to play what if and right now that's all it is.
Old 12-20-2017, 05:31 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by soon2be993TT
I miss my '06 GTO at times!
My 2006 GTO was a great car. Rather small given how big an engine it had. But roomy inside. I rode in the back seat a couple of times and there was plenty of room. The car rode nice and handled nice too. 'course the power was nice, too.

Wish I could have kept it but i just couldn't keep techs from hot-rodding the heck out of the car whenever I brought it in for service.
Old 12-20-2017, 05:37 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
Very nice.
We need pics of you smoking the tires.
Probably not going to happen, although I just "discovered" Sport Mode this AM on the way to work.

Just priced tires for the thing. Not 996 Turbo tire expensive but approx. $200/tire. That's $400 for rear tires alone. And the same price for the front tires. This car has the same tire sizes all the way 'round.
Old 12-20-2017, 05:42 PM
s65e90
Drifting

Received 723 Likes on 501 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
My 2006 GTO was a great car. Rather small given how big an engine it had. But roomy inside. I rode in the back seat a couple of times and there was plenty of room. The car rode nice and handled nice too. 'course the power was nice, too.

Wish I could have kept it but i just couldn't keep techs from hot-rodding the heck out of the car whenever I brought it in for service.

2 diff animals. That car was Aussie, the new one is American. Good luck with it. I'd be interested in 911 if for sale. Let me know.

Thanks,
Old 12-20-2017, 08:53 PM
Gt3stig
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Macster
What color is your turbo?
thx.
Old 12-21-2017, 11:37 AM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by Gt3stig
Macster
What color is your turbo?
thx.
Arctic silver with black leather interior.
Old 12-21-2017, 12:16 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by s65e90
2 diff animals. That car was Aussie, the new one is American. Good luck with it. I'd be interested in 911 if for sale. Let me know.

Thanks,
You have PM.
Old 12-22-2017, 12:47 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 417 Likes on 284 Posts

Nice new ride! Keep the Turbo - look at it this way: if you were shopping and found that car at the same price you were given as a trade, and knowing all the maintenance and upkeep that has been done, wouldn't you be tempted to buy it at that number? It's not worth it to let it go at a firesale price, and that's what dealers offer on these cars. Hold on to it for a few months and if you find it is just taking up space and you need it gone, then sell it privately in the spring.

I have generally had seller's remorse much worse than buyer's remorse when I've traded/sold my toys.
Old 12-22-2017, 03:39 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by leftlane
Nice new ride! Keep the Turbo - look at it this way: if you were shopping and found that car at the same price you were given as a trade, and knowing all the maintenance and upkeep that has been done, wouldn't you be tempted to buy it at that number? It's not worth it to let it go at a firesale price, and that's what dealers offer on these cars. Hold on to it for a few months and if you find it is just taking up space and you need it gone, then sell it privately in the spring.

I have generally had seller's remorse much worse than buyer's remorse when I've traded/sold my toys.
Good advice^
Fresh cars are nice but you know your turbo's history and summer will make it more desirable.
I'd guess you have it completely documented and many buyers prefer a higher mile one with records vs. one passed around like a cheap
Hohoho, Merry Christmas, enjoy your new car!
Old 12-23-2017, 01:14 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by 911mhawk
Good advice^
Fresh cars are nice but you know your turbo's history and summer will make it more desirable.
I'd guess you have it completely documented and many buyers prefer a higher mile one with records vs. one passed around like a cheap
Hohoho, Merry Christmas, enjoy your new car!
Not going to give the Turbo away. If I can't get a reasonable price I can just hang on to the Turbo. I know its condition and have a convenient place to take it for service. 'course, it still runs just great and is a real kick to drive.

The Turbo might benefit from the fact my buying a new car kind of has the old juices flowing again. To the point I think I'll resume doing oil changes myself.

Wanted to do an early oil change for the Challenger -- like I did for my Cayman S -- and made a list of what I need and picked up some of it the other day: oil, filter, filter wrench. Still need Rhino Ramps, wheel chocks, some boards to put in front of the ramps, a box of mechanics gloves, some solvent, a roll of paper towels. Then I need to dig out my 3/8" rachet/socket set and my 3/8" torque wrench.

Speaking of oil, Chrysler says to use Pennzoil 0w-40 Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic oil (made from natural gas). Not sure where to buy this locally so I picked up 8 quarts (engine fill requires 7 quarts and I have one extra to top up the oil level should it drop) of Pennzoil 0w-40 Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic oil at the dealer the other day and guess what? This Challenger engine actually requires oil more expensive than the oil the Turbo engine requires. Even with a 10% discount at the Dodge dealer I still paid over $10/quart for the oil. The MoPar filter cost around $6. I seem to recall Mobil 5w-50 not costing that much per quart, although it ain't cheap.

Seems Chrysler used to spec Mobil 1 0w-40 -- the oil cap on the engine oil filler tube has "0w-40" on it -- but Chrysler and Mobil had a falling out I guess back when Chrysler went bankrupt some years back and Chrysler (or at that time Fiat (FCA?) which owned Chrysler) dropped Mobil oil and selected Pennzoil (which I think is now owned by Shell).

The official word is Chrysler specifies the Pennzoil oil because it is the only oil that meets some goofy Chrysler requirement -- MS-12633 I think -- that reads like it was written for oil used in cabs and fleet vehicles because the spec deals with the needs of engines that spend a lot of time idling is what I understand. While privately owned passenger vehicles do idle quite a bit, more than the owner might imagine, this specific oil spec seems a bit contrived.

Curious about this Pennzoil oil I did a comparison between the Pennzoil 0w-40 oil and Mobil 1 0w-40 oil and by the numbers the Mobil oil seems to "win".

Pour point: Mobil: -54C; Penn: -51F.
Flash point: Mobil: 236C; Penn: 224C.
Kinematic Viscosity at 40C: Mobil: 80 cSt; Penn: 74.9 cSt.
Kinematic Viscosity at 100C: Mobil : 14.3 cSt; Penn: 13.7 cSt.
Density: Mobil: 0.855 g/cc; Penn: 0.841 g/cc.

Have to mention even in what passes for cold weather here after some commute driving with the ambient temperature in the 40's the Challenger engine oil temperarture gets up to 219F to 221F. I'm not pushing the car hard by any stretch of the imagination either. Based on the rather elevated oil temperatures I'm seeing in winter I'm thinking I'd rather run Mobil 1 0w-40, or even 5w-50 oil like I run in both my Boxster and Turbo. Come summer and triple digit temperatures I can only imagine what oil temperatures will be.

Hot idle oil pressure is pretty good even with the oil so "hot". The digital/graphic dispaly shows oil pressure of 31psi which is 2.1 bar.

But Dodge specs this Pennzoil oil the engine in my car and I like to stay with what the automaker recommends for oil.

Anyhow, at the Dodge dealer picking up the oil and filter and checked with service about booking an oil change and was told I can bring the car in next Tuesday for an oil/filter service. Because I bought the car at the dealer the 1st service is free.

So I'll gather the stuff to change the Challenger oil and Turbo oil and even Boxster oil too to have next time but this first oil change will be done at the dealer.

Miles? When I bring the car in Tuesday it will have around 500 miles on it. Been driving it to work -- 60 miles/day. Because with the Turbo kind of for sale I wanted to keep from adding any more miles to it and the Boxster's in the shop and while I have a loaner -- Macan -- the new Challenger is well, new. And a Challenger.

Quick Reply: Turbo (and Boxster) have a new stablemate....