Sponsored by:

PSM On & ABS / Power Steering Quit on Sharp Turns

Old 12-02-2017, 11:53 PM
germanaudiotech
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PSM On & ABS / Power Steering Quit on Sharp Turns

2004 996 Turbo coupe manual.

Went for a spirited drive and on a couple sharp turns at higher speeds the Brake Pedal would get heavy, power steering would turn off. I get ABS lights on the dash. When I let off the gas and let the car slow and stabilize, the Power Steering and brake function normally again. The lights will turn themselves from on (in this condition) to off (when driving is corrected) while driving. This happened twice. Got spooked and drove home.

Does anyone know why this is happening?
Old 12-03-2017, 12:33 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by germanaudiotech
2004 996 Turbo coupe manual.

Went for a spirited drive and on a couple sharp turns at higher speeds the Brake Pedal would get heavy, power steering would turn off. I get ABS lights on the dash. When I let off the gas and let the car slow and stabilize, the Power Steering and brake function normally again. The lights will turn themselves from on (in this condition) to off (when driving is corrected) while driving. This happened twice. Got spooked and drove home.

Does anyone know why this is happening?
this reads as a momentary intervention of the normal abs/psm. though the "power steering off" reference sounds like an embellishment.

not that they are related. but aren't you the person that had all this difficulty recently with this shop in LA that you say trashed your car?

i think it might be that you need to re-learn your car, and perhaps unplug the psm if you're feeling frisky. don't be spooked. keep driving.
Old 12-03-2017, 12:44 AM
germanaudiotech
Advanced

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
this reads as a momentary intervention of the normal abs/psm. though the "power steering off" reference sounds like an embellishment.

not that they are related. but aren't you the person that had all this difficulty recently with this shop in LA that you say trashed your car?

i think it might be that you need to re-learn your car, and perhaps unplug the psm if you're feeling frisky. don't be spooked. keep driving.
The power steering will momentarily turn off, brake pedal will get stiff only under very sharp turning at high speeds. ABS lights turn on.

Otherwise normal turning and fast straight line driving it's fine. I added more power steering fluid thinking maybe it was just low. It was only about 1/4" off the bottom of the dipstick when cold.

When I turn off PSM everything seems to be OK. I don't know..
Old 12-03-2017, 08:56 AM
Third-Reef
Three Wheelin'

Received 160 Likes on 114 Posts

Check your tires, size, pressure, condition. I had non standard size tires on my car when i got it and the PSM would intervene often durin spirited driving (35 and 45 instead of 30 an 40 series). Got new PS2 N rated tires in the stock sizes and it has not happened at all in 10k miles. At least if i am not trying to break it loose.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:06 AM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Third-Reef
Check your tires, size, pressure, condition. I had non standard size tires on my car when i got it and the PSM would intervene often durin spirited driving (35 and 45 instead of 30 an 40 series). Got new PS2 N rated tires in the stock sizes and it has not happened at all in 10k miles. At least if i am not trying to break it loose.
Agreed, I'd check the tires first. My car had a similar issue when I bought it 3 years ago and it was a bit concerning. The previous owner had put on a set of new Falken FK453s on the rear right before I bought the car, while up front were a pair of half worn and very loud FK452s. Yep, he was a bit thrifty. Stock sizes btw.

As soon as I installed a set of fresh and matching front tires for about $250, the PSM intervention/buzzing went away.
Old 12-03-2017, 03:35 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

The power steering will momentarily turn off, brake pedal will get stiff only under very sharp turning at high speeds. ABS lights turn on.

Otherwise normal turning and fast straight line driving it's fine. I added more power steering fluid thinking maybe it was just low. It was only about 1/4" off the bottom of the dipstick when cold.

When I turn off PSM everything seems to be OK. I don't know..
I've never had any sense that the power steering has ever turned off, but abs/psm intervention is never "expected" so if one isn't familiar with it so i can see thinking that "steering" was also affected momentarily?
even though it shouldn't. though good idea, to keep the pentosin above the "minimum" line on the dipstick for sure.

i dunno. sounds weird.
Old 12-03-2017, 03:40 PM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Received 159 Likes on 130 Posts

I added more power steering fluid thinking maybe it was just low. It was only about 1/4" off the bottom of the dipstick when cold. I don't know..
Do you have a clutch reservoir overfilled?
Old 12-03-2017, 04:50 PM
germanaudiotech
Advanced

Originally Posted by Third-Reef
You're right. I just put on new tires. Reset the power to the car and I guess it 'relearned' them? I haven't had the issue at all. Also added Power Steering fluid. Everything is OK now.
Old 12-03-2017, 04:52 PM
germanaudiotech
Advanced

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
I've never had any sense that the power steering has ever turned off, but abs/psm intervention is never "expected" so if one isn't familiar with it so i can see thinking that "steering" was also affected momentarily?
even though it shouldn't. though good idea, to keep the pentosin above the "minimum" line on the dipstick for sure.

i dunno. sounds weird.
It was just PSM interfering. I've gotten it all sorted out. Car is so damn fast..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PSM On & ABS / Power Steering Quit on Sharp Turns