Sponsored by:

996 tt vs 991

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 10:46 AM
pfava1
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Atrox
I think the tide is turning and the 30 something’s who saw these at 16-18 years old is finally making good on their dream cars. I know I did. I could see myself in a newer 911 sure, but how much do you really pay attention to the interior when you are driving. I get smiles, pictures from cars behind me at red lights, and thumbs ups every time I drive it. Just bought the wife a 2017 x3 and every feature offered. Cool at first but they are mostly gimmicky. I just want to drive.
Wow, hit the nail on the head.
I just turned 30 this year and picked up my first Porsche, a 03 996tt 3 weeks ago. Traded in the VW for one. It was my dream car when I was in high school in 2003... Now I finally have my dream car. Figured I'd pick up the car before I get the wife/kids....
Old 11-29-2017, 10:56 AM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by pfava1
Wow, hit the nail on the head.
I just turned 30 this year and picked up my first Porsche, a 03 996tt 3 weeks ago. Traded in the VW for one. It was my dream car when I was in high school in 2003... Now I finally have my dream car. Figured I'd pick up the car before I get the wife/kids....

Great minds think alike. Careful a single guy in his 30’s with no kids and a Porsche will be inundated with marriage material inquiry requests. Stay strong my friend. Enjoy all the test drives!
Old 11-29-2017, 12:17 PM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Great minds think alike. Careful a single guy in his 30’s with no kids and a Porsche will be inundated with marriage material inquiry requests. Stay strong my friend. Enjoy all the test drives!
You guys are ahead of the curve, nice job.

I upgraded a well loved '07 WRX STi to '02 996 Turbo after kid #1...I bought my Turbo just about 3 years ago, when junior was about a year old. He loves the car and he'll be growing up with a Porsche Turbo in the garage for as long as it makes sense. Parked right to my Harley Road King.

Baby #2 arrived a year later....she's just starting to ask about Porsche rides.

Benefits of being an older dad I guess.

That being said, I've not driven a 991 but I have seat time in multiple 996 Turbos and a 997 Turbo. Whatever the new cars are offering, I don't need it for my weekend warrior. Exhaust + 100 octane tune + a few other mods = a fantastic driving experience!
Old 11-29-2017, 12:44 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Picked up the 996tt at 35 years old 3 years ago. Daughter is 9. I made my priorities family first with wife, daughter, house etc. The P-car purchase was with the wife’s blessing. I’m a blessed guy, but that came with a lot of hard work. The turbo is special to me in that it’s something I always wanted and put it on the side until time was right. So honestly if it was a 991 or 996 I’d still feel the same way.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:11 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
ABS brakes? Now, but not always, accepted as a standard 'save me' feature. Would you prefer your 996 Turbo without?
Yes.

Does a TPC DSC module on a PASM car that can provide calibrated shock dampening on an active basis detract or add to the art of 'mastering the machine'?
For me? It detracts.

Is a mechanical limited slip cheating because it helps you manage traction and braking?
No.

If so, than is achieving a similar or more advanced traction management effect that is achieved with computers, yaw sensors, and individual brake caliper control 'cheating' and ruining the challenge of skill mastery?
For me? Yes.

Old 11-30-2017, 01:14 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Road King
You guys are ahead of the curve
being 30 something and snagging your first porsche is not exactly what i'd call ahead of the curve? but points for choosing the marquee and all that matters, is that one gets one or 7. i've had kept and lost 911's over the last several decades as i might have, kids lol. at least the cars aren't mad at me. btw. congrats btw on your being able to enjoy taking your kids for rides in the jumpers!

that said, i am now of the age, that a shiny new 991s.2 would almost be sufficient for my daily demands of adrenochrome. oops sorry. i meat adrenaline.

but i cant see letting this one go! and i'm parking spot challenged. but as the days go by.. the 991.2S turbo charged pdk car, seems a decent "compromise".
Old 11-30-2017, 09:23 AM
Atrox
Drifting

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
being 30 something and snagging your first porsche is not exactly what i'd call ahead of the curve? but points for choosing the marquee and all that matters, is that one gets one or 7. i've had kept and lost 911's over the last several decades as i might have, kids lol. at least the cars aren't mad at me. btw. congrats btw on your being able to enjoy taking your kids for rides in the jumpers!

that said, i am now of the age, that a shiny new 991s.2 would almost be sufficient for my daily demands of adrenochrome. oops sorry. i meat adrenaline.

but i cant see letting this one go! and i'm parking spot challenged. but as the days go by.. the 991.2S turbo charged pdk car, seems a decent "compromise".
You can’t get a 991 you would suck the life out of this forum.
Old 11-30-2017, 05:33 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

You can’t get a 991 you would suck the life out of this forum.
lol i can handle being generally "disliked" in multiple forums for me, its merely the internet imitating life lol

;

Quick Reply: 996 tt vs 991