Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to safely hit top speed?

Old 12-05-2017, 12:28 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
There are many unresticted areas of the Autobahn where drivers regularly obtain speeds near 200mph.
Haven't been to germany in a while huh?

The unrestricted areas have dwindled in a big way and there are rare stretches where traffic is light enough to be able to even attempt 200mph. The number of fully straight stretches with entirely smooth pavement in which you'd want to attempt such things are even more rare.

While it does happen, lets not act like its a regular occurrence.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:31 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by Berra
General FYI, a stock manual X50 does 200+ mph tacho speed with no problem at all. I felt that there is more to give but gearing/rev limiter puts an end to it.
at that speed the chances your speedo is even remotely accurate is very small.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:43 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 956 Posts

Look up Silver State Challenge. Great opportunity safely experience high speed driving your Turbo. Each year you can, with proper safety equipment increase you speed. 110mph novice year one.

Any driver can push their cars to top speed. What often happens to Novice drivers is they simply dont appreciate how quickly things change as speed increases. The smallest driver input can make a huge difference. 80MPH driving on the freeway is not the same as 160mph. Track time helps as a safe learning environment.

Reaction time exponentially increases with speed. This is where error occur; late to react or overreact (to little or to much input) all from a lack of experience. You need to work your way up to high speed driving.

I have raced motorcycle before I was able to drive a car (legally) and raced cars since 18. My reactions at my current retirement age are good but not as good as they were.

Have fun. We only live once and for me adrenalin is one of the things that keep me alive.

Recognise the risk, prepare, be smart and have fun.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:53 PM
Berra
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
at that speed the chances your speedo is even remotely accurate is very small.
Im aware that tacho speed isn’t 100% accurate, that’s why I said tacho speed.

But it is pretty accurate as it’s only 8-10 mph off and that’s pretty good considering that most cars tend to show less accuracy the faster you go.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:48 PM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

There are GPS apps for your phone that show speed.
Old 12-05-2017, 02:36 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,429 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Haven't been to germany in a while huh?

The unrestricted areas have dwindled in a big way and there are rare stretches where traffic is light enough to be able to even attempt 200mph. The number of fully straight stretches with entirely smooth pavement in which you'd want to attempt such things are even more rare.

While it does happen, lets not act like its a regular occurrence.
I was in Germany a few months ago. In the unrestricted areas people had the hammer down. And if you follow YouTube someone posts a 200mph Autbahn run nearly every week. I consider that a regular occurrence.

I was also in Italy a while back and though the Autostrada has "speed limits" there were quite cars traveling flat out there too.

Last edited by Carlo_Carrera; 12-05-2017 at 02:51 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:21 PM
Berra
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM
There are GPS apps for your phone that show speed.
I have a racelogic performance box!
Old 12-06-2017, 05:26 PM
996tt350
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, I'm moving to Cincinnati and might try my luck at the Ohio Mile as a shakedown first!
Old 12-07-2017, 07:58 AM
ghostofpain
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 996tt350
Thanks guys, I'm moving to Cincinnati and might try my luck at the Ohio Mile as a shakedown first!
My advice would be to chose the right tire brand and the right size. So Michelin PS2 N3,N4 would be a good choice. Stock setup right tire pressure and you will be fine.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:06 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,429 Posts

https://www.autoblog.com/2017/12/11/...-mph-autobahn/
Old 01-01-2018, 06:10 AM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

I didn’t read all of the replies as I’ve immediately seen some scaremongering but hitting top speed in a 996 turbo? Walk in the park. Done it 20 times. I’ve stopped doing it because it is a bit pointless now having done it so many times. Simply ensure you have newish damage free tyres, check pressures, ensure road conditions are clear (cars free, difficult to find even on German autobahn nowadays) and away you go. I crack 327km/h (203mph) speedo indicated within 34 seconds form a standstill at which point limiter gently interferes. That’s it. I even held this speed through a slight bend on the German autobahn as car is totally planted. I do have PSS10s fitted though. On stock suspension car felt a bit floaty but made it to top speed on stock setup too without any problems. These cars feel rock solid at top speed the only other consideration would be knowing and trusting the mechanical condition of the car. I got mine new and is meticulously maintained and checked every year. So I trust it. I just wouldn’t take an unknown history car up to the top end as someone rightly said if something goes wrong it is most likely over. So it’s mind over mater really. How brave is your head, car will most probably hold.
Old 01-01-2018, 06:28 AM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Berra
It does, but pretty much everything we do is dangerous. There is a greater possibility that some drunk driver hits you than getting yourself killed by driving at 200 mph for a few seconds.

I €™ve been at 200 mph 40-50 times, probably more. It €™s fun and it €™s done rather quick with a good car. The 996 Turbo is one of those perfectly suited ones.

General FYI, a stock manual X50 does 200+ mph tacho speed with no problem at all. I felt that there is more to give but gearing/rev limiter puts an end to it.
Can be tweaked and upped by 500rpm. If I recall correctly this ups the top speed by 12mph. 😉. I just don’t see any point.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:27 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

+1^
car moves along nicely at 7100
Happy New Year everyone !
Old 01-01-2018, 10:54 AM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 996tt350
in order to run the ohio mile the changes needede to be made to the car will make it unstreetable. first and foremost a 10 point roll cage is required. the east coast timing association which runs the mile event has the strictest rules in the country

if you think the car is fast enough theres a 1/2 mile event in indiana just a few hrs away from cincy every yr. wont be able to hit top speed but you will see just how slow the car is compared to some very fast cars in the area
Old 01-01-2018, 09:35 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 269 Posts

Been doing high performance driving in one form or another for 60+ years and have learned that it's the unexpected you need to contend with. A serious crosswind on the back straight at VIR can move your car over a couple of feet. Had a fellow instructor friend of mine blown right off the track and he slid in the grass all the way into the concrete barriers. Best advice I can give the OP is that "You can't eat an elephant in one bite. Take little bites, one at a time." Basically, get experience and work your way up to "terminal velocity".

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to safely hit top speed?