Sponsored by:

Spoiler failure

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 06:16 PM
champignon
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rufrob
Such a timely issue. My left ram was leaking. After trying my best for several hours following the instructions with limited success I gave up and took it to my mechanic. I got the left one to work but it was twice as high as the right so I tried bleeding the right and only got it half as high as the left. Btw the right side has never been opened or bleed to my knowledge. The oil in it was yellowish brown with lots of black particles. He put the head of the ram into a bench vice. Pulled up on it/extended it. Stuck a small enough Allen key inside pushing down a valve inside the ram. That allowed the 5ml in easily. With rams attached stood the pump vertical opened the banjo bolt at the pump and filled it. Voila. Rams that extend high and even.
Hope this helps others.
I think paying $1000 for a rear spoiler is too much. Has anyone here tried the DuraFlex GT2?
My car has this GT2 wing installed on it, by the most recent former owner:

http://precision911.com/gt2-add-on-w...tt-146-pd.html

The guy who sold the car to me paid $1250 for it, however the price has been reduced to ~$1100, according to the webpage link above.
Old 11-24-2017, 11:55 AM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveCarrera4
We do have an economical 2" all electric kit. Along with the rennlist discount; perfect for those wanting to keep the wing functionality on a budget. Plus no more worries of failure. You can read about the dozen plus modes of the hydraulic system failure at our website. On our Facebook page you can follow development of a new Carrera GT eRam kit as well.

whats the the coupon code?
Old 11-25-2017, 07:57 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Atrox
whats the the coupon code?
Rennlist5off
Old 11-25-2017, 08:07 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Driving 75 on a hwy vs high speed on a track are two different animals. No one cares if some want to refute the Porsche engineers! Thats their perogative!
Then again there are a lot of arm chair advisors!
Old 11-26-2017, 06:23 PM
Third-Reef
Three Wheelin'

Received 160 Likes on 114 Posts

If you drive over 75 withe spoiler down, ( or up) you will die for sure. The only question to be answered is when.
Old 11-26-2017, 06:37 PM
Hosewater2
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The microswitches don't look the same, this one is missing a metal crosspiece...but I'm assuming that a broken switch wouldn't cause just the passenger side ram to fail right? And that ram is definitely seeping fluid....
Old 11-26-2017, 06:38 PM
Hosewater2
Instructor

...the more proximal one:
Old 11-26-2017, 09:33 PM
champignon
Pro

Originally Posted by Third-Reef
If you drive over 75 withe spoiler down, ( or up) you will die for sure. The only question to be answered is when.
In most cases, before your 100th birthday . . . .
Old 11-26-2017, 09:47 PM
Third-Reef
Three Wheelin'

Received 160 Likes on 114 Posts

That microswirch in tbe picture has the cover and lever ripped off of it. The pieces are most likely stuck in the ram assembly. If your micro switches look like the one in the picture, it is toast and neefs to be replaced. They are different part numbers, one is mormally open and the other normally closef. If you mix them up it will not work
Old 11-27-2017, 08:28 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hosewater2
The microswitches don't look the same, this one is missing a metal crosspiece...but I'm assuming that a broken switch wouldn't cause just the passenger side ram to fail right? And that ram is definitely seeping fluid....
You have just found one of the major issues with this contraption. Why they used an unsealed delicate little switch directly above a toasty hot turbo motor... ON ONE SIDE ONLY... shall always be a major design fault. Yes the switch could contribute to system failure (leakage) as it is the only thing that shuts off the hydraulic pump once end of travel is reached. There is a timer as well, but it is activated many seconds after the ram has reached its end point. This is one of many weak links in this mechanism waiting to fail.

The Carrera GT is the only version of hydraulic spoiler lift mechanism with upper and lower limit switches on both rams. Otherwise essentially the same principle. That mechanism carries a $24k replacement cost.
Old 11-29-2017, 11:18 AM
Hosewater2
Instructor

Well now I'm confused. I have both microswitches disconnected from the passenger side ram. They are individually/separately bubble wrapped. Sounds like they both broke from everyone's analysis of the pics above too. So this morning at 74 mph my driver side ram deployed and I got the light. Is this due to the residual switch pieces in the passenger ram??
Old 11-29-2017, 03:07 PM
dprantl
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the spoiler light comes on when the spoiler is trying to go *UP*, then the problem is the up microswitch or not enough pentosin in one/both rams causing the wing to not rise high enough on the passenger side to trigger the up microswitch (or another issue that is preventing the wing from rising high enough to trigger the up switch). If the spoiler light comes on when the spoiler goes *DOWN*, then it is a down microswitch problem or the wing somehow got stuck trying to go down. If you have the up switch disconnected, you will always get the spoiler warning when it tries to go up regardless of the actual spoiler operation.

Dan
Old 11-29-2017, 04:27 PM
Hosewater2
Instructor

Originally Posted by dprantl
If the spoiler light comes on when the spoiler is trying to go *UP*, then the problem is the up microswitch or not enough pentosin in one/both rams causing the wing to not rise high enough on the passenger side to trigger the up microswitch (or another issue that is preventing the wing from rising high enough to trigger the up switch). If the spoiler light comes on when the spoiler goes *DOWN*, then it is a down microswitch problem or the wing somehow got stuck trying to go down. If you have the up switch disconnected, you will always get the spoiler warning when it tries to go up regardless of the actual spoiler operation.

Dan
So how do I stop it from trying to put the spoiler up, and not get the warning? For those who have fixed theirs in the deployed position, how do you keep the light from going off?
Old 11-29-2017, 04:37 PM
champignon
Pro

Originally Posted by Hosewater2
So how do I stop it from trying to put the spoiler up, and not get the warning? For those who have fixed theirs in the deployed position, how do you keep the light from going off?
There are bypass wiring solutions available for this, either sold by themselves or potentially as part of a kit that might include hardware for fixing the wing in a set position. My 996 TT has a simple wiring bypass installed on it by the former owner. I would take a picture of it for you, however the car is up on a lift for the winter, above another car, and getting it down to take a picture would be a huge hassle.
Old 11-29-2017, 05:02 PM
Hosewater2
Instructor

Looks like this might work, might get same effect from just electrical taping that contact down too.

https://www.renntech.org/forums/topi...er-light-hack/

Quick Reply: Spoiler failure